St Johnstone - FM09 (C. Muir challenge)

RandomGuy.

Inspired entirely by @C. Muir playing FM09 on his thread...

... its tempted me back to game which, to be honest, I enjoyed more than many that followed.

The extra good bit for me? Its the last Football Manager to contain a lower league St Johnstone from the start.

Just beautiful.

Overview

A different world...

Untitled.png.3868462abca72ad1302892c15ce78e00.png

A Scottish Championship First Division of a different era. For the sake of nostalgia and nothing more, heres each teams most expensive player (based on in game value and ignoring loanees) at the time...

Airdrie - Paul Di Giacomo

Clyde - Neil McGregor/Gregory Tade

Dundee - Mickael Antonie-Curier

Dunfermline - Paul Gallagher

Livingston - Roddy McKenzie

Morton - Jim McAlister

Partick - Alan Archibald :lol:

QOS - Craig Reid (valued twice what Dobbie is?!)

Ross County - Richie Hart

St Johnstone - Jody Morris

Previous Season

Untitled.png.180ee7cf766ea23fc60be275bdefbf40.png

Dundee must be favourites for the title this season.

Of course no relegated sides from the top flight for the new season, due to Gretna dying.

In real life?

St Johnstone won the league by 10pts, Clyde finished bottom, and Airdrie, despite finishing 9th and losing the play-off, survived after Livingston were demoted to the third tier after an insolvency event.

Edited by RandomGuy.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Overview

A different world...

Untitled.png.3868462abca72ad1302892c15ce78e00.png

A Scottish Championship First Division of a different era. For the sake of nostalgia and nothing more, heres each teams most expensive player (based on in game value and ignoring loanees) at the time...

Airdrie - Paul Di Giacomo

Clyde - Neil McGregor/Gregory Tade

Dundee - Mickael Antonie-Curier

Dunfermline - Paul Gallagher

Livingston - Roddy McKenzie

Morton - Jim McAlister

Partick - Alan Archibald :lol:

QOS - Craig Reid (valued twice what Dobbie is?!)

Ross County - Richie Hart

St Johnstone - Jody Morris

Previous Season

Untitled.png.180ee7cf766ea23fc60be275bdefbf40.png

Dundee must be favourites for the title this season.

Of course no relegated sides from the top flight for the new season, due to Gretna dying.

In real life?

St Johnstone won the league by 10pts, Clyde finished bottom, and Airdrie, despite finishing 9th and losing the play-off, survived after Livingston were demoted to the third tier after an insolvency event.

Excellent reminder :lol: we really should've done better with our squad that year, but that doughnut in charge obviously had different ideas. 

I started a Clyde save which I haven't played a game on yet before I done the Man City one, my first job was knocking multiple bids back for McGregor 

St Johnstone squad 08/09

Goalkeepers

Untitled.png.fc1f8e5abc289a6ef5d62d95cb90efc7.png

Alan Main, tiny and old, but still number one. McLean looks alright for the First Division, but a new keeper a must for next season no matter what.

Defenders

Untitled.png.5621d72280c493dede69aec2dd707796.png

A strong group of central defenders. Anderson not yet the player he became, so likely 3rd/4th choice. McCaffrey and Gartland both physical and intelligent. James a big lump with Rutkiewicz is solid, but lacks the physical attributes of the others.

Only one right back, Irvine, who is quality and could step up.

Only one left back, Morgan, who is not. In the real world, Liam Craig was a makeshift left back all season.

Midfielders

Untitled.png.48d3d3328829fd851bbdac46ce3cb0ae.png

Collin Samuel is a striker, who can play both wings. Ideally he'd be listed with the strikers but I'm fucked if I know how to set up a squad view that gets him there, so here he is.

Morris and Craig are top flight quality, easy. Millar will be too as he'll get game time because I love the man.

Hardie has no pace left, but huge technical attributes, Moon pretty much the exact opposite. Both will be back up.

Swankie has huge technical attributes, but nothing mentally, which is pretty realistic. Will start on the right wing but Millar/Samuel might replace him.

Paul Sheerin will be left winger until he retires, even if hes 50 by then.

Strikers

Untitled.png.9f8341631e8e448ea81571a2470054f5.png

+ Collin Samuel.

Doris the weakest, the rest all capable of getting goals. Jackson probably the best (this was just off the back of his 15 goal season), MacDonald probably the weakest.

Pre-Season will decide which two start.

Tactics

Have to go 4-4-2 with this squad, no choice.

Main

Irvine - McCaffrey - Gartland - Morgan

Swankie - Morris - Craig - Sheerin

Milne - Jackson

My base starting point. Transfer window is open and active so may go for a left back. I'll search Scotland squads from 2012-14 for inspiration...

7 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Excellent reminder :lol: we really should've done better with our squad that year, but that doughnut in charge obviously had different ideas. 

I started a Clyde save which I haven't played a game on yet before I done the Man City one, my first job was knocking multiple bids back for McGregor 

Looking through the squad, its a surprisingly strong side (in retrospect obviously).

