Sharing the 2020 Domestic Cup Trophies – Between teams left

I am dead against declaring any of the domestic trophies null and void, when they are well into the season, and almost completed.

I agree with the league places being awarded on the positions taking into account games in hand.

But what about the domestic cups?  

The Scottish FA Cup, and the Scottish Challenge Cup., 

My view is share the trophies. 

The Scottish FA Cup only has two semi finals and a final to play.

But should they be played with lockdown in full motion?

Would it be controversial to declare, Aberdeen, Glasgow  Celitc, Hearts,  and Hibs joint winners?

What about sharing the trophy between the remaining four teams?

It would be controversial to declare four teams as joint winners, but look at the old rugby union 5 nations championship in one year in 1973 all five team shared the trophy. 

The Scottish Challenge Cup could be shared. between Inverness CT and Raith Rovers. 

They only have one game to play, after an interesting season in the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup.

Glasgow Rangers under 21 side had the most interesting run beating teams from Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

It was a really interesting Challenge Cup season. But it might be difficult to play the final. 

The other alternative is to play the games behind closed doors.. Maybe I have an odd sense of humour , but I would find it amusing, as an historian of Scottish football,  for a cup final to have an attendance of zero. But I see that the main problem is clubs travelling 100's of miles to play in front of no one, but a TV audience.  

I think sharing the cups would be a solution to the problem. 

It would mean Aberdeen's first Scottish FA Cup since 1990. 

It would mean Hearts and Hibs both win a trophy. So that should keep both rivals happy.  

It would mean Glasgow Celtic become the first team to win 4 Scottish FA Cups in a row. 

Sharing trophies has happened in Scottish football before on a major occasion. 

Dumbarton and Glasgow Rangers shared the first Scottish League title. 

In England the Charity Shield was shared every so often when the teams drew. They used to not have a penalty shootout, or replay, so that if the teams drew the cup would be shared. The last time it was shared was in 1991 when North London rivals Spurs and Arsenal shared the trophy.   

Liverpool were shared Charity shield winners 5 times.

The precursor to the charity shield,  the  Sheriff of London Charity Shield was also shared by Queen's Park in 1899 with Aston Villa. Queen's Park, of Glasgow were invited to take part in the two team trophy that season. The year previous it was shared between Corinthian, and Sheffield United

In rugby the old five nations was shared tonnes of times.

The last time it was shared was in 1988 between the French and the Welsh. France and Scotland shared it in 1986. 

Being joint champions of the Home nations or 5 nations Championship at rugby union was very common in the olden days. 

In total England were joint champions of the rugby home nations or 5 nations, 10 times, France  8 times, Ireland 9 times, Scotland 9 times and Wales 12 times. 

So what does everyone think about the cups being shared between the participating teams left.?

Edited by Thistle Scotland Europe
Add a questiuon mark? Correction.

In all seriousness, given the number of matches and matchdays required to complete the competitions, getting them played isn't beyond the realms of possiblity this year...... more than likely behind closed doors.

Guest JTS98

I'd rather forget about it than share it.

What's the point in sharing a cup win four ways? Even two ways? It would just be meaningless.

Play the games or write it off.

There are 3 games to be played in the Scottish Cup and 1 in the Challenge Cup. If they can't be played this season anymore, just play them at the start of next season. That will be easy enough to fit in.

7 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

I am dead against declaring any of the domestic trophies null and void, when they are well into the season, and almost completed.

I agree with the league places being awarded on the positions taking into account games in hand.

But what about the domestic cups?  

The Scottish FA Cup, and the Scottish Challenge Cup., 

My view is share the trophies. 

The Scottish FA Cup only has two semi finals and a final to play.

But should they be played with lockdown in full motion?

Would it be controversial to declare, Aberdeen, Glasgow  Celitc, Hearts,  and Hibs joint winners?

What about sharing the trophy between the remaining four teams?

It would be controversial to declare four teams as joint winners, but look at the old rugby union 5 nations championship in one year in 1973 all five team shared the trophy. 

The Scottish Challenge Cup could be shared. between Inverness CT and Raith Rovers. 

They only have one game to play, after an interesting season in the Tunnock's Caramel Wafer Challenge Cup.

Glasgow Rangers under 21 side had the most interesting run beating teams from Scotland, England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

It was a really interesting Challenge Cup season. But it might be difficult to play the final. 

The other alternative is to play the games behind closed doors.. Maybe I have an odd sense of humour , but I would find it amusing, as an historian of Scottish football,  for a cup final to have an attendance of zero. But I see that the main problem is clubs travelling 100's of miles to play in front of no one, but a TV audience.  

I think sharing the cups would be a solution to the problem. 

It would mean Aberdeen's first Scottish FA Cup since 1990. 

It would mean Hearts and Hibs both win a trophy. So that should keep both rivals happy.  

It would mean Glasgow Celtic become the first team to win 4 Scottish FA Cups in a row. 

Sharing trophies has happened in Scottish football before on a major occasion. 

Dumbarton and Glasgow Rangers shared the first Scottish League title. 

In England the Charity Shield was shared every so often when the teams drew. They used to not have a penalty shootout, or replay, so that if the teams drew the cup would be shared. The last time it was shared was in 1991 when North London rivals Spurs and Arsenal shared the trophy.   

Liverpool were shared Charity shield winners 5 times.

The precursor to the charity shield,  the  Sheriff of London Charity Shield was also shared by Queen's Park in 1899 with Aston Villa. Queen's Park, of Glasgow were invited to take part in the two team trophy that season. The year previous it was shared between Corinthian, and Sheffield United

In rugby the old five nations was shared tonnes of times.

The last time it was shared was in 1988 between the French and the Welsh. France and Scotland shared it in 1986. 

Being joint champions of the Home nations or 5 nations Championship at rugby union was very common in the olden days. 

In total England were joint champions of the rugby home nations or 5 nations, 10 times, France  8 times, Ireland 9 times, Scotland 9 times and Wales 12 times. 

So what does everyone think about the cups being shared between the participating teams left.?

Could that possibly be because the season was finished and all the teams had the same number of points?

3 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Could that possibly be because the season was finished and all the teams had the same number of points?

Genuinely astonished anyone read that far.

10 hours ago, JTS98 said:

I'd rather forget about it than share it.

What's the point in sharing a cup win four ways? Even two ways? It would just be meaningless.

Play the games or write it off.

This. Insert patter about us having no chance anyway but I've long stopped caring about this year's cup. We're not going to be playing games anytime soon and if this ends up being a write off, so be it. If it can be factored in next season, that'll be a nice wee bonus. I definitely don't want a shared trophy.

I agree that it's a nonsense to share trophies. How would it work? When the lockdown ends, do the clubs have an open top bus each with the fans celebrating their triumph then going home and watching the highlights of their quarter/semi final win? Does the trophy go into possession of each club for 3 or 6 months? Play them next season or scrap them completely like the withheld Scottish cup in 1909. A nonsense idea!