Anyone else giving serious thought to calling it a day?

This is something I have been thinking about for the last 2-3 seasons, I am just not enjoying the football the same as I was. it is not purely down to the shit we have been serving up because, believe it or not, we have had teams just as shit as the current one before, and I never missed a game.

I just don't have the same appetite for it now, maybe it is just a few kick in the baws too much. I do know one big reason I am pissed off with it all, and that is the blatant corruption that seems to be generally accepted as the norm.

For decades we have watched the self preservation league move goalposts to keep the their pals sweet, and I am sure they will find a way to keep Hearts up too. 

But, for me, Scottish football is stagnating, the quality on display from Celtic all the way down to Brechin is just awful. Aberdeen regularly get pumped in Europe by trawler boat crews and every time Celtic play  a decent European side they get humiliated, but maybe it is just the more serious issues at the moment that have put football into a more realistic perspective.

Is anyone else feeling the same way, or do I just need a kick up the erse?

1 hour ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

This is something I have been thinking about for the last 2-3 seasons, I am just not enjoying the football the same as I was. it is not purely down to the shit we have been serving up because, believe it or not, we have had teams just as shit as the current one before, and I never missed a game.

I just don't have the same appetite for it now, maybe it is just a few kick in the baws too much. I do know one big reason I am pissed off with it all, and that is the blatant corruption that seems to be generally accepted as the norm.

For decades we have watched the self preservation league move goalposts to keep the their pals sweet, and I am sure they will find a way to keep Hearts up too. 

But, for me, Scottish football is stagnating, the quality on display from Celtic all the way down to Brechin is just awful. Aberdeen regularly get pumped in Europe by trawler boat crews and every time Celtic play  a decent European side they get humiliated, but maybe it is just the more serious issues at the moment that have put football into a more realistic perspective.

Celtic beat Lazio, who're 1 point off the top of Serie A, home and away this season.

I think apathy sets in from time to time, no matter who you support out with probably Celtic and in the current climate it probably amplifies those feelings.

In my late teens and early 20’s I used to go home and away to support East Fife with a great bunch of guys and girls but over the years that number started to dwindle for a variety of reasons. I’ve been out of Scotland nearly 6 years now but first thing I do on a Sunday morning over here is check the East Fife result.

I think once the whole Coronavirus pandemic hopefully starts to become more manageable then things in the garden will start to look a bit more rose again.

4 hours ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

Go watch your local amateur/junior team instead. You're closer to the action and become much more heavily invested in the highs and lows of the season, on top of the social side being pretty good also. 

39 minutes ago, AFCDannyFTH said:

Go watch your local amateur/junior team instead. You're closer to the action and become much more heavily invested in the highs and lows of the season, on top of the social side being pretty good also. 

We are one step up from this and it's not as good as is made out.  I think the OP makes some good points , especially on the underhand stuff .

We at Brechin have had some good times and some cracking away days but there is always the feeling that supporters in general are taken for granted a lot of the time. 

I am not sure if I could just completely chuck it  though . Maybe better to keep nipping away at the powers that be in the hope they listen . 

Mostly enjoy my football as much as ever. (Even though because of other commitments I’ve managed to miss all of my team's wins this season, so first ever where I’ve not seen a single win.) But I’ve given up watching the top flight. Boring beyond belief, with the only competition to Celtic coming from a financially doped team.

Completely disagree with your sentiments regarding the standard of Scottish football. I think our game has improved a lot from where we were perhaps ten years ago when clubs were bringing in teams full of second rate players from abroad. I’m sick of hearing how poor our game is compared to our English neighbours. They might have plenty money and top players down there but, in my opinion, the games in the EPL are boring and pretty predictable. One thing you can’t accuse Scottish football of is being boring!

Like Ballboy, I grew up watching Airdrie in the 90’s at the old Broomfield. Maybe I’m looking back through rose-tinted specs but it’s not the same. I think those of who can remember ‘the good old days’ would say the same. Folk will say you can’t live in the past but it was so much better back then. I buy my season ticket every year, but over the past few years, it’s not necessarily because I want to, it’s because I feel it’s my duty. I go on a Saturday as a force of habit. There are many like me. Some have even broken the habit.

5 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Celtic beat Lazio, who're 1 point off the top of Serie A, home and away this season.

Italian teams dont really give a feck for the europa league though. Celtic getting pumped out by cluj who didn't even  qualify shows us  where we're really at.

2 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Italian teams dont really give a feck for the europa league though. Celtic getting pumped out by cluj who didn't even  qualify shows us  where we're really at.

Scotland had the 6th best performance of any league in Europe this season.

7 hours ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

Losing to Clyde 3 times can't have helped. Stick with it brother, we were rotten for years.

5 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Scotland had the 6th best performance of any league in Europe this season.

How many champions league sides did we have? Noone gives a feck about the europa league. Man U are beating clubs with their reserve sides ffs. Champ league is all that matters and again we had no team qualifying.

1 minute ago, Shadwell Dog said:

How many champions league sides did we have? Noone gives a feck about the europa league. Man U are beating clubs with their reserve sides ffs. Champ league is all that matters and again we had no team qualifying.

So only 32 teams matter in European football?

Just now, Marshmallo said:

So only 32 teams matter in European football?

As I said lot of clubs put out reserves sides in the europa league. Noone really takes it seriously apart from nations like us.  It's a bit like the challenge cup  noone takes much interest till you get to the semis or final. 

8 hours ago, BairnBrainBrian said:

I wouldn't worry too much about returning to watch a game.

If this situation goes on for a year or more there will not be much to watch.

This is the biggest crisis to ever hit football in peacetime, and if football in general doesnt get its collective shit together, there will be nothing left worth watching.

Time to see if the game can be saved, not indulge in a reconstruction to save 3 or 4 clubs from relegation, which is the classic mindset.

46 minutes ago, C. Muir said:

Losing to Clyde 3 times can't have helped. Stick with it brother, we were rotten for years.

Clyde FC supporters top Tattoos 2020:

1) We beat Falkirk 3 times this season!

2) Club Crest

3) Mum

4) Dad

image.png.afe1429d6d7cd8f9ca40bbb7b9b00742.png

image.png

image.png.5669db9abd0ebdb144f35e1cb84e2b42.png

image.png.0f855d0f73677e403df6347b70d9606a.png

Edited by Bairn in Exile