Best & Worst Goalies

49 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Some of the worst we've came up against include Derek Soutar and a guy at Livi around 2000, Dave McKeowen? McKenzie? 

Dave McEwan.

There used to be highlights of the game Dunfermline won 5-0 in 2005. Can't find them anywhere. Worst goalkeeping performance I've ever witnessed in professional football from Derek Soutar.

16 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Dave McEwan.

There used to be highlights of the game Dunfermline won 5-0 in 2005. Can't find them anywhere. Worst goalkeeping performance I've ever witnessed in professional football from Derek Soutar.

A fine, fine game. Enjoyed it immensely. Big crowd in as well, with a large travelling support as well.

Soutar made a clattering arse of at least a couple of the goals from what I recall. A rare Derek Young hattrick was had.

Can't find footage of either, but this match report notes Soutar's blunders;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4521591.stm

Best- Craig Nelson, Ludovic Roy, Kevin Cuthbert, Alan Martin, Ross Doohan

Meh- David Crawford, Graeme Smith, Craig Samson Greg Fleming (if it wasn’t for his penalty heroics I think he’d be in worst)

Worst- Barry John Corr, Ally Brown, David Hutton, Jordan Hart, Jack Ruddy

It's an absolute shocker that Alex Rae deemed Craig Samson a superior keeper to Ludovic Roy. I've mentioned before that's what inspired my username, but I genuinely believe we might have pipped Hamilton to the league title if it were not for Samson's ridiculous mistakes.

Twice that season he dallied on the ball too long and booted it off a player and into his own net.

Also, put in a horrendous performance against QotS at home in a game we were beaten 2-3. Colin McMenamin's debut.

A fine, fine game. Enjoyed it immensely. Big crowd in as well, with a large travelling support as well.
Soutar made a clattering arse of at least a couple of the goals from what I recall. A rare Derek Young hattrick was had.
Can't find footage of either, but this match report notes Soutar's blunders;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/4521591.stm
We also got a goal chalked off that wasnt even a foul on him.

9 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

Best: Alan Rough, Craig Nelson, Nicky Walker, and Tomas Cerny.

Shite: Cammy Bell, Colin Stewart, Thomas Stuckmann, David Klein, Gary Gow, Graeme Smith, Jakup Mikkelson

Meh: Kenny Arthur, Johnny Tuffey, Scott Fox, Paul Gallagher, Kevin Budd, John Brough, Archie MacLean, Jamie Langfield, Jamie Sneddon and Andy Murdoch

Shamelessly c&p'd from the Premiership thread so some of the 'meh' were fine at Championship or the level below. 

Julian Speroni. Small in stature, big in heart. Couldn't kick a ball. Excellent. 

Robert Douglas. Man mountain, pus punching brickie lunatic. Couldn't kick a ball. Terrific throwin' ability. Great guy. Excellent. 

Scott Bain. First season was unreal then became too big for his boots. Still had some great performances. All round - good for Dundee. 

The rest are just a conveyor of shite to middlin. Don't deserve mentioned by name or remembered in any way. 

Edited by Dele

In my time supporting United - 

Best - Dijkstra, Pernis, Szamotulski, Weaver, Zaluska 

Solid Enough - Gallacher, Combe, Cierzniak, Maxwell, Siegrist, Bullock

Meh - Bell (hattrick penalty save apart) 

The absolute worst - Szromnik, Key, Zwick, Rakovan, Stillie

Edited by stumigoo

12 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

It's an absolute shocker that Alex Rae deemed Craig Samson a superior keeper to Ludovic Roy. I've mentioned before that's what inspired my username, but I genuinely believe we might have pipped Hamilton to the league title if it were not for Samson's ridiculous mistakes.

Twice that season he dallied on the ball too long and booted it off a player and into his own net.

Also, put in a horrendous performance against QotS at home in a game we were beaten 2-3. Colin McMenamin's debut.

Didn't he also duff an attempted clearance about 30 yards straight to an opposition striker under absolutely no pressure whatsoever? He was an absolute bag of nerves that season.

1 hour ago, stumigoo said:

In my time supporting United - 

Best - Dijkstra, Pernis, Szamotulski, Weaver, Zaluska 

Solid Enough - Gallacher, Combe, Cierzniak, Maxwell, Siegrist, Bullock

Meh - Bell (hattrick penalty save apart) 

The absolute worst - Szromnik, Key, Zwick, Rakovan, Stillie

You forgot Kawashima, who could easily fit into the top or bottom categories depending on what he had for breakfast that day. Often both in the same game.

Nicky Weaver and Szamotulski were great, but at that point we seemed to be in a bizarre position where we would sign a brilliant keeper that we couldn't get for another six months, so we'd sign someone even better in the interim, the release them.

32 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

You forgot Kawashima, who could easily fit into the top or bottom categories depending on what he had for breakfast that day. Often both in the same game.

Nicky Weaver and Szamotulski were great, but at that point we seemed to be in a bizarre position where we would sign a brilliant keeper that we couldn't get for another six months, so we'd sign someone even better in the interim, the release them.

I'd like to think that if he had signed under different circumstances he would have been a decent keeper for us, to have the career he has had he obviously has the talent. The relegation battle, being badly caught out in the first game against Dundee, the shitshow at the club and the work permit issues all contributing to a rubbish time at Tannadice. 

32 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I'd like to think that if he had signed under different circumstances he would have been a decent keeper for us, to have the career he has had he obviously has the talent. The relegation battle, being badly caught out in the first game against Dundee, the shitshow at the club and the work permit issues all contributing to a rubbish time at Tannadice. 

Agreed.

TBH he was the only reason we got as far as Dens.

Best - Craig Nelson, Nicky Walker, Tomas Cerny and Paul Gallagher.

Meh - Scott Fox, Kenny Arthur, Mark Cairns, Andy Murdoch, Johnny Tuffey, Kevin Bud and David Crawford.

Worst - David Klein, Colin Stewart, Bryn Halliwell, Stuckmann, Jacob Mikkelson, Ryan Scully and Cammy Bell.

21 hours ago, Nightmare said:

Totally forgot about him. Yuck, straight in the “shite” category.

You remembered all the ones I did plus a few more. Can’t be many more left. Bizarrely I’ve just remembered we had Stephen Pinkowski in the squad in one of the football videogames of the time, but no idea if he ever started a game for us.

He came on as a sub early on in Scottish Cup tie at Cappielow after Kenny Arthur got injured. Morton were flying in the old Second Division, we were bottom of the SPL. Pinkowski played a blinder and we coasted it 3-0. Then the Morton players went to the bookies.