Religion in lockdown

The special treatment churches got during the pandemic left a bad taste, we went from don't leave you're house no gatherings to its alright as long as you're praying to the sky faires and the rest of you aren't allowed to leave the house.

On 22/04/2020 at 10:13, topcat(The most tip top) said:

When I was 8 I got into a playground fight with my mate Sayeed about who was better Mohammed or Jesus

We got hauled in front of the headmistress for fighting and when we had to explain what the fight was about I felt really stupid. Which is basically when religion and I parted company

For the record I was clearly winning when the fight was stopped so Jesus is better

Arsenal have certainly had a better season but Salah has had the better individual form this season

6 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Fun false fact for the kids of the future:

The reason there are a large number of pubs in church buildings was so that landlords could remain open during lockdowns.

What kind of church is filled with rambunctious yahoo's and hot jazz music at 1am?

11 minutes ago, Empty It said:

The special treatment churches got during the pandemic left a bad taste, we went from don't leave you're house no gatherings to its alright as long as you're praying to the sky faires and the rest of you aren't allowed to leave the house.

The churches were closed during the initial period of Lockdown, then were re-opened along with some other public buildings with strict social distancing conditions. I remember swimming pools were re-opened as part of that phase. 

1 hour ago, abievoller7 said:

Mention I was an atheist my entire life, but during the lockdown, I prayed for the first time. I was in NYC, and I was witnessing all this madness with ambulances taking people to hospitals or, even worse, some dead bodies. It was really scary.

1 hour ago, coletsiona said:

It's interesting to hear how people's perspectives on religion can change during times like the pandemic. Personally, I think everyone's experience is different. Some may find solace and a greater sense of spirituality, while others might question their beliefs even more. As for me, I've been browsing online and stumbled upon this website https://firstchurchlove.com which discusses churches and religion. You might find it worth checking out if you're interested. By the way, I'm new here on the forum, just joining the conversations. Let's keep it casual and friendly, and feel free to share your thoughts!

I find it amazing that you both posted on the same threads, at the same time one month apart.

Many posts above aren't correct. Quick search confirms places of worship were shut until Jul 2020 - pubs & cinemas actually reopened slightly earlier - and again Jan to Apr 2021 (when Scottish Government lost judicial review). Singing wasn't allowed nationwide until Jul 2021. Masks stopped Apr 2022 after FM hypocritically went without at Westminster Abbey.

8 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Many posts above aren't correct. Quick search confirms places of worship were shut until Jul 2020 - pubs & cinemas actually reopened slightly earlier - and again Jan to Apr 2021 (when Scottish Government lost judicial review). Singing wasn't allowed nationwide until Jul 2021. Masks stopped Apr 2022 after FM hypocritically went without at Westminster Abbey.

Far too much fact to fit with the narrative there.

48 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

About 95% of the whole forum isn't correct. You'd be obsolete if people started getting things right.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

I find it amazing that you both posted on the same threads, at the same time one month apart.

Clearly proof of a higher power at play.

I'm also intrigued as to why one of the two of them always takes the time to link to one or other enterprise they happen to have chanced across that's tangentially relevant to the topic at hand, whether it's a cybersecurity company, a real estate agent, or, in this case, some random pentecostal church halfway across the planet from all of us, with their 'Give' button prominent on the menubar. God is working in very mysterious ways with this pair.

1 hour ago, bob_mcshug said:

What kind of church is filled with rambunctious yahoo's and hot jazz music at 1am?

Best bets are the Church of Satan or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The Pastafarians are the better shout, as they have better hats.

11 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Best bets are the Church of Satan or the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. The Pastafarians are the better shout, as they have better hats.

Food's better too.

The most amusing part for me is that the people who shout the loudest about their faith are always the ones ignoring the basic tenets of their faith.

10 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Food's better too.

The most amusing part for me is that the people who shout the loudest about their faith are always the ones ignoring the basic tenets of their faith.

A little knowledge of the basic tenants of various faiths can be a quite amusing tool…when you can quote elements of their faith back to them, most proselytizing evangelicals turn tail and run. Warning, does NOT work with most Mormons, some Jehovahs Witnesses and the odd Catholic. A remarkable amount of the behaviors of those who most loudly proclaim their faith are in contradiction to the basic tenants of their “faith”. Spare time at work, and a copy of Huston Smith’s “The Worlds Religions”, has provided endless amusement.

4 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I reckon places of worship should still be closed until Covid is completely eradicated. Just to be safe. 

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

A little knowledge of the basic tenants of various faiths can be a quite amusing tool…when you can quote elements of their faith back to them, most proselytizing evangelicals turn tail and run. Warning, does NOT work with most Mormons, some Jehovahs Witnesses and the odd Catholic. A remarkable amount of the behaviors of those who most loudly proclaim their faith are in contradiction to the basic tenants of their “faith”. Spare time at work, and a copy of Huston Smith’s “The Worlds Religions”, has provided endless amusement.

Are they taking in lodgers?