Anyone else giving serious thought to calling it a day?

2 hours ago, CALDERON said:

We bottled it that season to be honest. We were a decent amount clear in March and had chances to extend our lead too. 

There was one game where we drew against Morton away I think and McGlynn went really weird in the post match interview. Knew at that point the pressure got to him. 

There were a few games where we bottled it. The one that really struck me was where we utterly hammered Cowdenbeath into a 2-2 draw at home. Tade missed a free header with a minute to go after Andy McNeil had an utter shocker. That was the game where I felt that we were really struggling. The Pars went up to Dingwall and scored a last minute goal, while we we couldn't beat relegation strugglers. 

McNeil was an utter flapper. Did he not cost you a couple of games?

In the deciding derby at East End he came for a ball and totally missed it, with it bouncing just wide.

Not to be outcome, Chris Smith spilled a fairly weak shot to allow Baird to tap in the opener.

5 hours ago, Grant228 said:

No you weren't, just because something is mathematically possible doesn't merit you having "a shout" of winning it. As well as being 6 points behind you were also 10 behind Dunfermline on goal difference, with less goals scored. 

Absolutely no Falkirk fan, nor any football fan was thinking that you had a "shout" of winning the title. 

Presumably you still think Clyde had a chance of winning the league 1 title? By your logic Dunfermline were still in with a shout of winning the championship. 

That's just semantics.

As long as it's possible you are in with a shout. 

Back to the subject it was certainly not the total disaster of a season that your are trying to paint. That came much later as we know. 

2 hours ago, Sanity check needed. said:
4 hours ago, virginton said:
They've been making bigger and more hilarious mistakes than that on a rolling, monthly basis since August 2018. It's been absolutely fucking hilarious to watch their gormless fanbase create and remove in turn about seven different profile pictures as each of their new jobber icons/shan 'sack the board' initiatives/Walter Mitty buyers collapse into utter failure.
The gift that just keeps on giving to the rest of Scottish football.
IMG_1576962560.451370.jpg.10ebb265f92f5a0547901406540577bb.jpg

Morton fans still obsessed with Falkirk, it's almost embarrassing

Perhaps they might support us once their own club goes bust in a few months.

5 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Pars fans absolutely rattled and digging out the charts and graphs simply because 6 points behind with 2 matches to go isn't mathematically finished. Odd.

Not exactly allot to be occupied with at the moment. 

Anyway, 1 point behind with 8 games to go is mathematically finished. 

5 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

It annoyed me the way we just downed tools after the loss at EEP. Was there still 3 games to go? I recall losing to QoS at home the following game and the atmosphere was awful. The fans and players were all on a complete downer.

Us scoring early at Morton probably didn't help your players mindsets tbf. 

41 minutes ago, Hank von Hell said:

That's just semantics.

As long as it's possible you are in with a shout. 

Nope. 

I'd say it was a disaster tbh, all things considered it was actually a pretty good chance for Falkirk to bounce right back up, Pressley got it wrong and it ended with Dunfermline winning the tittle. If the roles were reversed I'd have that down as a shite season. 

5 hours ago, CALDERON said:

We were still top at that point. But im sure the Pars dropped points that day so we would have went miles clear if we had won. 

Probably one of the loudest Rovers supports I've been in that day. 

We drew with Partick, that'd be the last points we'd drop all season, we'd go on to win our last 6.

You really should've pulled away during January and February, out of 8 games we only won twice. 

5 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Point behind. Had a chance to go into the game ahead of them but blew our game in hand against Cowden. 

A great night. 

That was my favourite season supporting Dunfermline, 33% of our games were derby matches, old enough to appreciate it and get pished etc etc. The rest of the decade was absolutely shite.

If anyone, for whatever reason wants to see a league table on a specific date in the past, http://www.fitbastats.com/ is pretty cool. If you find pointless stats cool of course. 

Edited by Grant228

6 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Not exactly allot to be occupied with at the moment. 

Anyway, 1 point behind with 8 games to go is mathematically finished. 

Us scoring early at Morton probably didn't help your players mindsets tbf. 

Nope. 

I'd say it was a disaster tbh, all things considered it was actually a pretty good chance for Falkirk to bounce right back up, Pressley got it wrong and it ended with Dunfermline winning the tittle. If the roles were reversed I'd have that down as a shite season. 

We drew with Partick, that'd be the last points we'd drop all season, we'd go on to win our last 6.

You really should've pulled away during January and February, out of 8 games we only won twice. 

A great night. 

