Coffee Makers

Personally I think it's more about the coffee / grind than the coffee machine. 

Buy a nice coffee and grind it with a half decent hand grinder, then use an aeropress, cafetiere, Moka pot or drip filter (whatever you have) and you'll get some lovely coffee. 

No need to spend hundreds on a fancy all singing all dancing coffee machine.

Ok, I’ll bait the bots. But also a serious question;

I like Americano, I am also partial to a large latte. But the near £3 the local bakers take off me (and the glowers from the queue behind as the daft old bint takes 10mins to make it) mean I’m in the market. 

Just a coffee, home made, not instant, no pfaffing for cleaning etc; Amazon Prime purchase preferred. Any helpers out there please? 

Ok, I’ll bait the bots. But also a serious question;
I like Americano, I am also partial to a large latte. But the near £3 the local bakers take off me (and the glowers from the queue behind as the daft old bint takes 10mins to make it) mean I’m in the market. 

Just a coffee, home made, not instant, no pfaffing for cleaning etc; Amazon Prime purchase preferred. Any helpers out there please? 

Aeropress

Got this about a year ago and finally got it out of the box and figured out how to work it, which took a few "learning experiences". It's brilliant though, coffee beans in the top, fill up the water, click go and coffee comes out. Lasts about 10 cups before refilling. No mess, the coffee remains fill a built in container with little cakes which you have to empty every so often, and the pipes flush out regularly as part of the procedure. Still fine tuning the settings, but well chuffed. Was feeling guilty about the waste using pods. Nespresso "India" pods were the best btw, ordered some Kerala beans that I hope will surpass them in the machine. 

On 09/04/2020 at 20:16, superbigal said:

Mines a beauty. Got decent price from amazon not quite perfect site. Beans are incredibly cheap. It also does ground coffee but that's for peasants. 20200409_201507.thumb.jpeg.18edc23180501b496be14387478b335d.jpeg

Edited by welshbairn

Saw an advert for a Philips 5400 and it has kinda caught my eye.

I've got a Tassimo atm which is fine, but with the reduction in pod pack sizes, and the associated costs with the wife's ability to go through lattes like they are going out of fashion, now might be a good time to invest in a bean to cup machine. It would need to be automatic as well, as I have no intention of learning how to steam milk and become a barista on demand.

Has anyone got any experience of either it or the 4300 that can pass any comment on it?

Edited by Todd_is_God

56 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've got a Tassimo atm which is fine, but with the reduction in pod pack sizes, and the associated costs with the wife's ability to go through lattes like they are going out of fashion, now might be a good time to invest in a bean to cup machine. It would need to be automatic as well, as I have no intention of learning how to steam milk and become a barista on demand.

Has anyone got any experience of either it or the 4300 that can pass any comment on it?

We have a DeLonghi Magnifica bean-to-cup and we're really pleased with it.

The milk gets heated in the mug in the microwave before putting the coffee in. So, you can bypass the steamer.

On 22/10/2021 at 22:49, welshbairn said:

Got this about a year ago and finally got it out of the box and figured out how to work it, which took a few "learning experiences". It's brilliant though, coffee beans in the top, fill up the water, click go and coffee comes out. Lasts about 10 cups before refilling. No mess, the coffee remains fill a built in container with little cakes which you have to empty every so often, and the pipes flush out regularly as part of the procedure. Still fine tuning the settings, but well chuffed. Was feeling guilty about the waste using pods. Nespresso "India" pods were the best btw, ordered some Kerala beans that I hope will surpass them in the machine. 

The Mrs and I were just looking at this machine, is it easy to use as the Mrs is absolutely useless with “technology “ 😂 I’m looking for something she can use without her shouting for help every time she uses it.

59 minutes ago, budmiester1 said:

The Mrs and I were just looking at this machine, is it easy to use as the Mrs is absolutely useless with “technology “ 😂 I’m looking for something she can use without her shouting for help every time she uses it.

Once it's set up it's very easy, press "on" and then a button with a cup sign. You have to keep the coffee and water topped up obviously, lasts about ten cups, and leave a jug under the spouts when you're not pouring coffee as it flushes the pipes clean when you switch it on, the cup sign flashes until its done, then you switch the jug for your mug and click the cup sign. I haven't tried the steamer yet. Setting it up for the first time isn't intuitive, read the the instructions carefully. I filled the coffee waste container with water and poured the coffee beans in the wrong hole so they ended up all over the floor! Once she's made a couple of cups I think she'd find it easy though. Just watched this video though and it might put you off, it makes lots of scary noises and flashing lights, until she gets used to it she might think it's going to explode. The newer models might be less intimidating.

