Best and worst shirt sponsors

That new hibs shirt made me think...

What brands have made you cringe when they’ve associated themselves with your club and which have been welcome?

I used to think that the UNICEF logo n the Barca shirt was cool so I liked it when we got “Save the Children” almost as much as I hated “Wonga” on the jersey

s-l400.jpg.4c4627c137539e7517f48f3eb3e2a263.jpg

Absolutely despised Taylor Wimpey the moment that monstrosity what put on a Saints top.

They redeemed themselves by taking away the "egg" the next season, but it was too late.

9 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

I used to think that the UNICEF logo n the Barca shirt was cool

I always thought that was just there to get an excuse to get a sponsor on the shirt and get folk used to it so they could then sell the sponsor space a year or two later without howls of derision

I always thought that was just there to get an excuse to get a sponsor on the shirt and get folk used to it so they could then sell the sponsor space a year or two later without howls of derision

Well if it was just a cynical attempt at deception it worked on the younger me.

9 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Well if it was just a cynical attempt at deception it worked on the younger me.

They're doing the same thing now with "naming rights" to the Nou Camp. Seems it's never had an "official" name so they're gonna let a charity take the name for a year.

Will be the Camp Bin Khalifa by 2023

They're doing the same thing now with "naming rights" to the Nou Camp. Seems it's never had an "official" name so they're gonna let a charity take the name for a year.

Will be the Camp Bin Khalifa by 2023

I was going to point out that Catalans calling it “Camp Nou” (the new ground) six decades after its construction is a bit silly but then I remembered that I’m writing this not far from Edinburgh’s Georgian “New Town” so I’m in no position to judge

Scarborough FC, sponsored by Black Death vodka, 1990/91. Shirt banned by the FA before the start of the season on grounds of tastelessness / being inimical to sporting values (in the charming innocent days before mass shirt sponsorship by Chinese betting synidcates and money launderers)

1990-1991-scarborough-banned-football-shirt-small-5137-1-p[ekm]1000x750[ekm].jpg

1 hour ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

rochdale-home-football-shirt-1988-1989-s_18251_1.jpg.872fd17727cc52dcc7a6c4c101168670.jpg

Rochdale AFC, sponsored in the late eighties by the All in One Garden Centre. Rochdale, poor as church mice, had to swallow their pride and be pimped out by Percy Thrower for a wee bit of extra cash. 

Mind when Percy Thrower got shot?

Spent about 20 years thinking I was the only person who remembered it afore Google came along and helped me out by confirming he was indeed shot.

Edited by Junior Pub League

Think we've been lucky in our shirt sponsors. Can't think of any that were bad in the design. Couple were downright iconic, especially Landmark.

Current one is good and nicely understated.