Best & Worst Goalies

Just now, Day of the Lords said:
4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
Had forgotten about him.
A quick wiki suggests he made his first start in October 2004 and was released in January 2005. Some effort.

Was it Paul Jarvie who lost a derby in the last minute by letting a duffed shot under his body?

Yes

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:
4 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:
Had forgotten about him.
A quick wiki suggests he made his first start in October 2004 and was released in January 2005. Some effort.

Was it Paul Jarvie who lost a derby in the last minute by letting a duffed shot under his body?

We were at Hospo in Montrose (they had Peterhead) and my mate shouted about that at him. Jarvie shouted back "Aw don't mate. I think about it everyday." 

Sap. 

Best

The late Cammy Duncan, Ludo Roy, George Watson, Craig Nelson (eventually) Finnbogason, Cuthbert and Doohan. 

Dreadful but only played a handful of games

Corr, Ruddy, Knudsen, Cherry, Gill

Worst and were club number one 

Hillcoat, Brown, Hart, Crawford

Edited by diegomarahenry

On 18/04/2020 at 15:11, Day of the Lords said:

Best: Geddes (by some distance), Douglas, Speroni, Tam Carson (only if we're counting derbies)

Meh: Bain, Langfield, Mathers, Simonsen

Worst: Kelvin Jack, Jack Hamilton, Marco Roccatti, Derek Soutar, Jim Leighton.

If we factor in cost then Roccatti would be in a new "Get in the fucking sea" category. A genuinely terrible keeper who instilled zero confidence in anyone watching him. He cost over a million iirc and marked his debut but making an arse of a spectacular arse of a passback against Hibs. Langfield almost made it into the Worst category, but he was decent as a youngster. Before we sold him he was a back up keeper, but he gave me the fear, particularly after seeing him warming up before a Tannadice derby when he fumbled about three consecutive unchallenged crosses from the GK Coach. Most Dees will remember Soutar's complete clusterfuck of a performance in THAT Dunfermline game. Awful awful stuff. Jim Leighton was signed for about £250,000 from Man United, and initially was superb. However mistakes crept in and his confidence completely evaporated, the lowlights being a frankly hilarious performance in a 6-3 gubbing off Partick and falling on his arse as a completely mishit Mark Hateley free kick almost apologetically trundled past him. Obvs we punted him to Hibs where he was brilliant for some considerable time. 

On the more positive side, Bobby Geddes was an absolute legend of a keeper, and spent much of his career playing with a fucked knee. One of his best games was in a 3-1 win at Tannadice in 1987, where he pulled off at least three ridiculous saves. He saved points for us on more occasions than I could possibly remember. Big Rab was brilliant also, a real "siege" keeper. I think he struggled at Celtic because he'd spend large parts of games watching his team mates piss all over the opposition and lose concentration. Speroni was a total contrast to Roccatti and a brilliant signing, one of the real highlights of the eventually disastrous Bonnetti era. Finally Big Tam Carson was a total enigma. He rarely got a game, usually only when Geddes was injured. He played a few times against the DABs and was absolutely inspired in almost every game, unfortunately he was pretty average against everyone else. 

For a guy with a knackered knee Geddes had a lengthy career, even winning a Junior Cup in his 40s!

Carson went on loan to Hibs for a couple of games in1987. Seem to recall he was shite but Hibs were fairly shite then anyway.

On 18/04/2020 at 15:52, The Gypsy King said:

ETA - I also forgot about Alan Martin. He was a pretty decent keeper. 

Martin is one of 7 keepers Edinburgh City had during 2019-20. Only played a few games before emigrating apparently but got his own song:

"ALAN MARTIN-HE HATES THE SPARTANS"

Can't beat a bit of petty rhyming rivalry!

2 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Best

The late Cammy Duncan, Ludo Roy, George Watson, Craig Nelson (eventually) Finnbogason, Cuthbert and Doohan. 

Dreadful but only played a handful of games

Corr, Ruddy, Knudsen, Cherry, Gill

Worst and were club number one 

Hillcoat, Brown, Hart, Crawford

Didn't Hillcoat have some sort of bustup with fans at an away game and slag us in his column?

I think he apologised in his column a few weeks later, before saying something about it taking a big man to apologise therefore making him "a big man".

3 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

Martin is one of 7 keepers Edinburgh City had during 2019-20. Only played a few games before emigrating apparently but got his own song:

"ALAN MARTIN-HE HATES THE SPARTANS"

Can't beat a bit of petty rhyming rivalry!

I googled him and he's playing for Global FC in the Philippines. 

Excellent - Jim Calder, Dean Brill, Ryan Esson, Mark Brown (people forget how good he was for us)

Good - Mark Ridgers, Antonio Reguero

Alright - Jonny Tuffey (Didn't play that often but still didn't look as he did at Partick Thistle), Owain Fon Williams (when fit)

Rubbish - Les Fridge, Michael Fraser, Zibi Malkowski (only played against Gretna and in a comedy of errors defeat against Aberdeen), Nicky Walker (was good for Ross County as I recall, but didn't really do it for us)

Edited by Highland Capital

In 25 years The Caley haven't had that many keepers as, more often than not, we've got it right in that department and they've stayed with us for ages. 