That was my favourite season supporting Dunfermline, 33% of our games were derby matches, old enough to appreciate it and get pished etc etc. The rest of the decade was absolutely shite.

If anyone, for whatever reason wants to see a league table on a specific date in the past, http://www.fitbastats.com/ is pretty cool. If you find pointless stats cool of course. 

I actually really enjoyed the season. We were punching well above our weight and the derbies were all great occasions. The build up to the one in April was something I've never seen before, I'm sure Sportsound had a dedicated programme to it during the week. 

Still feels like the one that got away though. Don't think the club or team genuinely thought we would do it, seemed like the pressure got too much in the end. 

Still, when you look at where we ended up, it put into context how good a job Mcglynn did first time round. 

How many champions league sides did we have? Noone gives a feck about the europa league. Man U are beating clubs with their reserve sides ffs. Champ league is all that matters and again we had no team qualifying.
Champions League is simply a bought trophy. If it didn't come back, I for one wouldn't miss it. Also a huge drain on the possible funding to lower leagues. ( There will no doubt be arguements for it) and does nothing for the development of players at a local level. A midweek game used to be a treat, but now it's a curse to some teams as the loss of attendees on a Champions League night is obvious. Only the diehards turnout.

There are many downplaying the standard of lower league football in Scotland. I have to say, that I feel the standard has improved immensely in the past few seasons. We have young managers coming in to the game, determined to play an attractive style of football. Think back 20 years, and most of the good players of the time, would probably struggle with the pace and level of fitness in most players in League 1 and 2 now.

11 hours ago, smuggfifer said:

Champions League is simply a bought trophy. If it didn't come back, I for one wouldn't miss it. Also a huge drain on the possible funding to lower leagues. ( There will no doubt be arguements for it) and does nothing for the development of players at a local level. A midweek game used to be a treat, but now it's a curse to some teams as the loss of attendees on a Champions League night is obvious. Only the diehards turnout.

There are many downplaying the standard of lower league football in Scotland. I have to say, that I feel the standard has improved immensely in the past few seasons. We have young managers coming in to the game, determined to play an attractive style of football. Think back 20 years, and most of the good players of the time, would probably struggle with the pace and level of fitness in most players in League 1 and 2 now.

Of course they would at any level. Facilities and things like diet etc are different now than 20 years ago. What hasn't improved is skill levels which is crazy considering the fact that pitches etc were not of the same standard back then but players could still control and pass a ball far better than the players of today. Standard of ability in league one this season was pretty poor  but a lot of sides were excellent fitness and pace wise. In fact falkirk were one of the poorest in that side of the game which saw them struggle against teams like clyde and airdrie.

On 22/04/2020 at 12:54, Hank von Hell said:

Yes but my statement was specifically & exclusively concerning his time at Falkirk...…...as was your original one.  

You said Steven Pressley's management was when it all went wrong for Falkirk - I replied disputing that giving you my reasoning.

His subsequent managerial record has zero relevance to this. Would you say Davie Moyes did a crap job at Everton based on his overall management record & pish performance at Man U , Real Sociedad, Sunderland etc? (and I am not saying Pressley is in Moyes' league as a coach.)     

May started the rot and pressley was the cherry on the relegation cake. We only needed one win from the last 5 games against the dross of the league and he couldnt even manage that.  We went down without as much as a whimper. Christ kilmarnock hardly won a game in the last 2 months and yet still ended up above us. He should've been punted then but to give him the job permanently was just suicide.  His signings first year down were poor as was his continued attempts to play bob as a sitting midfielder covering the back 4. Bob wasnt the player his contract merited but he had far more ability than that. That season was our best chance of going back up as the budget wasnt slashed to the year after but he completed fecked it up.

The may appointment was perhaps the worst decision I  the entire history of the club closely followed by the academy closure.  The club will never be more attractive to manage.  In europe, established top flight team, chance to build own team, great facilities and yet we go for the boy with no experience who does a great job with the youths but doesnt really want the job.  You couldnt make it up and we've never recovered.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

On 24/04/2020 at 20:24, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Pars fans absolutely rattled and digging out the charts and graphs simply because 6 points behind with 2 matches to go isn't mathematically finished. Odd.

Tbf I wouldn’t say Grant’s opinions are the same as the majority of the Pars fans opinions.

Grant would try and start a fight in an empty house 😂.

On 21/04/2020 at 08:40, Shadwell Dog said:

As I said lot of clubs put out reserves sides in the europa league. Noone really takes it seriously apart from nations like us.  It's a bit like the challenge cup  noone takes much interest till you get to the semis or final. 

