Best & Worst Goalies

11 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Marco was excellent for the most part. Stillie did come in though and to be fair, absolutely deserved his place in the team. I can't remember at all anytime Stillie made a huge error except when leaving the club to study English Law and taking the wrong direction to play for Utd. 

Stillie's biggest error was standing as a Conservative and Unionist Party candidate in Ayrshire.

Alan Main still stands out as one of the top keepers I've seen play against us during his time at Gretna, in large part due to his constant communication with a back four with no pace or ability who - if left to their own devices - would have stopped them from even getting out of the seaside leagues (Derek Townsley and Mark Birch FFS; Chris Innes being their 'marquee' defender). The contrast between this willingness to dictate the game from the back and the parade of lower level poser dross* who ever since have focused on making Hollywood saves while organising f**k all in front of them has always been telling.  He also deliberately relegated Saint Mirren in the 2000/01 season so credit where it's due please.

Neil Alexander was a similarly excellent goalkeeper whose ability and experience was pivotal to Livingston slithering into the top flight in 2017/18. Our shitfesting team under Duffy was not much different to theirs, except that they had a goalkeeper who earned them a net ten points that season while Gaston hit some poor form for us and chucked too many in the net: including a pivotal, injury time daisy cutter at Almondvale from about 30 yards after we had bossed the entire game.

* see Robinson, Lee

Edited by vikingTON

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

He was definitely decent for us. Peter Enckleman came in and was far better, but hes one of the best keepers we've had after Main and Mannus in my lifetime (apart from the odd complete howler) so no shame in losing your spot to him.

You lot have had some drought since Main. Fs. As much as I hate Main, he was a cracking keeper. Probably my favourite ever hate figure.

Alan Main still stands out as one of the top keepers I've seen play against us during his time at Gretna, in large part due to his constant communication with a back four with no pace or ability who - if left to their own devices - would have stopped them from even getting out of the seaside leagues (Derek Townsley and Mark Birch FFS; Chris Innes being their 'marquee' defender). The contrast between this willingness to dictate the game from the back and the parade of lower level poser dross* who ever since have focused on making Hollywood saves while organising f**k all in front of them has always been telling.  He also deliberately relegated Saint Mirren in the 2000/01 season so credit where it's due please.
Neil Alexander was a similarly excellent goalkeeper whose ability and experience was pivotal to Livingston slithering into the top flight in 2017/18. Our shitfesting team under Duffy was not much different to theirs, except that they had a goalkeeper who earned them a net ten points that season while Gaston hit some poor form for us and chucked too many in the net: including a pivotal, injury time daisy cutter at Almondvale from about 30 yards after we had bossed the entire game.

* see Robinson, Lee
The irony being that Lee Robinson made the play offs that season whearas Morton didnt.

5 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

You lot have had some drought since Main. Fs. As much as I hate Main, he was a cracking keeper. Probably my favourite ever hate figure.

Nah, Mannus was as good as Main (in Mains second spell), and he was first choice for ~7 years.

8 hours ago, virginton said:

Cuthbert was a 'great shot stopper' though, which is what the vast majority of fans at this level consider to be the only metric for the role. See also Raith fans endlessly insisting during the early 2010s that David McGurn was a top flight standard keeper, despite also not being able to kick a ball nor communicate with his back line. There was a reason he had to make so many saves and it wasn't his sheer quality.

Cuthbert was directly competing with Colin 'clownshoes' Stewart for the no. 1 jersey at Morton so his fanboys here at least have a valid 'it could've been much worse' excuse though. 

Did Colin Stewart not win PoTY while at Morton or some such accolade? 

8 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Did Colin Stewart not win PoTY while at Morton or some such accolade? 

He did, and deservedly so, we were rank that year and he was solid in goal. The season after he completely crumbled.

His time is encapsulated in a three second spell v Ross County (I believe). A cross came over from the left and caught out our entire defence (no surprise) and some County player was unmarked at the back post with a gaping net in front of him and he volleyed it into the bottom corner. Somehow Stewart made the distance up across the full goal and got his hand onto the ball and palmed it straight up into the air. Absolute wonder save.

He then got to his feet and tried to collect the ball that was harmlessly falling back to earth, missed it, and kinda chested it back into the goal for an own goal.

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2020 at 19:23, 19QOS19 said:

I really can't recall David Hutton being too bad for us. I'm pretty sure I was sad to see him go. He made an absolute howler for us in the Challenge Cup Final but apart from that he'd be in the decent category for us. 

Robbie McCrorie is probably the best we've had in recent times. Our downward spiral this (last) season coincided with his departure. It highlighted what a good goalkeeper does and it isn't all about saving shots. The guy has a big future in the game and I really hope he leaves The Rangers so I can fully support him :lol:

Worst - Callum Antel or Kris Roberston/Robinson. Can't even mind his name, but he was terrible. Barry John Corr was shite as well but he was clearly a confidence 'keeper and when sections of the support booed when his name was read from the teamsheet, I really don't think he was ever going to do well for us.  

On 21/04/2020 at 12:48, 19QOS19 said:

Corr was the worst type of goalkeeper you want: a confidence one. He showed in glimpses he was capable but his own self doubt appeared to hinder him more. He wasn't great for us but Antell was worse. We've been pretty lucky with GK's, especially when utilising the loan market. 

Missed this earlier. I can go back to the mid 80's in terms of keepers so that's a big pool of selection.

Best: McCrorie is right up there  certainly. He has a chance to make a top career for himself. Only half a season with us though. As you say, we've done well in the loan market at times with Jamie MacDonald and Zander Clark, both of whom did a year and a half here, being big successes too. Cammy Bell was decent in a short loan spell too, though he wasn't universally popular in the way the other three were. Ludovic Roy was really good too but his time here was largely marred by injury.

Alan Davidson was an outstanding keeper in the 80's and 90's and should have played at a higher level. Undisciplined though. Colin Scott was a good keeper too. Lee Robinson in a 2 year spell was very good too, but not so good when he returned.

Worst: The Corr and Antell signings certainly didn't work out. Derek Hoy was an absolute horror show from the 90's too. Kris Robertson was horrific but he was a two game trialist and never signed for us. Probably not fair to even count him. Bryn Halliwell is another that should have worked well but didn't.

Missed this earlier. I can go back to the mid 80's in terms of keepers so that's a big pool of selection.
Best: McCrorie is right up there  certainly. He has a chance to make a top career for himself. Only half a season with us though. As you say, we've done well in the loan market at times with Jamie MacDonald and Zander Clark, both of whom did a year and a half here, being big successes too. Cammy Bell was decent in a short loan spell too, though he wasn't universally popular in the way the other three were. Ludovic Roy was really good too but his time here was largely marred by injury.
Alan Davidson was an outstanding keeper in the 80's and 90's and should have played at a higher level. Undisciplined though. Colin Scott was a good keeper too. Lee Robinson in a 2 year spell was very good too, but not so good when he returned.
Worst: The Corr and Antell signings certainly didn't work out. Derek Hoy was an absolute horror show from the 90's too. Kris Robertson was horrific but he was a two game trialist and never signed for us. Probably not fair to even count him. Bryn Halliwell is another that should have worked well but didn't.
I never particularly liked Halliwell but I remember losing it with an older guy in the Uefa Cup game. The pelters he was giving Halliwell was unbelievable. I don't think I had had confrontation with another supporter before that and I haven't since. So it demonstrates how bad it was. Totally OTT and unwarranted. Maybe it was the occasion that got to me. Queen of The South playing in the Uefa Cup ffs and this guy couldn't help tearing in to a player.