Dundee Derbies Tonight

That was fun.

I don't remember Rob McLean's hair seeming quite so ridiculous back then, but I do remember Derek Johnstone being just such a pointless twat.

I went to Dundee's next game with my old Dad and they were utterly hopeless, offering nothing at all.

That 1995/96 division is almost certainly the strongest second tier that there has ever been in Scottish football. While pub teams like Queen of the South and Ayr United were slumming it below a parade of plumbers and fishermen outfits in the seaside leagues.

Hearts v Hibernian - Page 3 - Scottish Premiership General Chatter ...

I worked with Paul Tosh a few years go, you could tell he absolutely loved himself, came across as a right arrogant c**t

We called him Tall Pish, pish by name, pish by nature. A big strong laddie with fuçk all ability.

34 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Sir, you cannot be serious. Alan Preston levels of shiteness.  Had me hankering for Archie all the way through it.

I must disagree.

Archie Macpherson was a total blether. Never took to his commentary.

Edited by DA Baracus

8 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I must disagree.

Archie Macpherson was a total blether. Never took to his commentary.

There was a certain poetic beauty to Archie though. Try "Mcstay ooft, hits the post with monotonous venom" or "seemed to duck under the ball, an inexplicable ducking of the head."  That's some good shit right there. 

Enjoyed that tonight, although no replacement for what should have been happening.

Sportscene of that era was something else, though. The opening titles were like an animated version of that early 90s Scotland strip, the post-match interviews were outstanding for all the wrong reasons, and Derek “he won’t say it publicly but I’ll say it now privately” Johnstone really makes you appreciate “Mikey”, “Thommo” and “Faddy”. 

Tonight also reaffirmed my belief that Jim Duffy was born middle-aged. 

Edited by The Master

4 hours ago, Doctor said:

I worked with Paul Tosh a few years go, you could tell he absolutely loved himself, came across as a right arrogant c**t

Thick as f**k. He used to play golf at Letham Grange and pay on his mates, although I don't think he actually understood currency. More than once he'd pay the three of them on at £7.50 a head and not realise that a £20 note wasn't enough. 

Aberdeen also had a team outing there. A bunch of utter wankers. Billy Dodds and some other c**t decided it would be a right laugh to try to flood the locker room. Jug-eared p***k. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

That 1995/96 division is almost certainly the strongest second tier that there has ever been in Scottish football. While pub teams like Queen of the South and Ayr United were slumming it below a parade of plumbers and fishermen outfits in the seaside leagues.

Hearts v Hibernian - Page 3 - Scottish Premiership General Chatter ...

Definitely the strongest 2nd tier I can remember. The top four of Dunfermline, United, Morton and St Johnstone were all excellent and generally free-scoring sides. We shat it after losing the cup final and finished well adrift in fifth. Iirc Morton had a chance to take the play off spot but drew 2-2 against United at the end of the season. 

Watching this now. Archie's DAKS jacket at the very start is resplendent. A thing of absolute beauty. 

Edit : Jim McLean showing a young Donald Trump how the comb over is done. 

Edited by Dele

Switched it off as soon as Gerry Britton come on looking like a fucking Biffy Clyro fan. Not on. 

Decent watch. I absolutely love a silk man in the middle of the park and Weighorst is right up there. Hopefully wee Fin carries on as he has as he has the attributes to be there. 

Pressley was, unsurprisingly, shite. How he had such a career despite being so poor at anything other than kicking it clear 6 yards out is sad. 

Was fun seeing Mr Burns s ore for United on his 500th appearance. 

1837799252_download(1).jpeg.2b5d80c94934d45a062868786b8601c1.jpeg

I honestly have no recollection of that guy Manley. Absolutely none. 

Finally. What a fucking celebration. 

1189956799_ShawMcCannDuffyHamilton.JPG.023e13c556a5ec99cd71c2240fb3ead6.JPG

Choo! Choo! Muthafuckas. 8)

13 hours ago, Dele said:

Switched it off as soon as Gerry Britton come on looking like a fucking Biffy Clyro fan. Not on. 

Took me a second to realise who that was!

Thankfully he'd cut his hair by the time he signed for us the next season. Very good player, despite his odd running style. He used to get called Jelly Britton for it. He used to always look knackered but was was actually a fit guy (sit down!).

In first year English in 1997 we had to do a solo talk on someone we admired. For some reason I did it on Jelly and brought in my Panini sticker of him to accompany said talk.

We signed George Shaw the season after. He was average at best by then. Greg Shaw was better (Oli Shaw is his son). I used to think they were brothers.