Goalies

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Allan McKnight ruined my life. He was playing in goal for Albion Rovers on loan from Celtic in the first Meadowbank match I went to. He managed to get himself sent off as Thistle recorded an easy win and I decided Meadowbank were a team worth following.

If the sod had played a blinder that day life might have been simpler.. 

Just catching up tonight and I liked your account. Watching games at Meadowbank Stadium was a bit of a struggle for away fans as well-my "lowlight" was  Nipper scoring three against us. Mind you we did eventually get his talents added to our good years later. It is a long time ago but I have vague memories of Meadowbank thumping us at Broomfield. Did you stick with them and go on to support Livingston? 

1 hour ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Just catching up tonight and I liked your account. Watching games at Meadowbank Stadium was a bit of a struggle for away fans as well-my "lowlight" was  Nipper scoring three against us. Mind you we did eventually get his talents added to our good years later. It is a long time ago but I have vague memories of Meadowbank thumping us at Broomfield. Did you stick with them and go on to support Livingston? 

The failed franchise? Did I foxtrot.

Especially as Blobby Hunter said "f*ck the fans". That put me off a wee bit...

Best - Anyone remember Connor Quinn? Played 4 or 5 games for us, including one of the best goalie performances I’ve ever seen against Ayr away, then just disappeared into the ether.

Worst - That 11/12 season we had 6 or 7 goalies, Nick Feely, Mentel even Alan Combe had a go. Somehow JC Hutchinson was still the worst. Rotten. Special mention to Andy McNeil who had a shocker against Alloa as a trialist but only really because I was quite excited about him. 

On 20/04/2020 at 22:19, Chapelhall chap said:

I think in the John Martin book by John O'Brien there are some comments on it. I will dig it out and pass on any views.  He had had been at the Rovers  on loan from Celtic? For some reason Doddie thought he was better than big John-I think he only played 2 games so maybe we were right. He had been known as McKnightmare at West Ham just before that.

Rescued the book from my football Library. Page 66 has a lengthy account which shows that Big John was  not impressed at how Doddie went about bringing in McKnight without having seen John actually play. He was in the reserves for a couple of games. It followed the season where we went up with Falkirk, and quite a few of the guys from that team did not feature much for Doddie: so Big John did well to keep his place for so many years after.

Back in 1990, the wife was going on maternity leave to have our daughter.  A group she worked with went for a meal in Falkirk then I met up later with the group and we went to a few bars and a club. The Clyde keeper at the time was on the night out and was bladdered and headed home about 3.00 am

The following day Clyde were playing Airdrie at Firhill, I was going to see Falkirk wherever they were playing and rough as hell. Airdrie looked an attractive 2/1 on the coupon, and the Clyde keeper had drank more than me and I couldn’t imagine how he could play a senior football match 12 hours after coming off the booze. I had a single bet on Airdrie.  Half Time score came through Clyde 0 Airdrie 4 

Airdrie finally won 4-1 and I recouped the spend from the night before.

I’ve always wondered what Steve’s performance was like in that first half v Airdrie

Big Stewart Kennedy at Forfar. Total legend
Can't believe 68 posts in before Kennedy gets a mention.

To have a keeper of his class and character playing with us for 10 seasons, how privileged were we?

He was immense, in reality far too good for the lower leagues at that time.

On 28/04/2020 at 21:42, NUMBER 7 said:

Back in 1990, the wife was going on maternity leave to have our daughter.  A group she worked with went for a meal in Falkirk then I met up later with the group and we went to a few bars and a club. The Clyde keeper at the time was on the night out and was bladdered and headed home about 3.00 am

The following day Clyde were playing Airdrie at Firhill, I was going to see Falkirk wherever they were playing and rough as hell. Airdrie looked an attractive 2/1 on the coupon, and the Clyde keeper had drank more than me and I couldn’t imagine how he could play a senior football match 12 hours after coming off the booze. I had a single bet on Airdrie.  Half Time score came through Clyde 0 Airdrie 4 

Airdrie finally won 4-1 and I recouped the spend from the night before.

I’ve always wondered what Steve’s performance was like in that first half v Airdrie

If it’s the same game, I was at this with a Clyde supporting pal. All 4 Airdrie goals from Owen Coyle at the peak of his hot streak that season (17 goals by October, then injured).

Stevie Ross, tsk tsk. 

If it’s the same game, I was at this with a Clyde supporting pal. All 4 Airdrie goals from Owen Coyle at the peak of his hot streak that season (17 goals by October, then injured).
Stevie Ross, tsk tsk. 
First when i saw the post im like no way as we always done reasonsble well against likes of Accies. Airdrie and obv Partick...