Absolute guff. Can tell you that every side Rangers have faced in the Europa League this season have fielded their strongest side and some actually rested their players in domestic football to prepare for the ties. A quick look at Celtic’s opponents would tell you they faced opponents strongest teams too. Scottish football has competed relatively well over the last 2 seasons and is flying up the coefficient table.

Edited by BraveheartGordon

7 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Absolute guff. Can tell you that every side Rangers have faced in the Europa League this season have fielded their strongest side and some actually rested their players in domestic football to prepare for the ties. A quick look at Celtic’s opponents would tell you they faced opponents strongest teams too. Scottish football has competed relatively well over the last 2 seasons and is flying up the coefficient table.

Look at the sides man u and arsenal have been putting out. Youngsters and reserves players and a couple of first teamers.   Lot of english sides would give it a miss if possible.  The really big sides in it dont give a feck. Likes of braga and feyenoord might but their hardly major forces in european football these days.The fact that Kluj put our champs out the champ league qualifiers says it all about where we are. Until we're getting sides into the champ league consistently again we've got nowt to crow about on a european level.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

Look at the sides man u and arsenal have been putting out. Youngsters and reserves players and a couple of first teamers.   Lot of english sides would give it a miss if possible.  The fact that Kluj put our champs out the champ league qualifiers says it all about where we are.  Until we're getting sides into the champ league consistently again we've got nowt to crow about on a european level.

You keep using Cluj as some sort of example of a guff team that Scottish sides should easily beat, but I fail to see why given that it’s a league of at minimum similar stature to the Scottish one...if not better, and Cluj have been in the Champions league group stages in the recent past.
They are also a better side than, say Steaua or Dinamo who you would expect to roger most sides outside of the ugly sisters in Scotland....
Ps. If you’re going to dismiss them as non entities, at least have the decency to spell their name correctly.

46 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

You keep using Cluj as some sort of example of a guff team that Scottish sides should easily beat, but I fail to see why given that it’s a league of at minimum similar stature to the Scottish one...if not better, and Cluj have been in the Champions league group stages in the recent past.
They are also a better side than, say Steaua or Dinamo who you would expect to roger most sides outside of the ugly sisters in Scotland....
Ps. If you’re going to dismiss them as non entities, at least have the decency to spell their name correctly.

I never said they were guff or we should easily beat them but if we're going to say recent euro performances by scottish sides have been good then we should be  beating them surely or are we now rating our performances in europe as good because we can lose narrowly to Romanian teams that on the odd occasion make the champions league stages. In european terms they like rangers and celtic are non entities these days I'm afraid. At least qualifying for the champions league regularly would be a start but we're not even at that stage yet.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

On 26/04/2020 at 08:56, Shadwell Dog said:

What hasn't improved is skill levels which is crazy considering the fact that pitches etc were not of the same standard back then but players could still control and pass a ball far better than the players of today. 

This just isn't true though, eh? It's just your nostalgic memories telling you things used to be better. Scottish football must be the only sport in the world where skill level decreases over time despite every other aspect of the sport being professionalised and improving.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

This just isn't true though, eh? It's just your nostalgic memories telling you things used to be better. Scottish football must be the only sport in the world where skill level decreases over time despite every other aspect of the sport being professionalised and 

The entertainment and skill on show is vastly inferior to the stuff I watched in the late 80s and 90s. Players could actually pass a ball back then for a start.  First touches were far better and you had a lot of excellent players certainly in what is now the championship I didn't see a lot of the lower leagues back then. 

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The entertainment and skill on show is vastly inferior to the stuff I watched in the late 80s and 90s. Players could actually pass a ball back then for a start.  First touches were far better and you had a lot of excellent players certainly in what is now the championship I didn't see a lot of the lower leagues back then. 

My point is it's not really based on fact, it's based on your memory of amazing players that you loved. "First touches were far better". Leave it out, Shads.

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

My point is it's not really based on fact, it's based on your memory of amazing players that you loved. "First touches were far better". Leave it out, Shads.

I watch the old vids and they are. Christ some of the stuff in league one this season has been murder to watch. Ball bouncing off folk and spending more time out the park. We're not great at all but have still managed to trounce a few teams 6,5,4 zero at times.  A lot of young robots in the game these days. Little skill all about pace and stamina.  Championship used to have a lot of very good players. Coyles, mccallisters, crawfords, Cameron's etc. Very few these days.