Best & Worst Goalies

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Aye, it was Smiths first game back, he'd been dodgy in the championship but with Barlow being our first choice he was probably going to be OK as backup, Barlow got a bad injury the week before at Tyne Castle in the last minute, Smith came in, lots of support for him because he was renowned as a confidence keeper. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/16334662

Fucking shite. 

That's the fellow.

That final replay is the memory I have, but from even further back, and you could clearly see no yellow shirt near the ball when it changed trajectory towards the net

57 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Also, fucking Peter Enkleman was in goal for St Johnstone and made a big clattering arse that Barrowman nearly scored from first half. 

He done similar against Aberdeen at some later point, but made it to the ball before the striker, sclaffed his clearance and an Aberdeen player trundled one in from about the halfway line, and that was him done at Saints.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

Footage starts about a minute and a half in, first goal is hilarious. 

I was mascot for that game, Jim Leishman returning to save us from the drop, top boy. 

Was annoyed when I heard Dundee were playing a c**t with a bus pass against Raith (title race and all that) but I'm positive Dundee won, or at least didn't lose. 

Big Marko is my favourite ever keeper, use to score bicycle kicks at half time. I preferred him to Stillie tbh. 

The quality of that is horrific but ever Dee needs to watch that and hope that Soutar had money on that because some of the goals a child would keep out. 4 of the worst goals I've ever seen. And whilst he can't be blamed for the 4th (It's a bullet header), if he saved it, people wouldn't exactly be saying it was the save of the season either. Nightmarish.

Always liked Leishman but he was OFTW when he started his football poetry.

We lost - but Geddes stopped it from being a hiding. Pulled off a few cracking saves. One in the top corner being particularly impressive. Season was done so I never went always gutted to have only watched highlights of the game on DeeTV. That was the season Inverness caught us, why were you annoyed? He's a person I wish we had rules like American football because his dead ball skills are exemplary and puts our players to shame in the warm up. @Day of the Lords was he not a pretty rubbish kicker from goal kicks back in the day? 

Why was Ruitenbeek dropped?

He done similar against Aberdeen at some later point, but made it to the ball before the striker, sclaffed his clearance and an Aberdeen player trundled one in from about the halfway line, and that was him done at Saints.

2 weeks after this, we were 1-0 up away to Inverness in the Scottish cup. Inverness down to 10 men, in stoppage time. Chris Smith charged 35 yards out to the ball, tried to punt it out, completely missed the ball and Johnny Hayes walked the ball into the net.

In the replay, we were 1-0 up until Chris Smith attempted to punt the ball clear and hit it off a defender, for Hayes to tap into an empty net. We went on to lose the tie in extra time.

Genuinely the most frustrating keeper I’ve ever seen at the club. Incredibly, he managed something like 15 clean sheets in our 36 first division games in the season before that - although a decent keeper probably would have managed at least 20.

33 minutes ago, CallumPar said:

2 weeks after this, we were 1-0 up away to Inverness in the Scottish cup. Inverness down to 10 men, in stoppage time. Chris Smith charged 35 yards out to the ball, tried to punt it out, completely missed the ball and Johnny Hayes walked the ball into the net.

In the replay, we were 1-0 up until Chris Smith attempted to punt the ball clear and hit it off a defender, for Hayes to tap into an empty net. We went on to lose the tie in extra time.

Genuinely the most frustrating keeper I’ve ever seen at the club. Incredibly, he managed something like 15 clean sheets in our 36 first division games in the season before that - although a decent keeper probably would have managed at least 20.

I was at both those game. An unreal performance from Smith, who there was some doubt over if he actually took money for those performances they were that monumentally shite. 

Best - Cuthburt, Doohan

Descent - Stephen Grindlay, Greg Fleming, Alan Martin 

Average - Craig Samson, David Crawford, Alan Main (yeah, remember him), Greame Smith 

Shite - David Hutton, Jordan Hart, Jack Ruddy and Ally fucking Brown. 

Edited by THEHonestman1910

Cuthbert was a 'great shot stopper' though, which is what the vast majority of fans at this level consider to be the only metric for the role. See also Raith fans endlessly insisting during the early 2010s that David McGurn was a top flight standard keeper, despite also not being able to kick a ball nor communicate with his back line. There was a reason he had to make so many saves and it wasn't his sheer quality.

Cuthbert was directly competing with Colin 'clownshoes' Stewart for the no. 1 jersey at Morton so his fanboys here at least have a valid 'it could've been much worse' excuse though. 

Edited by vikingTON

6 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

@Day of the Lords was he not a pretty rubbish kicker from goal kicks back in the day? 

Aye not the best. Pretty sure his knee injury contributed to that, he just couldn't get a lot of distance from goal kicks and he had quite a unique style for his kicks from hand as well. 

ETA that footage, although grainy as f**k, is quite incredible. I'd forgotten how bad that was. I could swear Dunfermline's players are actually directing shots towards him to increase their chances of scoring than actually trying to find the corners. 

