On 20/04/2020 at 17:04, The Minertaur said:

We've been lucky over the years and had some good keepers: David Hay, Thomas Flynn, Jamie Sneddon, David McGurn.

Then you have Michael Andrews....

On 21/04/2020 at 14:18, Cowden Cowboy said:

Raymie Allan, Jim McArthur, Ernie McGarr - they were great goalies for Cowden

Agree with the above. Never seen Jim McArthur in his prime for us but seen him play his last game for us when he guested as a trialist at Stenhousmuir in 1983 when Raymie was injured.

Ernie was probably my first Cowden hero who had some rate of saving penalties sure @Cowden Cowboy done an article on who had the best penalty save percentage a few years ago. Before Ernie were Ted McFeat and Willie Wilson, remember Wilson knocking himself out when he hit his head off the post making a save.

After Ernie and before Raymie was Davie Cooper, who had got done for housebreaking can remember him getting some stick at EEP when we played the Pars.

We seem to have done ok with keepers over the years at Galabank.  Alex Mitchell has obviously been the main stay but there has been others who have been decent - Blair Currie, Jordan Hart, Big Craig Summersgill all spring to mind.

This season has been poor though, used five goalies up until the shutdown. Strangest sight was seeing Chris Smith squeezed into a lycra top. Half the crowd thought he had been drafted in from the Monday night Darts team with the other half just thought he was the bus driver! To be fair he did alright for us even if not fit.

Since joining the league, Annan have always seemed to hit the jackpot with their keepers, at this level there is always an element of hit and miss but your various managers over the years seem to have always got that position right, from my knowledge.

When my son first started attending games, he wanted to be a Goalkeeper and loved Chris Smith, he didn’t even recognise him when he played at Forthbank for Annan haha.

A real mixed bag for me. The best has probably been the current incumbent (Graeme Smith) followed by Greg Fleming. Other good ones have been Chris Smith and of course Willie McCulloch.

Bad - Jamie Barclay, please step forward. Other nominees, Calum Reidford and Kieran Renton.

• 4 weeks later...

Lucas might be the only player in Scotland to have ever fled the country after a 'mare of a performance. Seemingly his shiteness wasn't restricted to Queen's
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/opinion/sport/record-fc-spfl-curious-case-4543222

He played for airdrie v us in a challenge cup game, while airdrie were a division above

last min airdrie 1-0 up, he came to clear the ball, he ended up kicking it straight up about 60 feet in the air, John "The Beast" Gemmell, done an overhead kick over the keepers head into the net,

We won on pens

We have been blessed with some excellent keepers through the years.  John Ritchie, Derek Neilson, Dave Lawrie, Scott Thomson, Craig Nelson, Graeme Smith,    to name a few. 

The worst were probably Calum Antel and Michael Andrews.

I say worst , but we had been spoiled with a run of excellent keepers when they came in so they were on a hiding to nothing. 

On 18/05/2020 at 11:36, Chris_the_rover said:

He played for airdrie v us in a challenge cup game, while airdrie were a division above

last min airdrie 1-0 up, he came to clear the ball, he ended up kicking it straight up about 60 feet in the air, John "The Beast" Gemmell, done an overhead kick over the keepers head into the net,

We won on pens

27th July 2014.  I was working at the Commonwealth  Games and had a day off so went to this game. as I think Rovers had been relegated to 2nd division. Wife wasn't happy that I didn't travel home for her birthday (hence I remember the date) but went to the game.

On 20/04/2020 at 20:32, JT1867 said:

Stevie Ross and Mick Monaghan were good keepers as well. Birnstingle is the poorest I've seen, giving away daft penalties, conceding goals from the half way line, there was no beginning to his talents.

Peter Hamilton was pish as well

Mick up there with best for me. Derek Atkins was also great. Most of the others have been mentioned but someone who gets unfairly forgotten is Neil Inglis from our last title winning side. He was class that season and I hardly remember him making a mistake. Think he got around 18 shut outs that season ( might be wrong) 

On 29/05/2020 at 17:30, Mick1867 said:

Mick up there with best for me. Derek Atkins was also great. Most of the others have been mentioned but someone who gets unfairly forgotten is Neil Inglis from our last title winning side. He was class that season and I hardly remember him making a mistake. Think he got around 18 shut outs that season ( might be wrong) 

Your never wrong Mick and once again your right, Neil Inglis was great that season.

On 29/05/2020 at 17:30, Mick1867 said:

Forgot about him. Seemed to spend half his time wrapped around a post as he flailed at another long distance shot as it sailed into the net.

Outstanding:

Ray Dunlop

Stewart Kennedy

Neil Alexander

Roddy McKenzie

Lindsay Hamilton

Less Than Outstandings:

Colin McCabe

Jamie Barclay

Calum Riedford

Graham Bowman

Chris McCluskey

Very harsh on Chris McCluskey, he won POTY when we stayed in the league 1 first time of asking. Had his moments but every goalie at our level will.

