‘Junior’

1874_MTL

Some clubs have it as part of their name - Camelon, Sauchie, Tranent - like others have Rose, Thistle, United etc. as the second part of their name. In which case I'd probably say keep it.

But if it's a case of having JFC (like Kelty Hearts used to have) then it makes sense just to go to FC at the end of the club name.

Edited by Ginaro

Just now, Ginaro said:

Some clubs have it as part of their name - Camelon, Sauchie, Tranent - like others have Rose, Thistle, United etc. as the second part of their name. In which case I'd probably say keep it.

But if it's a case of having JFC (like Kelty Hearts used to have) then it makes sense just to go to FC at the end of the club name.

I was about to say the exact same thing.

I guess it's upto the club committee and fans to decide.

Wishaw Thistle was their original name when they sere senior wasn't it, and they have a thistle in their badge, so it might be good to go back to it but in reality people make a bigger fuss over Junior being part of a clubs name than is neccesary.

3 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Wishaw Thistle was their original name when they sere senior wasn't it, and they have a thistle in their badge, so it might be good to go back to it but in reality people make a bigger fuss over Junior being part of a clubs name than is neccesary.

Camelon kept juniors because of their history and quite a lot of people locally refer to us as the juniors 

Isn't there a few non league teams in England who have held on the Junior monicker?
The only one I can re-call is Pegasus Juniors who last year changed name to Hereford Pegasus.

As a sidenote some cups in England & Wales use junior in the name mainly secondary county cups for clubs way down the non-league system.

8 hours ago, Burnieman said:

No !!...God, no...not with these teeth please...no....Wushae Theesul ?...

P.S. A published author would usually spell that as "necessary " unless your pen name is Irvine Welsh.

Edited by Black Pennel
Just daftness.

I can understand there being a debate regarding teams who officially appended the word to their name, but my lot have got the opposite problem...we literally never used the term "junior" in our name throughout our entire history, but people still persist in calling us Maryhill Juniors - I wonder how long it'll take to die away, or indeed if it ever will!

Edited by Hillonearth

On 19/04/2020 at 13:19, 8MileBU said:

Despite leaving the grade, I quite like the fact some clubs such as Camelon have opted to retain ‘Juniors’ as part of their name. Nice to retain a bit of history and have a bit of recognition to how they’re traditionally known.

I don't mind if any team decide to keep their name with juniors in it.  I think some of the excuses i read, I just don't buy it right enough. retain a bit of history, naw sorry, doesn't cut it. Any team that has played in junior football is known for it, has a history that wont or should never be forgotten, actually I would see it as sad if forgotten. When I was playing junior it was brilliant going to junior grounds, Pollok, Maryhill, Auchinleck, Beith, Troon, St Rochs, Irvine Meadow, Neilston, Cumnock, Lesmahagow etc... I will never forget playing these junior teams, the atmosphere, the effect, the enjoyment of the experience but that's it, its history, teams need to adapt and go with the times and are no longer junior, that's a fact but just never forget your team was part of the junior grade but no more.  The talk of saving the grade is for dafties who are in the water, holding junior football afloat with a ball and chain hanging onto their feet dragging everything down with them

As for the West teams who have joined the pyramid, some will drop the juniors, some wont, its their choice.  If I was part of a committee of ANY team, I would drop it.  You have to ask yourself will it effect players decision about coming to your team or would they not care. Would it effect sponsorship opportunities, would a company give me more money if I was still holding onto the junior name, I don't know.  its now about building for the future and progressing, some wont, some will.

One thing for sure, junior football was  a major part of my footballing life and will never be forgotten but times move on

Edited by Bestsinceslicebread