However after a few mins im like was that season Owen Coyle was on mega form..

Think they sold him time we played Airdrie next time around at broomfield. We were 2-1 up in injury time & peter davenport scored two within secs of each other. Should have been an early warning for a young 14 y/o at that time[emoji1][emoji85]

13 minutes ago, shawfield shed boy said:

First when i saw the post im like no way as we always done reasonsble well against likes of Accies. Airdrie and obv Partick...

However after a few mins im like was that season Owen Coyle was on mega form..

Think they sold him time we played Airdrie next time around at broomfield. We were 2-1 up in injury time & peter davenport scored two within secs of each other. Should have been an early warning for a young 14 y/o at that timeemoji1.pngemoji85.png

As I recall, there was a dive for a penalty for one of the goals that provoked outrage amongst the home support as it was so blatant. It's thirty years ago but I'm sure none of the goals were attributable to a bleary Ross. Coyle was absolutely lethal in the early part of that season and no-one could get near him.

Clyde were guff that season anyway, didn't win at home until December and finally relegated after defying the odds for years. The job John Clark did in keeping a potless club, operating out of a Portakabin, and training twice a week in Strathclyde Park, playing in the second tier for so long, was under-appreciated at the time. He left the following season after Clyde moved to old Douglas Park and failed to get out of the bottom tier- seen as a major failure for the Bully Wee at that time. Alex Smith came in, took them up and over to Broadwood.

Thinking back there were one or two good players in Clark's last first division squad- Ross, jakey or not, was a decent keeper; Keith Knox, Chico Spiers, one or two others. Gary "Swinger" Clark who later became notorious in a certain trial was also in that squad.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

On 23/04/2020 at 00:11, Brian Carrigan said:

Best - Anyone remember Connor Quinn? Played 4 or 5 games for us, including one of the best goalie performances I’ve ever seen against Ayr away, then just disappeared into the ether.

Worst - That 11/12 season we had 6 or 7 goalies, Nick Feely, Mentel even Alan Combe had a go. Somehow JC Hutchinson was still the worst. Rotten. Special mention to Andy McNeil who had a shocker against Alloa as a trialist but only really because I was quite excited about him. 

Andy McNeil is always much maligned in these lists but I never thought he was particularly bad during his one season with Airdrie. Ironically, his namesake is now one of our young reserve goalkeepers. 

Your 11/12 was much like our 13/14 season where we had 7 players taking a turn in goals. Colin Stewart, Andy Duncan, Scott Gallacher (on loan from Rangers who's now back at the club), Tony Bullock (in Gary Bollan's debut match at Ibrox before going onto become goalie coach), Jonny Grier (made one appearance off the bench and saved a penalty), Danny Rogers (on loan from Aberdeen) and Grant Adam all playing in goals for us at one point or another. 

19 hours ago, airdrieman said:

Andy McNeil is always much maligned in these lists but I never thought he was particularly bad during his one season with Airdrie. Ironically, his namesake is now one of our young reserve goalkeepers. 

Your 11/12 was much like our 13/14 season where we had 7 players taking a turn in goals. Colin Stewart, Andy Duncan, Scott Gallacher (on loan from Rangers who's now back at the club), Tony Bullock (in Gary Bollan's debut match at Ibrox before going onto become goalie coach), Jonny Grier (made one appearance off the bench and saved a penalty), Danny Rogers (on loan from Aberdeen) and Grant Adam all playing in goals for us at one point or another. 

*Shudder* 

That season, then the Lucas Birnstigl shitemare against Albion Rovers in the first match of the 14/15 season after McNeil went off injured (meaning 9 keepers in easily under 50 games) had me convinced we were cursed. Maybe that's why McNeil ended up seeming decent, although I agree, he was fine.

On 20/04/2020 at 18:08, Blue-Toon said:

Peterhead 

Best - Paul Mathers and Graeme Smith.

Worst - Graeme Smith.

Smith was brilliant in his first season with us and really poor in his final season. Couldn’t believe Raith Rovers signed him afterwards.

Ahahaha.  Smithy in the playoff game up your way was just utter shite.  I couldn't believe he was the same keeper from Brechin until he "shouted" in his best impersonation of a youth whose voice was still to break.

Cracking keeper who really went down hill very quickly.

Ahahaha.  Smithy in the playoff game up your way was just utter shite.  I couldn't believe he was the same keeper from Brechin until he "shouted" in his best impersonation of a youth whose voice was still to break.
Cracking keeper who really went down hill very quickly.

Not the same Smith from Brechin