Edited by Day of the Lords

10 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Is that the one where just randomly conceded from a corner for no discernible reason?

I'm sure I went. Corner came in and looked like missing everyone, he comes out and it somehow ended up in the net, can't even remember celebrating properly as had no idea what had happened.

He tried to catch it and parried it into his own net because he was fucking useless.

Guy was £40,000 per annum as well. Awful.

33 minutes ago, virginton said:

Cuthbert was a 'great shot stopper' though, which is what the vast majority of fans at this level consider to be the only metric for the role. See also Raith fans endlessly insisting during the early 2010s that David McGurn was a top flight standard keeper, despite also not being able to kick a ball nor communicate with his back line. There was a reason he had to make so many saves and it wasn't his sheer quality.

Cuthbert was directly competing with Colin 'clownshoes' Stewart for the no. 1 jersey at Morton so his fanboys here at least have a valid 'it could've been much worse' excuse though. 

Cuthbert couldn't displace a 40+ year old Alan Main despite repeated chances (Who then got benched for Chris Smith FFS).

I remember Raith fans on this forum used to assert that Dave McGurn was better than Rab Douglas and this triple save was their proof:

And tbf, it was a cracking triple save but you're 100% correct.

31 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Aye not the best. Pretty sure his knee injury contributed to that, he just couldn't get a lot of distance from goal kicks and he had quite a unique style for his kicks from hand as well. 

ETA that footage, although grainy as f**k, is quite incredible. I'd forgotten how bad that was. I could swear Dunfermline's players are actually directing shots towards him to increase their chances of scoring than actually trying to find the corners. 

Anytime, any fan says that Derek Soutar was 'alright' or 'not that bad' needs to be shown that clip. I've never watched goalkeeping as bad as that. I'm sure he tried to blame the pitch as well.

Edited by Speroni*1

20 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Cuthbert couldn't displace a 40+ year old Alan Main despite repeated chances (Who then got benched for Chris Smith FFS).

You're getting your Smiths mixed up.

Alan Main was replaced, after he helped us get promoted, by Graeme Smith, who had joined us that Summer after a couple of years at Rangers (he'd been a regular for a season at Kilmarnock in the top flight a few years before, not to be confused with the Motherwell Graeme Smith who ended up playing for Partick/Ayr).

Alan Main was still absolutely quality despite his age, fwiw. When we took Rangers to penalties in the Scottish Cup Semi he was unreal. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

You're getting your Smiths mixed up.

Alan Main was replaced, after he helped us get promoted, by Graeme Smith, who had joined us that Summer after a couple of years at Rangers (he'd been a regular for a season at Kilmarnock in the top flight a few years before, not to be confused with the Motherwell Graeme Smith who ended up playing for Partick/Ayr)

The goalkeeping Smiths eh? What they like? Every single one was utter mince.

From when I started watching, basically 13/14 onwards

Good-Ricky Gomes, Derek Gaston, Darren Jamieson, Marc McCallum

Meh-Scott Morrison, David Crawford (Probably be ranked higher if not for injuries), Allan Fleming

Bad-David Hutton, Robbie Mutch

Have left out guys like Darren Hill, Calum Brodie etc who were signed to fill a space on the bench

Just now, Speroni*1 said:

The goalkeeping Smiths eh? What they like? Every single one was utter mince.

I used to get the two Graemes mixed up constantly :lol:

The one we had was pretty good, and more than comfortably a top flight keeper (Peak Main would be far better but he got old).

1 minute ago, Lichtie78 said:

From when I started watching, basically 13/14 onwards

Good-Ricky Gomes, Derek Gaston, Darren Jamieson, Marc McCallum

Meh-Scott Morrison, David Crawford (Probably be ranked higher if not for injuries), Allan Fleming

Bad-David Hutton, Robbie Mutch

Have left out guys like Darren Hill, Calum Brodie etc who were signed to fill a space on the bench

Darren Hill made over 100 league appearances for you lot, did he not?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I used to get the two Graemes mixed up constantly :lol:

The one we had was pretty good, and more than comfortably a top flight keeper (Peak Main would be far better but he got old).

Nostalgia is getting to you. Smith was shite - and the fact he was your first replacement for Main is a shocker! His career since justifies it. His season as St Johnstone number one was his peak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Smith_(footballer,_born_1982)

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

Nostalgia is getting to you. Smith was shite - and the fact he was your first replacement for Main is a shocker! His career since justifies it. His season as St Johnstone number one was his peak:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Smith_(footballer,_born_1982)

He was definitely decent for us. Peter Enckleman came in and was far better, but hes one of the best keepers we've had after Main and Mannus in my lifetime (apart from the odd complete howler) so no shame in losing your spot to him.

Darren Hill made over 100 league appearances for you lot, did he not?

Aye but the large majority came before I started going to games properly, so only took into account his second spell where he played a few league/challenge cup games and one league game once the league was wrapped up.