Yer da getting battered

4 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Back then, several pubs in Falkirk were three deep at the bar and standing room  only every Friday and Saturday, with the Thursday also being very busy in a few of them but less so. 

Now you are lucky if the stars align to make 1 pub in the town busy on any given Saturday. It's a shame. Times change though. It will never go back to that. 

Indeed, plus a lot of 18-25 year olds have 1-2 kids now.  Wasn't the case a decade or so ago.

15 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Indeed, plus a lot of 18-25 year olds have 1-2 kids now.  Wasn't the case a decade or so ago.

I think the opposite is proabbly the case - the age that people have children has gone up in the last twenty years.

Dundee was same 2000-2010 pubs were rammed Fri-Sun. Wednesdays were student nights so they were mobbed too. You would have to queue to get in Mardi and Fatties every night of the week.

I don't miss it though . Looking back it was fucking grim. The only thing to drink was 100 different identical lagers, fun pubs, z list celebs in nightclubs listening to pop music. Fucking shite.

25 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

By the time most are in their mid 40s and 50s, they’ll have had their kids brought up and out the house, do you expect them not to go out and enjoy themselves ?

I think the idea was that, by the time they'd reached that stage of life, the kids were hoping they'd have found better ways to enjoy themselves than getting wasted in bars, trying to cop off with teenagers, and getting their lights punched out by Granny Danger.

44 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I agree with Throbsy.  Circa 2002-2010 was fucking brilliant being a teenager/20 something in pubs and clubs.

As someone who is 35 this year, I still enjoy being a steaming fucking mess 99% of the times I go out. 

It was a great time to be growing up. Not sure how I would have coped as an 18 year old in 2014 and entering adulthood in this modern social media obsessed world. I would no doubt have turned to drugs as well tbh and would have been caught on camera teabagging a dead squirrel after a night out.

2 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Dundee was same 2000-2010 pubs were rammed Fri-Sun. Wednesdays were student nights so they were mobbed too. You would have to queue to get in Mardi and Fatties every night of the week.

I don't miss it though . Looking back it was fucking grim. The only thing to drink was 100 different identical lagers, fun pubs, z list celebs in nightclubs listening to pop music. Fucking shite.

It was of it's time, and more importantly, your age at the time. Tastes change as you get older and I am more comfortable in a traditional drinking den type pub now. Can still get drawn in if a place has decent music and atmosphere though even if it is pop music. 

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

It was of it's time, and more importantly, your age at the time. Tastes change as you get older and I am more comfortable in a traditional drinking den type pub now. Can still get drawn in if a place has decent music and atmosphere though even if it is pop music. 

I am more comfortable going out during the day, I really am not a late night person at all and with hindsight it’s probably the reason I took drugs on nights out because if I didn’t I would want to go to bed.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

I am more comfortable going out during the day, I really am not a late night person at all and with hindsight it’s probably the reason I took drugs on nights out because if I didn’t I would want to go to bed.

Same. Increasingly so as I get older but always was the keenest out all my pals to get on it early. I love the atmosphere of day time drinking. 

Invariably less arseholes about. Sunday  with loads of football on and drinking the roughness away a particular favourite. You also tended to get in tow with different folk. A bit of camaraderie about it. 

Edited by Bairnardo

Not ju st the drink. You see these types on a night out and a least a few of them are on the 'cooncil' or 'prop'which increases their level of arseholeness into the level where they're more likely to run up folk the wrong way.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Back then, several pubs in Falkirk were three deep at the bar and standing room  only every Friday and Saturday, with the Thursday also being very busy in a few of them but less so. 

Now you are lucky if the stars align to make 1 pub in the town busy on any given Saturday. It's a shame. Times change though. It will never go back to that. 

Sportsters opening/Rosies shutting is probably the worst thing to happen in terms of going out in Falkirk.

When I was 17-21 Perth was jam packed every Thursday, Friday and Saturday night. I now only go out once a month and it feels to me the busier pubs now are the smaller venues, and seem to be people of a similar age to me.

18 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Sportsters opening/Rosies shutting is probably the worst thing to happen in terms of going out in Falkirk.

Sportsters aye. Shite pub. City was a better club than Rosie's tho, I went to rosie's loads but it was fucking brutal really. God awful layout. Would have took Rosies for City with no Sportsters. 

Wee Rosie's anecdote that tickles me and my mate.... Once the bouncers in Rosies emptied my mate who had one pill too many, then immediately came to me demanding to know "what the f**k has he taken??"

They then emptied me too when I replied "hes taken no well"

I have never seen a pub fight - to be honest I have never seen a proper fight its all Falkirk High pavement dancing these days no-one has the bottle to go steaming in.

Bring back National Service

9 minutes ago, 101 said:

I have never seen a pub fight - to be honest I have never seen a proper fight its all Falkirk High pavement dancing these days no-one has the bottle to go steaming in.

We can’t afford National Service, we’ve spent all the defence budget on Trident.

Just give everyone the launch codes. That will sort the men from the boys.*

* the use of gender specific language in this post is deliberate and recognises that genders other than male probably have more sense.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It's surprised me how many folk in their 30s/40s/50s I've seen hanging around outside clubs in recent years. I don't remember seeing that many older folk twenty years ago. It would have been seen as a bit tragic by the hip young things back then.

The Horrific Club Photos thread too. OYF. Plenty of folk on there who are old enough for their grandweans to know better.

i often find that the crowds for  "rave" nights with DJs  are generally older.  It's often the same people who were going to these events as youngsters in the late 80s and 90s.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

Telling a mate the other day that I havent seen a fight in a pub for years. They were all the rage in the early 00s 

I agree. I go out drinking in Dundee  most weeks and I haven't seen a fight for years. The last one i can remember was in Private Eyes around 6 or 7 years ago. Interestingly Eugene Thundercunt was working behind the bar and he was able to split it up easily enough. When I moved to Dundee in the mid 90s there was a lot more trouble. A mate of mine is a taxi driver and he reckons Dundee became a lot safer after dark around 10 or 11 years ago when legal highs were popular. He said that sort of c***s who would previously give him grief became a lot friendlier and more generous tippers when they had a load of plant food up their noses.

16 minutes ago, 101 said:

Lol iv seen some absolute fucking riots in pubs. Was never much of a participant right enough. Always tried to stay out of it. Falkirk could be pretty hairy when I was 18-21ish. Oddly enough though, the worst ones were always when some older folk were involved.