Damn good keepers, John Martin, Craig Gordon, Davie Hay, Thomas Flynn & David McGurn. 

Ok keepers, Buzz Lamont, Stevie O'Hanlon, Alan Combe, Andy Carlin, Kyle Allison & Youseff Bejaoui. 

In between ok/bad, Stevie "Away" Hutchison, and Ross Godfrey.

Useless and murder, Stephan Gollasch, Stephen Orr & Michael Andrews. 

Edited by The Blue Brasilion

19 hours ago, The Blue Brasilion said:

Damn good keepers, John Martin, Craig Gordon, Davie Hay, Thomas Flynn & David McGurn. 

Ok keepers, Buzz Lamont, Stevie O'Hanlon, Alan Combe, Andy Carlin, Kyle Allison & Youseff Bejaoui. 

In between ok/bad, Stevie "Away" Hutchison, and Ross Godfrey.

Useless and murder, Stephan Gollasch, Stephen Orr & Michael Andrews. 

No mention of Ray Allan ? 

On 05/06/2020 at 14:56, The Blue Brasilion said:

He just left when I started following Cowden, so just going with the keepers I have seen play. 

Here's some more keepers for you to rank that played the same amount or more games than Stephan Gollasch, Kyle Allison & Youseff Bejaoui :

Robbie Thomson
Lee Wilson
Ludovic Roy
Grant Adam
Jamie Sneddon
Craig Wight
Colin Stewart
Seb Usai
Joe McGovern
Alin Roman
Kevin Dabrowski
PJ Morrison
Joshua Rae

Jamie Pyper probably has the same amount of goalkeeping appearances as Gollasch.

• 1 month later...

In recent years it would have to be David Mitchel and Max Currie. Both came in as young boys with little experience, got a few seasons under the belts and got a move. Two fantastic keepers. 
We had David McGurn for a short time. Looked a very solid keeper and highly rated everywhere else he’s been. 
Going back to the last time we won the league Michael McGovern was fantastic. Has went on to have a good career for himself too. 
Some hold Cammy Belford in high regards but I thinking he was a clown. More interested in being a show pony. Mistake away to Ayr United was embarrassing. 

Worst recently would have to be Connor Brennan. He didn’t stick about too long as he was recalled by Kilmarnock. I’m guessing he’s improved or just has a really good agent. 

Since I started following Stranraer we’ve had guys like, Barney Duffy, Gary Matthews,  John Hillcoat and Mark McGeown. All very good. 

1 hour ago, Mattmc said:

In recent years it would have to be David Mitchel and Max Currie. Both came in as young boys with little experience, got a few seasons under the belts and got a move. Two fantastic keepers. 
We had David McGurn for a short time. Looked a very solid keeper and highly rated everywhere else he’s been. 
Going back to the last time we won the league Michael McGovern was fantastic. Has went on to have a good career for himself too. 
Some hold Cammy Belford in high regards but I thinking he was a clown. More interested in being a show pony. Mistake away to Ayr United was embarrassing. 

Worst recently would have to be Connor Brennan. He didn’t stick about too long as he was recalled by Kilmarnock. I’m guessing he’s improved or just has a really good agent. 

Since I started following Stranraer we’ve had guys like, Barney Duffy, Gary Matthews,  John Hillcoat and Mark McGeown. All very good. 

Mark McGeown played for us for 10 years, he was one of a quartet of excellent goalkeepers who had a run of 30 years in the team from 1969 - Geordie Young, Graham Arthur, Andy Graham and Mark gave very few opportunities to their reserves most of whom disappeared into history. One of the few other names I can recall from that era was Lindsay Hamilton and that only because of his disastrous 4 game loan spell from Rangers with us. Given his long career he must have been better that he showed for the Albion.

18 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

Mark McGeown played for us for 10 years, he was one of a quartet of excellent goalkeepers who had a run of 30 years in the team from 1969 - Geordie Young, Graham Arthur, Andy Graham and Mark gave very few opportunities to their reserves most of whom disappeared into history. One of the few other names I can recall from that era was Lindsay Hamilton and that only because of his disastrous 4 game loan spell from Rangers with us. Given his long career he must have been better that he showed for the Albion.

Think he joined Stranraer at the same time as Andy Patterson from Stirling Albion. 
Was excited about both joining but Patterson hardly kicked a ball for us. Bad luck with injuries. 

We’ve been spoiled for good keepers over the years. As Mattmc said recent good ones have been David Mitchell and Max Currie.

In my 50 years of watching Stranraer I’ve also enjoyed watching Billy Whiteside, John Taylor, Barney Duffy, Stevie Ross and (briefly) Mike McGovern and Barry John Corr. Gary Matthews and Mark McGeown were decent too.

Worst in recent years was Conor Brennan.