The only poor ones I can remember were Michael Fraser and Zibi Malkowski, and even in the latter's debut against Gretna, he looked solid. 

Guys like Jim Calder, Mark Brown and Mark Ridgers have been excellent. 

Tuffey disappointed me, not due to his ability, but just because he didn't get the chance to show how undoubtedly good he was. 

2 hours ago, The Gypsy King said:

Didn't Hillcoat have some sort of bustup with fans at an away game and slag us in his column?

I think he apologised in his column a few weeks later, before saying something about it taking a big man to apologise therefore making him "a big man".

Aye, he was dreadful, I remember him shipping five or six against Alloa, He would dive theatrically near a goalbound effort but for some reason, not at. 

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Aye, he was dreadful, I remember him shipping five or six against Alloa, He would dive theatrically near a goalbound effort but for some reason, not at. 

At least he dived. David Hutton would wait to the ball was past him before diving. 

20 hours ago, stumigoo said:

In my time supporting United - 

Best - Dijkstra, Pernis, Szamotulski, Weaver, Zaluska 

Solid Enough - Gallacher, Combe, Cierzniak, Maxwell, Siegrist, Bullock

Meh - Bell (hattrick penalty save apart) 

The absolute worst - Szromnik, Key, Zwick, Rakovan, Stillie

Harry Lewis?

Harry Lewis?

Oh yeah.

File him under ‘meh’, although his biggest issue was not necessarily ability but being mismanaged by McKinnon (shock). He started playing poorly, was in desperate need of a rest but we persisted with him.

Also file Mehmet under ‘meh’ too. One or two very good displays but hasn’t played enough to make a proper judgement.

Good - Nelson, castilla,cuthbert,doohan, Roy,Henry smith

Not that good- Greg Fleming,Samson, grindley 

Shite- ruddy, Hart,Hutton,ruddy again because he thought he was too good too be in goals for ayr utd and reckoned because he played with wolves he was a superstar. w**k

On 18/04/2020 at 19:31, Speroni*1 said:

It's an absolute shocker that Alex Rae deemed Craig Samson a superior keeper to Ludovic Roy. I've mentioned before that's what inspired my username, but I genuinely believe we might have pipped Hamilton to the league title if it were not for Samson's ridiculous mistakes.

Twice that season he dallied on the ball too long and booted it off a player and into his own net.

Also, put in a horrendous performance against QotS at home in a game we were beaten 2-3. Colin McMenamin's debut.

Ludo was one of the most consistent 'keepers I remember at Dundee. There was definitely a couple of mistakes but compared to everyone else, I really don't remember many, I think he's probably a bit unfortunate to have not played at a higher level when you see someone like Samson having made a good career for himself. Also he seemed to get injured at bad times of the season and that was the rationale Rae used to play Samson. For us, the stars aligned for us to re-sign Rab but otherwise I don't think we'd have needed to urgently act on that position.

I similarly thought Bullock was quite good for us. Again though, he wasn't getting ahead of his competition (although he played around half a season with Rab injured) but never really felt like he had many mistakes in him, despite the reputation he seems to have elsewhere. There were some games I remember him being really good at and I think he won league POTM and a fair few MOTM awards at Dens. He seems to have pissed off a lot of people in football though and had his whole thing of the 'f**k the dee' top a week or so after leaving the club.

20 hours ago, TheScarf said:

The only poor ones I can remember were Michael Fraser and Zibi Malkowski, and even in the latter's debut against Gretna, he looked solid. 

Tuffey disappointed me, not due to his ability, but just because he didn't get the chance to show how undoubtedly good he was. 

Zibi only played against Gretna as I recall so didn't have too much to deal with.  The only game he was really tested was a home defeat to Aberdeen where he was awful, let a rather tame shot roll past him into the net for some reason and forgot how to kick the ball properly.

Tuffey was excellent for Partick Thistle but even when he did play never looked quite as solid for us.  Perhaps he would've rekindled his form had he been our first choice, but Esson was at his peak at that point and had been excellent over the last couple of seasons. 

I really can't recall David Hutton being too bad for us. I'm pretty sure I was sad to see him go. He made an absolute howler for us in the Challenge Cup Final but apart from that he'd be in the decent category for us. 

Robbie McCrorie is probably the best we've had in recent times. Our downward spiral this (last) season coincided with his departure. It highlighted what a good goalkeeper does and it isn't all about saving shots. The guy has a big future in the game and I really hope he leaves The Rangers so I can fully support him :lol:

Worst - Callum Antel or Kris Roberston/Robinson. Can't even mind his name, but he was terrible. Barry John Corr was shite as well but he was clearly a confidence 'keeper and when sections of the support booed when his name was read from the teamsheet, I really don't think he was ever going to do well for us.