Stuart Kettlewell, Alan Trouten, Pat Clarke and Gregory Tade all players who sound like decent First Division players.

Looking through most squads though, they all look strong as f**k. That Saints squad is absolutely stacked in quality in the central areas of the pitch to me. Livingston have Leigh Griffiths ffs :lol:

20 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

I'd be absolutely terrible at this as I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I'd be playing Rab Douglas in the goal till the day he retired etc.

Was going to tag you tbh. Noticed Dundee have Rab Douglas and Barry Smith :lol:

Must be about the last season having both them?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Was going to tag you tbh. Noticed Dundee have Rab Douglas and Barry Smith :lol:

Must be about the last season having both them?

That's an anomaly. Barry Smith signed on to be our youth coach and then signed for Brechin on loan. He played once in a pre-season friendly. So the last they both played first team football for us would've been 2001! Dreamy.

Jocky as manager though?! (As I imagine Rae must be sacked as it'll be a Jan update hence Smith being at the club?)

will ferrell yes GIF

15 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

That's an anomaly. Barry Smith signed on to be our youth coach and then signed for Brechin on loan. He played once in a pre-season friendly. So the last they both played first team football for us would've been 2001! Dreamy.

Jocky as manager though?! (As I imagine Rae must be sacked as it'll be a Jan update hence Smith being at the club?)

will ferrell yes GIF

Away out so will double check managers.

Struggling like f**k to find a left back (which mirrors St Johnstone reality nicely). Andy Robertson not in the game yet 😂

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Away out so will double check managers.

Struggling like f**k to find a left back (which mirrors St Johnstone reality nicely). Andy Robertson not in the game yet 😂

Bob Harris not a quality player in that version?

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

Bob Harris not a quality player in that version?

Sadly not, listed as a natural CB so must be a year early for him in game.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Sadly not, listed as a natural CB so must be a year early for him in game.

I know you're aiming high, but trying to think of a few half decent first divison LB's in that version:

Eddie Malone (Unlikely to be top flight quality)
Matt Lockwood? - He'll be down South, be interested in seeing how he was rated.
Scott Morrison?

There was a save where Paddy Boyle was very good at LB. Jason Talbot was another that used to be decently rated.

Just now, Speroni*1 said:

I know you're aiming high, but trying to think of a few half decent first divison LB's in that version:

Scott Morrison?

There was a save where Paddy Boyle was very good at LB. Jason Talbot was another that used to be decently rated.

I'm aiming to copy real life and get Danny Grainger upon promotion 😂 just need someone to see me through a promotion push.

Morgan looks poor and is only on loan until January 

37 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Scott Morrison?

Jockey is your manager, fwiw. Also got Andrew Shinnie on loan this season.

Lockwood looks great but earns £1.5k/pw, well beyond me 😂

You're going to love this. Fm 09 is so good. In my games Saints normally drift between first and second divisions so hope you can do better than that!

I've started playing one of my old Forfar games again and in 2019 Andy Jackson inspired Saintees have just won the First Division to return to the SPL. I reckon you can win the SPL by 2019 in this

Pre-Season

Untitled.png.81436998c98bf0d879afe3980a49ac79.png

Decent. Strongest team first and last, fringe in the second.

Swankie may have played himself into starting on the left wing, looked more dangerous than Sheerin.

Jackson and Milne definitely first choice now up front.

11 minutes ago, LoonsYouthTeam said:

You're going to love this. Fm 09 is so good. In my games Saints normally drift between first and second divisions so hope you can do better than that!

I've started playing one of my old Forfar games again and in 2019 Andy Jackson inspired Saintees have just won the First Division to return to the SPL. I reckon you can win the SPL by 2019 in this

Andy Jackson looks superb at the start...

Untitled.thumb.png.fb7b75f89be0abf84211c48c3581684c.png

Well justified too, tbh, as the season before this he was incredible. Genuinely one of the most exciting young strikers I've seen play for us over a season. Complete travesty that injuries and illness stole his potential.

Didn't St Johnstone have Paul Hanlon on loan that season and use him at left back? Or was that only in the first half of the season before the January update? I used to play fifa on xbox live occasionaly with a St Johnstone fan back then and he was pished one night singing his name on the mic 😂

Edited by C. Muir

1 minute ago, C. Muir said:

Didn't St Johnstone have Paul Hanlon on loan that season and use him at left back? Or was that only in the first half of the season before the January update? I used to play fifa on xbox live occasionaly with a St Johnstone fan back then and he was pished one night singing his name on the mic 😂

I'm sure he was only at the club for about a month or so, between windows.

July 2008

Untitled.png.d8edf185ff5131a0bd6a7b328b924adc.png

Just the one game this month, an embarrassing Challenge Cup defeat to Second Division Brechin City.

Defenders don't deal with a cross into the box and Darren Smith prods one home. Steven Milne then got injured, and Jackson/MacDonald spent the whole game passing up opportunities.

Disappointing to lose, and be out a cup, but lessons learned.