Yer da getting battered

Over 50s are increasingly likely to be assaulted, with many of the assaults linked to alcohol, research has shown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52360728

Despite overall levels of violence related attendance at A&E falling, including falls for younger age groups, the number of over 50s attending due to violent assaults went up 8%.  Some have suggested this is down to rising drinking among this age group, with other view suggesting it was binge drinkers who are getting older and this is causing the rise in the older groups.

Have any older P&Bers been assaulted while drunk?

Have any P&Bers noted a rise in 'yer da' related violence on the streets?

What solutions do P&Bers propose for this trend?

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I had a wee drunk angry guy who was at least late 50s (an offshore oil worker) start on me in a pub toilet.

He was nursing a semi at the same time. 

Are these two things related?

1 minute ago, SweeperDee said:

Are these two things related?

I really didn't want a part of whatever action was on offer! 

My old man would still get blitzed in his 50s. Him and a pal turned up one night battered and bruised after going for a quiet drink to the golf club. They decided to go horse riding on the way home. I don't think either had ridden a horse before, especially not when paralytic in the dark. 

I know it's illogical but I think there's something kind of sad about seeing someone in their 50s drunk.  As has been noted on here before I am a bit of a puritanical old misery though.

It probably is nothing more than binge drinkers getting older. All your 90s New Lad types will now be in their 50s...thankfully most folk realise that as they get older their tolerance goes down a bit and they'll get drunk easier than they did in their 20s and 30s...I know my average weekend in the 90s would see me out of commish for a good part of the following week if I recreated it in 2020.

There will be a minority though that will have just carried on regardless - mostly those fat baldy English soccer hooligan types with the three rolls of fat up the back of their heids I'd imagine - and they'll be the ones that are showing up in stats, no doubt getting sufficiently hammered that they believe they can still put themselves about and getting their arses roundly handed to them on the occasions they care to test out the hypothesis.

1 minute ago, ICTChris said:

I know it's illogical but I think there's something kind of sad about seeing someone in their 50s drunk.  As has been noted on here before I am a bit of a puritanical old misery though.

Not sure it’s a Puritan thing.  I like a glass of wine or three but I don’t like drinking to excess.  I never bought in to the Scottish/lad/macho thing when I was younger and the older I get the more abhorrent the thought of being drunk is to me.

5 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Not sure it’s a Puritan thing.  I like a glass of wine or three but I don’t like drinking to excess.  I never bought in to the Scottish/lad/macho thing when I was younger and the older I get the more abhorrent the thought of being drunk is to me.

tenor.gif?itemid=9957942

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

It's just this. The generation after them took one look at the state their parents got into and dialled back the drinking while this lot still think it's 1995.

I do think that younger generations have more varied interests and social pursuits than previous ones.  When I was a student basically all anyone did was go out drinking but now students seem a lot more likely to go the gym or for coffee or meals.  We never did anything like that.

Your toleration of dickheads change as you get older, add alcohol and hey presto. I haven’t been drunk for two years and can’t see me getting drunk anytime soon. When your two sons have to pick you up off the street, it’s time to take stock of your life 

18 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

This stuff always cycles back round. When this lot have kids, these kids will getting drunk and taking drugs again, they'll view their parents eating avocados and going on round the world air trips to have instagram photos as insufferably vain and irresponsible as far as climate change goes. As someone who goes to the gym mostly to prolong the healthy bit of my life over having a six pack I often get the impression the guys who are in there aged 21 and doing it to maximise their shagging don't think they'll get old & don't get that this is all temporary.

When we were 21 did we think about getting old? Did we know it was temporary?

39 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I didn't either, but once I started drinking I couldn't stop. Fortunately I threw in the towel at 23 and haven't had a drink of alcohol since.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

The generation after them took one look at the state their parents got into and dialled back the drinking while this lot still think it's 1995.

No they didn’t, I turned 18 in 2004 and British culture was incredibly boozy back then.. Maybe people who turned 18 in 2014 were less inclined to binge drink as they had more alternatives largely thanks to social media but to say people who grew up in the 90’s dialled back the drinking is a nonsense.