Goalies

On 19/04/2020 at 22:07, cb_diamond said:

Christ, Allan McKnight, how could I forget him, he was dire!

I think in the John Martin book by John O'Brien there are some comments on it. I will dig it out and pass on any views.  He had had been at the Rovers  on loan from Celtic? For some reason Doddie thought he was better than big John-I think he only played 2 games so maybe we were right. He had been known as McKnightmare at West Ham just before that.

Off the top of my head I’d say best we’ve had (not in order mind) - McGovern, Krul, Kasper and Mallo.
Worst - Fasan obviously, Higgins and not sure if he played a game but Jamie Barclay.

Nah he sat on the bench a lot but don’t think he ever got a first team game for us.

Best - For me it’s definitely Michael McGovern with special mention to Dani Mallo.

Worst - Got to be Leo Fasan. A truly dreadful excuse for a ‘keeper with no redeeming features at all. Special mentions to that big Australian diddy Scott Higgins and the arguably worse Scott Flinders.

14 minutes ago, grumswall said:
4 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:
Best U20's keeper, Josh MacDonald.

Was he not a defender?

Yes, 3 years ago away to Stirling, the same day some nutter drove a lorry over the Forth road Bridge in high winds which toppled over when it was shut causing mayhem across the central belt.

The team had 11 players until during warm up a trialist keeper tore ligaments tripping over the goal post weights, this forced Josh into goal and Craig Easton had to play.

Brian, Court and McKay finally made it for the second half and Josh took his place at CB, not before having a blinding 45 minutes between the sticks.

46 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Yes, 3 years ago away to Stirling, the same day some nutter drove a lorry over the Forth road Bridge in high winds which toppled over when it was shut causing mayhem across the central belt.

The team had 11 players until during warm up a trialist keeper tore ligaments tripping over the goal post weights, this forced Josh into goal and Craig Easton had to play.

Brian, Court and McKay finally made it for the second half and Josh took his place at CB, not before having a blinding 45 minutes between the sticks.

Just two weeks after Stevenson played in goal at Ayr as well.

Best: If I miss out John Martin which is foolish, then over my long support: Roddie McKenzie/Ernie McGarr/ Davy McWilliams
Worst: Can't really remember Petr Cherrie but Conor Fairley (2-7) and maybe Alan McKnight!

All good candidates. I need to throw Andy Rhodes and Scott Thomson into the worst category. Both had achieved success elsewhere, both turned up at Airdrie with next to no confidence and proved to be utter shit.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Had completely forgot about that. 

22 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

Off the top of my head I’d say best we’ve had (not in order mind) - McGovern, Krul, Kasper and Mallo.

Worst - Fasan obviously, Higgins and not sure if he played a game but Jamie Barclay.

I never seen them play, but were krul and schmeichel two keepers that you looked at and thought, they are way too good to be playing at this level? 

17 minutes ago, buchan30 said:

I never seen them play, but were krul and schmeichel two keepers that you looked at and thought, they are way too good to be playing at this level? 

They were both very good but I think it was more that we could tell that they were going to be top class later in their careers. For me anyway.

23 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

🤔

On 20/04/2020 at 22:19, Chapelhall chap said:

I think in the John Martin book by John O'Brien there are some comments on it. I will dig it out and pass on any views.  He had had been at the Rovers  on loan from Celtic? For some reason Doddie thought he was better than big John-I think he only played 2 games so maybe we were right. He had been known as McKnightmare at West Ham just before that.

Allan McKnight ruined my life. He was playing in goal for Albion Rovers on loan from Celtic in the first Meadowbank match I went to. He managed to get himself sent off as Thistle recorded an easy win and I decided Meadowbank were a team worth following.

If the sod had played a blinder that day life might have been simpler.. 

Best - Johnny Martin, Jock Ewart, Roddy McKenzie, Lawrie Leslie, Ernie McGarr, Davy McWilliams and Broto. 

Worst - Connor Fairley, Colin Stewart and Paul McKane. Lucas Birnstingl only played once but was as bad as he was elsewhere. 

I've been supporting Airdrie since post 2002 and we've not been blessed with many great goalies in that time at all. Mark McGeown was part of a title winning squad and Stephen Robertson was a great shot-stopper but dreadful at dealing with cross balls and always had an absolute clanger in him. Grant Adam was genuinely a very good goalie in his first loan spell with us but his career has declined remarkably since then. David Hutton is certainly one of the better goalkeepers we've had in recent years and is something of a cult hero with the fans. Other than them and the ones mentioned in the worst list, we've had various no-marks and beige loanees that you can barely recall play in goal for us in recent years.