Great teams that won nothing

Inspired by the 'Ordinary Team- Great achievement' thread, which are our favourite glorious failures from football history? 

I'm going to show great restraint and resist picking Keegan's Newacastle side:

Liverpool 13/14

As ridiculous as Brendan Rodgers is, and as funny as their eventual collapse was, they were the most exciting English team I've seen in my life-time. Over 100 league goals and one of the last great strike partnerships with Suarez and Sturridge getting 52 between them. When they were 3-0 up against Palace in that 3-3 game at Selhurst Park (which is one of the greatest Premier League games IMO) it was looking like they might need to beat Newcastle  7 or 8 nil on the last day to have any chance at the title. It says a lot for how good they were that I was genuinely worried that they would do it.

Netherlands- Euro 2008

An incredible counter-attacking team. Blitzed a decent Italy side 3-0 in their opening group game and followed it up by hammering France 4-1 in their next match before being knocked out in the quarters by Russia having scored 10 goals in only 4 games. Although this Euros is remembered as being the start of Spain's dominance of international football, my abiding memory is of the Oranje streaming forwards on yet another lightning counter.

Bayer Leverkusen at the turn of the century - League runners-up 97, 99, 00, 02; Cup runners up 02 and Champions League runners up 02.  In 2000 they needed a draw against SpVgg Unterhaching to win the title, but Michael Ballack scored an own goal as they lost 2–0. Then in 2002 they blew a 5 point lead to Borussia Dortmund, losing two of their last three games.

They still haven't won anything.

Edited by GordonS

46 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Netherlands- Euro 2008

An incredible counter-attacking team. Blitzed a decent Italy side 3-0 in their opening group game and followed it up by hammering France 4-1 in their next match before being knocked out in the quarters by Russia having scored 10 goals in only 4 games. Although this Euros is remembered as being the start of Spain's dominance of international football, my abiding memory is of the Oranje streaming forwards on yet another lightning counter.

I find it incredible that the Netherlands have only won the Euros once. They have had some wonderful teams down the years.

17 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Bayer Leverkusen at the turn of the century - League runners-up 97, 99, 00, 02; Cup runners up 02 and Champions League runners up 02.  In 2000 they needed a draw against SpVgg Unterhaching to win the title, but Michael Ballack scored an own goal as they lost 2–0. Then in 2002 they blew a 5 point lead to Borussia Dortmund, losing two of their last three games.

They still haven't won anything.

That's a hell of a record.

I knew about them being serial bridesmaids around the turn of the millennium, but I had no idea they had won so little throughout their history:

1 German Cup and 1 UEFA Cup.

Are there any other teams who have won as many European trophies as domestic ones?

2 hours ago, The Gypsy King said:

I find it incredible that the Netherlands have only won the Euros once. They have had some wonderful teams down the years.

To be honest, even though we had a good side in 2008, I'd say that the teams in 1998 and 1974 were both significantly better.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

2011-15 Dundee United shocking that we never won a trophy, goes to JMac's poor management skills

What?

The Yugoslavia team in the late 80s and early 90s were excellent and while winning the World Cup would've been a step too far, Euro 92 is one they could easily have made a challange at.  

They made the quarter finals of Italia 90 and had a squad with Panchez, Stoijkovic, Boksic, Prosiniecki, Savicevic, Suker.

That's a hell of a record.

I knew about them being serial bridesmaids around the turn of the millennium, but I had no idea they had won so little throughout their history:

1 German Cup and 1 UEFA Cup.

Are there any other teams who have won as many European trophies as domestic ones?

Looking through the list of European trophy winners Parma stick out. Two UEFA Cups, one Cup Winners Cup and one UEFA Super Cup. In Italy, three Coppa Italia's and one Supercoppa Italiana. Zero Scudettos.

Villareal are an interesting small club as well. Two Intertoto Cups but their only domestic honours are two 4th division title wins in the 50s and 60s. Only reached La Liga for the first time in 98/99. I presume they must have went on a spending spree to get promoted and then aquire the likes of Forlan and Riquelme.

This is coming from wiki so it may not be entirely accurate.

Brazil's early 80's side is probably the best international example. They also failed in the Copa Americas either side of Spain '82, which considering the talent at their disposal was pretty ridiculous.

The Netherlands though aren't far behind with quality sides in '74, not to mention having a line up for Italia '90 that included Gullit, Rijkaard and Van Basten. After that they seemed to put a lot of effort into getting fucked out of tournaments in hilarious fashion, or not even qualifying because they continually fell out with each other. Was it Euro 2000 where they were knocked out by Italy, somehow missing 6 penalties during the 120 mins and shoot-out? Mental. 

Denmark in Euro '84 and Mexico '86 were a side with huge potential but shat it against Spain on both occasions. They seemed to be everyone's favourite other team during Mexico '86 after absolutely pumping Uruguay 6-1. When they finally won something in 1992 it was a complete shock as they had replaced Yugoslavia and were massive underdogs right through the tournament. 

Thinking back to Leverkusen, Schalke lost a title on the last day in ludicrous/dodgy fashion as well. They also seemed there or thereabouts for a few seasons and managed to win a UEFA Cup. 

Guest JTS98
8 hours ago, Marten said:

To be honest, even though we had a good side in 2008, I'd say that the teams in 1998 and 1974 were both significantly better.

74 was well before my time so I need to go on what others say, but the 1998 team was ridiculously talented. I always thought that Brazil winning that shoot-out robbed football of what could have been a tremendous World Cup final in '98.

The 2008 teams wasn't at the same level, but was obviously strong. Their form at the beginning of that tournament as remarkable, but then tournaments are full of teams that come out the blocks quickly and then fall away. The 98 team did the opposite in only winning one game in the group stage.

Would have been very worthy winners.

Edited by JTS98

Guest JTS98
10 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Schalke lost a title on the last day in ludicrous/dodgy fashion as well. They also seemed there or thereabouts for a few

seasons and managed to win a UEFA Cup. 

The four minute champions.

10 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Newcastle in the 90s is a good shout. Even slightly past their peak they lost two fa cup finals in a row in 98 & 99 - I loved Shearer at the time and mind watching both games live and being gutted.

Possibly why they lost them...