Edited by welshbairn

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Once it's set up it's very easy, press "on" and then a button with a cup sign. You have to keep the coffee and water topped up obviously, lasts about ten cups, and leave a jug under the spouts when you're not pouring coffee as it flushes the pipes clean when you switch it on, the cup sign flashes until its done, then you switch the jug for your mug and click the cup sign. I haven't tried the steamer yet. Setting it up for the first time isn't intuitive, read the the instructions carefully. I filled the coffee waste container with water and poured the coffee beans in the wrong hole so they ended up all over the floor! Once she's made a couple of cups I think she'd find it easy though. Just watched this video though and it might put you off, it makes lots of scary noises and until she gets used to it she might think it's going to explode.

I’ve had one of these machines for over 17 years. Some regular maintenance and changing the o rings is all I’ve had to do. There are some good videos on YouTube to guide you. I use it every day and it does not miss a beat. Thoroughly recommend the investment into it. You will never buy a high st coffee again.

Edited by Guest

3 hours ago, Todd_is_God said:

I've had a Tassimo of one sorts or another for over 10 years now and do like it, but having just seen that some of the pod packs changed from 16 to 14 pods, I'm thinking it's also time for a change. For lattes I don't use the latte packs, but just use normal coffee in a big cup, fill it with milk and zap it in the microwave. Much better than the bought lattes.

On 22/10/2021 at 21:39, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I like my wee Bialetti.

See the source image

You, sir, are a genius. 

I've been a pod user for a while but struggle to get espresso ones unless I order through Dolce Gusto. Like a few others have said, the cost per pod also starting to climb with the number in a box falling. There is also the recycling issue.

It's a weekend morning treat so can't really justify hundreds on a machine. Thanks to this post I've invested in one of these bad boys. Tried it this morning and it's a revelation. Proper tar like espresso that gives you the shakes after 2 sips. Just how I like it. 

On 29/10/2021 at 08:19, PWL said:

You, sir, are a genius. 

I've been a pod user for a while but struggle to get espresso ones unless I order through Dolce Gusto. Like a few others have said, the cost per pod also starting to climb with the number in a box falling. There is also the recycling issue.

It's a weekend morning treat so can't really justify hundreds on a machine. Thanks to this post I've invested in one of these bad boys. Tried it this morning and it's a revelation. Proper tar like espresso that gives you the shakes after 2 sips. Just how I like it. 

Thank you for the feedback, it needs a wee bit maintenance but the product is worth it.

One of my favourites is Morrisons ground Italian 4 strength

• 2 months later...

Anyone wanting a bean to cup machine without spending a fortune, this looks a bargain at £39.99. No frother but I don't bother with it anyway, just means something else to clean when you can heat the milk in the mug in the microwave beforehand. Good reviews.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/household-appliances/small-kitchen-appliances/coffee-machines-and-accessories/coffee-machines/logik-l6cmg221-bean-to-cup-coffee-machine-black-stainless-steel-10220901-pdt.html

On 27/10/2021 at 10:59, Soapy FFC said:

I've had a Tassimo of one sorts or another for over 10 years now and do like it, but having just seen that some of the pod packs changed from 16 to 14 pods, I'm thinking it's also time for a change. For lattes I don't use the latte packs, but just use normal coffee in a big cup, fill it with milk and zap it in the microwave. Much better than the bought lattes.

Just get a milk frother. Some Nescafé Azera and you’re good to go really. Makes decent cappuccinos also. Got one for my Christmas. I had a tassimo but yeah the pods were getting too expensive for what you were getting. 

7 minutes ago, Wardy said:

Just get a milk frother. Some Nescafé Azera and you’re good to go really. Makes decent cappuccinos also. Got one for my Christmas. I had a tassimo but yeah the pods were getting too expensive for what you were getting. 

Since I posted that, I ditched the Tassimo and got a De'Longhi Magnifica S Smart bean to cup machine. Far far better coffee, no plastic waste to worry about, and far cheaper per cup from what I can work out. 

On 27/10/2021 at 07:11, Todd_is_God said:

I ended buying this. More than happy with it so far.