Goalies the best & the worst

On 27/04/2020 at 19:09, maicoman said:

Excellent effort apart from Adam Strain and Kris Robertson  need to swap positions with each other in my opinion  What manager did Tiropolous  play under?

Frank Lynch initially then Johnny Millar - he left to join the police I believe part way through the 2008-09 season when Keith Ross was re-signed when he was cup tied and John Wight played the West of Scotland Cup run success.

Edited by beith19

On 28/04/2020 at 08:32, Bul2 said:

Going back a good few years with some of these and sure to miss some good ones,

Billy Bentley , Ian Porter, Terry Dyer, Tony Bryden, Big “JC” John Connolly , Graeme Potter , Kevin Budinaukis , Ally Semple and Kieran Hughes looks as if he will be a good signing as well ( if I have missed your favourite, apologies , just a few fro memory )

Not picking a “bad” keeper as they all try their best and unfair to single guys out

Bryden was a great keeper at Kilbirnie.Andy Heafey was another good one but a bit mental lol

Danny Moy was one of the best and loyal keepers we had , also scored a few penalties during his time .
No gonna say worst one's but suffice to say we've had some belters [emoji1787]
One of many top class goalies we've had at Petershill over the years.

Danny Moy
Sandy McLean
Gerry McLaughlin
Neil Parry
David Hutton
Scott Black
Steven McNeil

A few older fans will say top of the list should be John Bett who played in the 60s, and wore all black in respect of his hero Lev Yashin.

Danny Moy
Sandy McLean
Gerry McLaughlin
Neil Parry
David Hutton
Scott Black
Steven McNeil

A few older fans will say top of the list should be John Bett who played in the 60s, and wore all black in respect of his hero Lev Yashin.
danny was with us for over 10 years , i think he came to us from peasy , great keeper and a decent guy , wee gerry McLaughlin was a smashing keeper to
i think he played for our u21 team at one point , only negative i ever heard bout gerry was that people thought if he was just that bit taller he would have went senior .

11 minutes ago, nicotina said:

peasy   what was the name of ur goalie who played early 70's

stout chap fair hair   think he had a moustache  played with fulton

always played well against the lok when i seen him

Mid to late 70s rather than early, as you say he played with Norrie Fulton, and Norrie was with us from 75 to 79. Tam Gourlay was his name, certainly a character. In this picture there are a few other notable names, including Dougie Friedman and Jimmy Robertson. Tam is in the middle of the back row with the waterproof on. I only have vague memories of him, one of them was him almost getting booked for arguing with the ref after he had awarded us a goal kick, Tam was adamant that it should have been a corner as he got a touch on the shot.

1978.jpg

19 hours ago, Garden City said:

Bryden was a great keeper at Kilbirnie.Andy Heafey was another good one but a bit mental lol

As a gk coach, I never had the pleasure of working with them, but I know from speaking to people whose opinions I respect, the pair were brilliant. Did you not know being mental is part of a goalies CV? (•‿•). I can give you one that I did coach when he was at Mary hill, where he won player of the year, and then years later at petershill... Scott black. Even when he was aged aged thirty five, he was the first one out to start our sessions, and had one particular season when he kept saving penalty kicks. Finished just behind Paul Mather in the club player of the year votes.  We still keep in contact.

18 hours ago, kilsyth ranger said:

danny was with us for over 10 years , i think he came to us from peasy , great keeper and a decent guy , wee gerry McLaughlin was a smashing keeper to
i think he played for our u21 team at one point , only negative i ever heard bout gerry was that people thought if he was just that bit taller he would have went senior .

Spot on with Gerry. It's the old ...he ain't tall enough verdict by managers and scouts. Terrific goalie though. I can add Michael White to the list. If my memory serves me correctly, Mikey overtook sandy McLean's shut out record at least. I enjoyed training sessions with him, Scott black and Stevie, plus other younger gks I was allowed to bring in following an approach to go there and previously at glencairn from Willie Paterson. Michael was not popular amongst all the supporters after I left, and I know he conceded some poor goals, but those situations apply to every keeper. It goes with the position. Have really enjoyed this topic. Thank you for sharing your views and photographs, too.

On 26/04/2020 at 15:08, bc57 said:

Gareth Hallford our current keeper ( I hope! ) is the best keeper we have had in the 15 years I have followed Lanark.  

We've had one or two not so good, who didn't last too long, fortunately but, I won't be naming any.

George Wood played a few games for Lanark as a 16 year old,  went on to play for East Stirling, Blackpool, Everton and Arsenal 

Also managed to get himself a few Scotland caps

On 01/05/2020 at 16:04, peasy23 said:

Danny Moy
Sandy McLean
Gerry McLaughlin
Neil Parry
David Hutton
Scott Black
Steven McNeil

Mikey White was excellent his first season too. A few mistakes crept in after that. But he was a good keeper.