Religion in lockdown

33 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When I was 8 I got into a playground fight with my mate Sayeed about who was better Mohammed or Jesus

We got hauled in front of the headmistress for fighting and when we had to explain what the fight was about I felt really stupid. Which is basically when religion and I parted company

For the record I was clearly winning when the fight was stopped so Jesus is better

And they say sectarianism is only an issue in the west of Scotland.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When I was 8 I got into a playground fight with my mate Sayeed about who was better Mohammed or Jesus

We got hauled in front of the headmistress for fighting and when we had to explain what the fight was about I felt really stupid. Which is basically when religion and I parted company

For the record I was clearly winning when the fight was stopped so Jesus is better

Sums religion up pretty well imo.

Walked by a local church on Sunday. It's a RC one and folk were on the pavement and road, kneeling down close to each other.

I just couldn't stop thinking that the dog regularly takes a dump* or a piss there.

In fact next time I walked by there was a massive dog turd in the loading bay where some folk had been praying the day before.

*I bag and bin his shite by the way...

Think the basic premise of most religions; be true to yourself and be a good neighbour, makes sense for most people, whether they believe in a God or not. Our world would certainly be a much better place if we could just manage that simple principle most of the time.
The rest is just a load of man-made up nonsense. Have always been suspicious of those who are overly pious.

18 minutes ago, Clockwork said:

Think the basic premise of most religions; be true to yourself and be a good neighbour, makes sense for most people, whether they believe in a God or not. Our world would certainly be a much better place if we could just manage that simple principle most of the time.
The rest is just a load of man-made up nonsense. Have always been suspicious of those who are overly pious.

There’s a lot of biblical ‘teachings’ that I wholeheartedly endorse.

”Do unto others as you would have them do unto you” being one.

It’s a pity that many/most who call themselves Christians do not follow this philosophy.

2 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

And they say sectarianism is only an issue in the west of Scotland.

there's obviously good sectarianism and bad sectarianism. 😉

ETA - on reflection, is hatred/fighting between supporters of Jesus and supporters of Mohammed even classed as sectarianism?

Edited by dee_62
clarity

15 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

ETA - on reflection, is hatred/fighting between supporters of Jesus and supporters of Mohammed even classed as sectarianism?

No it’s classed as stupidity.

19 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Well it was in Yugoslavia, but I'm not sure if it is in Gorgie.

• 3 years later...
15 minutes ago, abievoller7 said:

Mention I was an atheist my entire life, but during the lockdown, I prayed for the first time. I was in NYC, and I was witnessing all this madness with ambulances taking people to hospitals or, even worse, some dead bodies. It was really scary.

What was the outcome? 

During lockdown my grandparents like a lot of people watched mass online whether that be via Facebook or YouTube.Even now my gran still chooses to join online mass on a Sunday if she doesn’t feel like it. I think it’s modernising religion but in a good way because having mass Available electronically allows herself and many others to tune in from the comfort of their own home.

12 minutes ago, Lucyintheskywithdiamonds said:

During lockdown my grandparents like a lot of people watched mass online whether that be via Facebook or YouTube.Even now my gran still chooses to join online mass on a Sunday if she doesn’t feel like it. I think it’s modernising religion but in a good way because having mass Available electronically allows herself and many others to tune in from the comfort of their own home.

That's a good point. Think most churches who began this facility in COVID times have continued with it. Makes sense for older members, people who may have moved away or just anyone who wants to see what it's all about.

4 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I remember when churches were open for mass singing whilst schools and pubs were shut. 

Professor-Jason-Leitch-1.jpg

There was no singing during that period. The Mass was spoken and no hymns.