Amateur following WOSFL

Need to get fit

50 minutes ago, Need to get fit said:

I think something will need to be done to improve the game at our level, to many teams and different leagues imo 

There's distinct leagues covering Aberdeenshire, Tayside, Perthshire, Fife, Edinburgh & Lothians, Borders, Stirling (kind of) and Ayrshire - but basically four separate leagues covering the greater Glasgow area. See map below, which features the locations of the top division in each league (in 2018/19).

That can't be healthy - amateur football should be regionalised and with distinct leagues for each geographic area, if players or clubs want to play further afield they can move up to the WOS or EOS.

Screenshot_2020-04-23 Scottish Amateur Football Clubs - by leagues – Google My Maps.png

Edited by Ginaro

That reply was more to ginaros about amateur football should be regionalised.... As for amateur teams getting promoted to the wosfl a don't know if that would work for that to happen there would have to be a team relegated which won't happen as I am assuming most teams in the wosfl shall be paying their players. If amateur teams want to take the step up then that's fine but they would have to do it the way Drumchapel Glasgow uni and the other amateur teams have done to gain access to wosfl. 

24 minutes ago, Kickbaw said:

Regionalised leagues aren't the answer either one or two teams could potentially win everything every season who wants that hence why the caley and central have teams from a few different regions.

Same could happen in any of the other leagues I listed though, but would you get a Fife team going to LEAFA or an Ayrshire team going to Glasgow if they won everything?

I don't think the current setup helps in that regard either - Caley and Central seem to cover the same area, so you're basically diluting the quality of both. If one teams keeps winning everything in each league, where do they go from there?

30 minutes ago, Kickbaw said:

As for amateur teams getting promoted to the wosfl a don't know if that would work for that to happen there would have to be a team relegated which won't happen as I am assuming most teams in the wosfl shall be paying their players.

Unless you abolished the senior/amateur status like in England and the leagues were properly integrated, I don't think you would need to relegate a team from the WOS so that an amateur team can join.

5 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Unless you abolished the senior/amateur status like in England and the leagues were properly integrated, I don't think you would need to relegate a team from the WOS so that an amateur team can join.

I think this needs to happen anyway.

It's not going to be any worse than when it was juniors.... In my view as it stands just now its still the juniors just rebranded.... The junior leagues never killed the amateur game so why should the wos. There is enough good amateur teams about that if a player was good enough to progress it would happen amateur to wos anyway.