Yer da getting battered

37 minutes ago, 101 said:

I have never seen a pub fight - to be honest I have never seen a proper fight its all Falkirk High pavement dancing these days no-one has the bottle to go steaming in.

Bring back National Service

In 2004 Glasgow was the most violent city on earth and you couldn’t go for a night out without witnessing numerous fights. I eventually came desensitised to it all but it was certainly intimidating to begin with.

Back then, several pubs in Falkirk were three deep at the bar and standing room  only every Friday and Saturday, with the Thursday also being very busy in a few of them but less so. 
Now you are lucky if the stars align to make 1 pub in the town busy on any given Saturday. It's a shame. Times change though. It will never go back to that. 

The decline was pretty fuckin rapid too, only took a 2 -3 years to get from A-B. Sportsters has a huge capacity that sucks a finite number of punters out of other pubs leaving them sparse, the recession kicked in at the same time as them opening. I would have said thirdly that the boom in university attendance would have left a hole in the number of bevying youngsters in your provincial scottish towns but others have said university towns haven’t been immune l either so feck knows

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

In 2004 Glasgow was the most violent city on earth and you couldn’t go for a night out without witnessing numerous fights. I eventually came desensitised to it all but it was certainly intimidating to begin with.

That's enough Walter Mitty type chat from you.

37 minutes ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

i often find that the crowds for  "rave" nights with DJs  are generally older.  It's often the same people who were going to these events as youngsters in the late 80s and 90s.

I agree. I go out drinking in Dundee  most weeks and I haven't seen a fight for years. The last one i can remember was in Private Eyes around 6 or 7 years ago. Interestingly Eugene Thundercunt was working behind the bar and he was able to split it up easily enough. When I moved to Dundee in the mid 90s there was a lot more trouble. A mate of mine is a taxi driver and he reckons Dundee became a lot safer after dark around 10 or 11 years ago when legal highs were popular. He said that sort of c***s who would previously give him grief became a lot friendlier and more generous tippers when they had a load of plant food up their noses.

Obviously wasn't a real fight IMO.

Last bar fight I can remember was me watching a table glide gracefully through the air at some pub that's no longer there in Newington after a derby day sometime around 2004-5 so I have to grant throbber a point I suppose.
The police said nobody could leave till they had checked everyone but we just fucked off anyway, some splatter of blood on the pavement outside.

I lived in Newington in 2005, could’ve been me.

9 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Last bar fight I can remember was me watching a table glide gracefully through the air at some pub that's no longer there in Newington after a derby day sometime around 2004-5 so I have to grant throbber a point I suppose.

The police said nobody could leave till they had checked everyone but we just fucked off anyway, some splatter of blood on the pavement outside.

Yeah that sort of stuff was the norm in Glasgow around that time but I noticed Edinburgh being much more peaceful in the couple of times I went through there for a night out there.

I remember it being in the paper once that a guy had been battered to death in a pub in Glasgow in broad daylight and his corpse was on the pub floor and people were walking over the top of him to get to the bar. An absolute bear pit of a city. 

With my old boss at a party in the top floor of a new, tall landmark building in London, prior to its (in)famous official occupants moving in. Someone from another group grabbed the backside of a girl in our group and before anyone else reacted my boss nutted the guy who did it and a general punch up ensued. We were pretty out of it and the lifts didn’t seem to go gown any more than about 15 floors at a time. It was so complicated trying to escape in these annoying lifts and pitch black offices whilst being pursued by angry security etc. 

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

With my old boss at a party in the top floor of a new, tall landmark building in London, prior to its (in)famous official occupants moving in. Someone from another group grabbed the backside of a girl in our group and before anyone else reacted my boss nutted the guy who did it and a general punch up ensued. We were pretty out of it and the lifts didn’t seem to go gown any more than about 15 floors at a time. It was so complicated trying to escape in these annoying lifts and pitch black offices whilst being pursued by angry security etc. 

Get it written. It couldn't be any worse than the last couple of Die Hard films.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Lol iv seen some absolute fucking riots in pubs. Was never much of a participant right enough. Always tried to stay out of it. Falkirk could be pretty hairy when I was 18-21ish. Oddly enough though, the worst ones were always when some older folk were involved. 

You must have had to be careful not to be stood on.

52 minutes ago, throbber said:

I'm not sure how much older @NJ2 is but I doubt Aberdour was ever much of a rammy. Sounds like I missed all the fighting.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Die Hard meets Minder but with added coked up twats. 

There's at least two things in that sentence you'll have to explain to Bruce Willis before you get him on board.

35 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Around that time, possibly 2003, I went to the Edinburgh fringe festival on a Sunday. It was the same day as a hearts/hibs derby. I saw some really shite comedian in a venue on Rose Street. There was a dozen or so guys having a rammy outside  as I left the venue. Chairs and bottles flying around but only one punch actually thrown.

It was more entertaining than most fringe events tbh. 

27 minutes ago, throbber said:

I remember it being in the paper once that a guy had been battered to death in a pub in Glasgow in broad daylight and his corpse was on the pub floor and people were walking over the top of him to get to the bar. An absolute bear pit of a city. 

Your own brand of usual fantasist bullshit is better than this tbh

21 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

This sounds like the Natwest Tower

1 minute ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Your own brand of usual fantasist bullshit is better than this tbh

This sounds like the Natwest Tower

It was One Canada Square (the first big tower at Canary Wharf). Party was hosted by the London Knights ice hockey team. It had been going well..

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

I agree with Throbsy.  Circa 2002-2010 was fucking brilliant being a teenager/20 something in pubs and clubs.

As someone who is 35 this year, I still enjoy being a steaming fucking mess 99% of the times I go out. 

Yep, I'm same age as you and it was magic. Always ludicrously cheap drink deals, pubs and clubs busy all the time. 

4 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Back then, several pubs in Falkirk were three deep at the bar and standing room  only every Friday and Saturday, with the Thursday also being very busy in a few of them but less so. 

Now you are lucky if the stars align to make 1 pub in the town busy on any given Saturday. It's a shame. Times change though. It will never go back to that. 

Yeah, I used to enjoy going out in Falkirk back then, Behind the Wall used to always be busy early and there were always plenty of decent options for nonsense after either there or getting the train back to Stirling/Edinburgh.

It is shite now but at least it is much safer, given "The Watcher" is no more.

Not that I go out in town much these days but I haven’t seen a proper rammy in any pub I’ve been in within the last 20/30 years (maybe I’m not going to the right pubs).

When I started going out drinking in the late 70s, there was a scrap breaking out in every 2nd pub you went to. Hardly any pubs had bouncers then and the pubs basically policed themselves. You had to learn very quickly to read the signs of an impending kick off and act accordingly. Police didn’t normally give a flying f**k and only ever appeared to pick up stragglers left behind in the aftermath.

Changed days, and for the better I might add

2 hours ago, 101 said:

I have never seen a pub fight - to be honest I have never seen a proper fight its all Falkirk High pavement dancing these days no-one has the bottle to go steaming in.

Bring back National Service

I blame pubs using plastic beer containers.

Many years ago I saw somebody being thrown through the door of The Orchard (well before it being done up!). Guaranteed to see fights somewhere on Grahams Road.