Best teacher meltdowns

18 hours ago, beefybake said:

The only school I ever went to where I saw almost no belting was Rephad Primary, in Stranraer.  I did Primary 6 and 7 there. My teacher

was a guy called John Maclean.  He'd played for Stranraer a few years before.  In 2 years, I saw him use the belt just once, under extreme provocation. 

John “Jock” Maclean was the Headie when I got to Rephad in the mid 70’s (71 to78) a proper gent and not one to go melt down , ran the football, team , would occasionally add himself to the “weaker” team as a n other , but it wasn’t really a Brian glover kind of thing , 

Simpler times 

On 15/07/2020 at 20:46, Sergeant Wilson said:

Not as old as you but extreme violence against infants was still acceptable in the late 60s. I remember Nan (Buggy) Wilson playing up a bit. Miss Laughlan swivelled and hurled a metal pencil box at poor Nan. Caught her on the eye brow and split her like a kipper, blood everywhere. Miss L also have another the C&A treatment (collar and arse), a coup!e of 360 degree spins and let go crashing through various unmanned desks and chairs. There were many slaps and shaking went on before she was eventually manhandled out the class one day. 

I know it was a bit more acceptable back in the day but I can't imagine myself (if I was the wee lassies parent) not goin down to the school and kicking the teacher across the playground

5 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

I know it was a bit more acceptable back in the day but I can't imagine myself (if I was the wee lassies parent) not goin down to the school and kicking the teacher across the playground

Nan used to get sent to school in wellies in winter, but the leg part cut off in the summer and a Salvation Army uniform. Her brother helped the jannies at secondary school and wore the costumes from the school show, which was usually  Gilbert and Sullivan. He knocked about as a Victorian policeman and sailor among others.

2 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Nan used to get sent to school in wellies in winter, but the leg part cut off in the summer and a Salvation Army uniform. Her brother helped the jannies at secondary school and wore the costumes from the school show, which was usually  Gilbert and Sullivan. He knocked about as a Victorian policeman and sailor among others.

Having to buy a new pair of wellies every winter would cost the same as just buying a basic pair of school shoes each year. Probably cost more actually as at least there’s a chance of a pair of school shoes lasting more than the year.

Just now, Honest_Man#1 said:

Having to buy a new pair of wellies every winter would cost the same as just buying a basic pair of school shoes each year. Probably cost more actually as at least there’s a chance of a pair of school shoes lasting more than the year.

I was told they chopped up the banister and bits of stairs for firewood as well. They obviously weren't dealing from a full deck planning wise. I did personally see them with coal in a pram, that must've been in a time of plenty...or they'd stolen the coal.

It's hard to believe they seemed to be left to function under their own devices for years. There were a few other families nearly as bad. 

I'm wondering now if the wellies thing might've been a kid's solution to the problem. I doubt the parents were capable of logical thought.

1 hour ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I was told they chopped up the banister and bits of stairs for firewood as well. They obviously weren't dealing from a full deck planning wise. I did personally see them with coal in a pram, that must've been in a time of plenty...or they'd stolen the coal.

It's hard to believe they seemed to be left to function under their own devices for years. There were a few other families nearly as bad. 

I'm wondering now if the wellies thing might've been a kid's solution to the problem. I doubt the parents were capable of logical thought.

That's sort of heart breaking.

On 15/07/2020 at 17:58, beefybake said:

That was Stranraer High School in the late '60's.

A bit off topic I suppose, but out of interest, where was Stranraer High School?  Stranraer Academy was presumably on Academy Street, and was a grammar school?

When did the only secondary school become the Academy, located on London Road?

14 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's sort of heart breaking.

Of course it is. It's no less bizarre because of the way they presented though.

My sister in law was a primary teacher more recently. It's probably more worrying that kids in her class were well enough turned out but couldn't hold a pencil or cutlery properly and have really poor language skills.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A bit off topic I suppose, but out of interest, where was Stranraer High School?  Stranraer Academy was presumably on Academy Street, and was a grammar school?

When did the only secondary school become the Academy, located on London Road?

At the time I lived in Stranraer, the Academy was indeed in Academy St.  It was a secondary modern school.
The High School was on the site of what is now the Ryan Centre on Lewis St.
Next door to the High School, was a building, the Academy Annexe.  The Academy had outgrown their building, which is why
there was an annexe. This appears to still exist, and seems to be a church.

In 1964/65 new schools were built, out on the London Road.  And all pupils transferred to there. As originally built, there were three separate blocks.
The large block nearest McMasters Rd. was Stranraer HIgh School.  A smaller block, just west,  was the PE/Gym/Swimming Pool.
And west of that was another large block, Stranraer Academy.  The two schools were entirely separate entities, under the system of the time.
Each had their own teaching staff, and headmasters. The Gym/Pool facilities were shared. The High School approximated to what was
known in England as a grammar. And the Academy still as a secondary modern.

I left Stranraer in 1969. Around 1971, I think, the schooling system changed to comprehensive. And it all became Stranraer Academy.

Edited by beefybake

2 hours ago, beefybake said:

At the time I lived in Stranraer, the Academy was indeed in Academy St.  It was a secondary modern school.
The High School was on the site of what is now the Ryan Centre on Lewis St.
Next door to the High School, was a building, the Academy Annexe.  The Academy had outgrown their building, which is why
there was an annexe. This appears to still exist, and seems to be a church.

In 1964/65 new schools were built, out on the London Road.  And all pupils transferred to there. As originally built, there were three separate blocks.
The large block nearest McMasters Rd. was Stranraer HIgh School.  A smaller block, just west,  was the PE/Gym/Swimming Pool.
And west of that was another large block, Stranraer Academy.  The two schools were entirely separate entities, under the system of the time.
Each had their own teaching staff, and headmasters. The Gym/Pool facilities were shared. The High School approximated to what was
known in England as a grammar. And the Academy still as a secondary modern.

I left Stranraer in 1969. Around 1971, I think, the schooling system changed to comprehensive. And it all became Stranraer Academy.

Thanks - that's interesting.

I hadn't realised that what I knew as A, B and C blocks at the Academy were at one point, constituent parts of two separate schools.

Edited by Monkey Tennis