Great teams that won nothing

That's a hell of a record.

I knew about them being serial bridesmaids around the turn of the millennium, but I had no idea they had won so little throughout their history:

1 German Cup and 1 UEFA Cup.

Are there any other teams who have won as many European trophies as domestic ones?

Forest have more European Cups than League championships.

6 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Newcastle in the 90s is a good shout. Even slightly past their peak they lost two fa cup finals in a row in 98 & 99 - I loved Shearer at the time and mind watching both games live and being gutted.

We really should have got to the UEFA Cup final in 2004 as well. Woodgate, Bellamy, Dyer, Jenas all being injured for the 2nd leg of the semi cost us. It's pretty unlikely we would have beaten Benitez' Valenica side in the final though, they were a great team.

The Strathaven Dynamos u13 team of 02/03 with players like Gordo, Jamsey, Wee Figo, Big Figo and Plop. Cheated out the league by a team with obviously overage players and then cheated out the cup final by a ref who was related to one of the boys in the opposition. The team was then picked to pieces by pro youth sides at the end of the season. 

Many sleepless nights have been spent pondering just what could have been. The likes will never be seen again. 

10 hours ago, Forest_Fifer said:
On 24/04/2020 at 16:12, Carl Cort said:
That's a hell of a record.
I knew about them being serial bridesmaids around the turn of the millennium, but I had no idea they had won so little throughout their history:
1 German Cup and 1 UEFA Cup.
Are there any other teams who have won as many European trophies as domestic ones?

Forest have more European Cups than League championships. If you include FA Cup and UEFA Super Cup, its 3-3

Forest also won the league cup a couple of times in the late seventies

Guest JTS98
On 26/04/2020 at 08:37, Lyle Lanley said:

Hibs in the 00/01 season pushed the old firm very close in the league. 

Eh?

They had a good start, but that was a run-of-the-mill team that had a run-of-the-mill third-place finish.

31 point off top, 16 points off 2nd. Their points total was 20 behind the average required over the next five seasons to finish second. Even Rangers' catastrophic third-place team from 2006 managed 7 points more than this Hibs team.

They lost 3-0 and 5-2 to Celtic and lost 4-0 to Rangers on the way to taking 6 points out of an available 24 from the Old Firm.

Closer to Hearts in fifth than they were to Rangers in second. Picked up fewer points than Levein's Hearts team of 2003-04, which few eulogize.

Edited by JTS98

17 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

I'm still raging that we never won the Scottish Cup in 2014

Delicious.

Still see United fans claiming they lost the game, rather than Saints winning it, utterly oblivious to fact they hadnt even scored against Saints in the previous 3 games and had been comfortably beaten in them all.

Edited by RandomGuy.

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Delicious.

Still see United fans claiming they lost the game, rather than Saints winning it, utterly oblivious to fact they hadnt even scored against Saints in the previous 3 games and had been comfortably beaten in them all.

Well United did lose that final, or Saints won it. They both mean the same thing. 

The 4-2-3-1 that JMac insisted on playing clearly didn't work against St Johnstone, as it was found out the 3 previous times as you say. It's just frustration as we had the better Starting XI and their output was less than the sum of their parts in that Final.

5 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

It's just frustration as we had the better Starting XI 

7 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Delicious.

On 26/04/2020 at 01:37, Lyle Lanley said:

Hibs in the 00/01 season pushed the old firm very close in the league. 

59407171_Montycringe.png.d29b2a5dd1682a64b9e8f361a55a0d12.png They really didn't.

They hardly won a match after new year and the away form was as shite as any other season. Once Latapy stopped giving any fucks it was all over.

Going back to the 90’s, I followed and watched games in Spain and Italy and lot more intently. I forget the particular years, but I remember getting that whole ‘rooting for the underdog’ thing. 

In Spain, there was a season mid-90’s when Deportiva La Corina were strong contenders and should’ve won something. Donato and Bebeto were the stand out players.

In Italy, (again can’t remember the season) Fiorentina broke from the traditionally defensive Italian style, playing attacking football that was great to watch. Batistuta and Edmundo were their front two and on fire with Fiorentina top of the league pushing for the title. Then in the run-in it fell apart when Batistuta got injured and notorious nutter Edmundo exercised a clause in his contract allowing him to f**k off to the Rio Carnival mid-season  which he did and kicked the arse right out it! 😄

7 hours ago, 8MileBU said:

Going back to the 90’s, I followed and watched games in Spain and Italy and lot more intently. I forget the particular years, but I remember getting that whole ‘rooting for the underdog’ thing. 

In Spain, there was a season mid-90’s when Deportiva La Corina were strong contenders and should’ve won something. Donato and Bebeto were the stand out players.

In Italy, (again can’t remember the season) Fiorentina broke from the traditionally defensive Italian style, playing attacking football that was great to watch. Batistuta and Edmundo were their front two and on fire with Fiorentina top of the league pushing for the title. Then in the run-in it fell apart when Batistuta got injured and notorious nutter Edmundo exercised a clause in his contract allowing him to f**k off to the Rio Carnival mid-season  which he did and kicked the arse right out it! 😄

Deportivo had a great team but they did win stuff - in 1995 they won the Copa del Rey and they did win the league a few years later.  I think they;'ve gone bankrupt since?

33 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Deportivo had a great team but they did win stuff - in 1995 they won the Copa del Rey and they did win the league a few years later.  I think they;'ve gone bankrupt since?

I couldn’t remember, just that there was a season when it looked like they really had a good chance of La Liga but fell at the final hurdle.

I couldn’t remember, just that there was a season when it looked like they really had a good chance of La Liga but fell at the final hurdle.

Missed a stoppage time penalty in the final match which if scored would have made them champions

http://www.oldschoolpanini.com/2018/02/the-most-heartbreaking-penalty-miss.html?m=1