Best & Worst Goalies

Shamelessly stolen from the Premiership forum.

Best - Nelson, Cuthbert, Doohan, Roy, Fleming

Worst - Brown, Hillcoat, Cherrie, Barry John Corr, Hutton

Decent - McGeown, Grindlay, Dodds, Crawford, Smith, Martin

Bombscare - Hart, Ruddy, Rovde, Samson

Edited by The Gypsy King

Hutton will feature for every club he's turned out for. Astonishing that he's had so many.

Worst - David Hutton, Chris Smith, Scott Thomson (@Stellaboz)

Best - Dorus De Vries, Allan McGregor, Ian Westwater, Marco Ruitenbeek, Paul Gallagher

Edited by DA Baracus

Best - Rab Douglas, Julian Speroni, Michel Pageau

Meh - Ludovic Roy, Scott Bain (In with the best for his first season, in with the worst for the rest of his spell so averages out), Jamie Langfield, Kyle Letheren, Steve Simonsen, Conor Hazard, Elliot Parish, Scott Murray, Tony Bullock, Billy Thomson, Scott Fox

Worst - Jack Hamilton, Kelvin Jack, Marco Rocatti, Derek Soutar & Craig Samson.

Only including players that had a regular stint in goal so not including the likes of Schenk etc. If I've not included them in the list then sage to say they're that 'meh' they've been forgotten about.

The meh list isn't all equal. Some extremely more meh than others.

The Morton forum had been running a worst players of the 2010s poll in every position and Hutton didn't get a single vote. Grant Adam and Andy McNeil in particular were also not as bad as their reputation suggested while at Cappielow.

Sam Ramsbottom was the runaway choice for worst goalkeeper given his parade of inexplicable howlers throughout this season. I don't think he would get a game for any team in the entire SPFL as he has been hopelessly out of his depth. Ryan Scully is also an abysmal clownshoes figure whose departure and replacement with Robbie McCrorie in January 2019 played a key role in steering us away from danger last season. Nicholas Caraux from the 13-14 was dung everywhere apart from when we buried Celtic on their own midden. From an earlier period Stefan Gonet was a beta version of Ramsbottom when we were in the seaside leagues though only had to play as a backup for a few games.

Our best goalkeepers in the Rae era are probably two of the most recent ones in McCrorie and Rogers this season. Gaston did a lot for the club over the years but held us back from the play off spots towards the end of his time here - he's a solid Championship keeper but no more than that.

Greg Fleming is one of the better keepers we’ve had but I’d still fire him in the meh category. His penalty heroics aside I think he was fairly average and had a fair amount of blunders to his name.

Cuthbert and Doohan are the best ones I’ve seen. And Hutton and Ruddy are the two worst I’ve seen. Barry John Corr was also shite but I think he only played a handful of matches.

Best: Geddes (by some distance), Douglas, Speroni, Tam Carson (only if we're counting derbies)

Meh: Bain, Langfield, Mathers, Simonsen

Worst: Kelvin Jack, Jack Hamilton, Marco Roccatti, Derek Soutar, Jim Leighton.

If we factor in cost then Roccatti would be in a new "Get in the fucking sea" category. A genuinely terrible keeper who instilled zero confidence in anyone watching him. He cost over a million iirc and marked his debut but making an arse of a spectacular arse of a passback against Hibs. Langfield almost made it into the Worst category, but he was decent as a youngster. Before we sold him he was a back up keeper, but he gave me the fear, particularly after seeing him warming up before a Tannadice derby when he fumbled about three consecutive unchallenged crosses from the GK Coach. Most Dees will remember Soutar's complete clusterfuck of a performance in THAT Dunfermline game. Awful awful stuff. Jim Leighton was signed for about £250,000 from Man United, and initially was superb. However mistakes crept in and his confidence completely evaporated, the lowlights being a frankly hilarious performance in a 6-3 gubbing off Partick and falling on his arse as a completely mishit Mark Hateley free kick almost apologetically trundled past him. Obvs we punted him to Hibs where he was brilliant for some considerable time. 

On the more positive side, Bobby Geddes was an absolute legend of a keeper, and spent much of his career playing with a fucked knee. One of his best games was in a 3-1 win at Tannadice in 1987, where he pulled off at least three ridiculous saves. He saved points for us on more occasions than I could possibly remember. Big Rab was brilliant also, a real "siege" keeper. I think he struggled at Celtic because he'd spend large parts of games watching his team mates piss all over the opposition and lose concentration. Speroni was a total contrast to Roccatti and a brilliant signing, one of the real highlights of the eventually disastrous Bonnetti era. Finally Big Tam Carson was a total enigma. He rarely got a game, usually only when Geddes was injured. He played a few times against the DABs and was absolutely inspired in almost every game, unfortunately he was pretty average against everyone else. 

1 hour ago, The Gypsy King said:

Shamelessly stolen from the Premiership forum.

Best - Nelson, Cuthbert, Doohan, Roy, Fleming

Worst - Brown, Hillcoat, Cherrie, Ruddy, Hutton

Meh - McGeown, Grindlay, Samson, Hart, Dodds, Rovde.

Fleming should be in the ‘Meh’ category on account of him shitting the bed whenever a cross came into the box (that 4-4 game against Dumbarton still haunts me). His penalty record was absolutely incredible though, I remember one penalty shootout where I was mildly disappointed he only made two saves because I was so used to none making it past him.

I’d say Jordan Hart is lucky not to be in ‘Worst’. I don’t think he was hugely better than Ruddy, Ruddy’s mistakes were just more comical and he wasn’t helped by being a dick which looked like it led to him having absolutely no relationship with the rest of the team.

I think Graeme Smith who’s been missed out could probably be included in ‘Best’ even though he was only here for half a season (f**k knows why we let him go to replace him with David Hutton). He probably saved us being dragged into a relegation battle that season and the difference between him and Ally fucking Brown was night and day.

Special mention for David Hutton furiously booting the ball at the goalscorer after every goal. Almost always went unnoticed but on the odd time anyone confronted him over it he shat himself. A very angry man.

9 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Fleming should be in the ‘Meh’ category on account of him shitting the bed whenever a cross came into the box (that 4-4 game against Dumbarton still haunts me). His penalty record was absolutely incredible though, I remember one penalty shootout where I was mildly disappointed he only made two saves because I was so used to none making it past him.

I’d say Jordan Hart is lucky not to be in ‘Worst’. I don’t think he was hugely better than Ruddy, Ruddy’s mistakes were just more comical and he wasn’t helped by being a dick which looked like it led to him having absolutely no relationship with the rest of the team.

I think Graeme Smith who’s been missed out could probably be included in ‘Best’ even though he was only here for half a season (f**k knows why we let him go to replace him with David Hutton). He probably saved us being dragged into a relegation battle that season and the difference between him and Ally fucking Brown was night and day.

Special mention for David Hutton furiously booting the ball at the goalscorer after every goal. Almost always went unnoticed but on the odd time anyone confronted him over it he shat himself. A very angry man.

I forgot about Smith. And Crawford. And Barry John Corr.

1 hour ago, The Gypsy King said:

Meh - McGeown, Grindlay, Samson, Hart, Dodds, Rovde.

Coincidentally, I was talking to a work colleague yesterday who was very interested to hear about Mr and Mrs McG's exploits on The Price Is Right and National Lottery Jet Set.

Just now, The Gypsy King said:

I forgot about Smith. And Crawford. And Barry John Corr.

Just remembered about David Crawford there, think he can go into ‘Meh’ - don’t think he was anything special but I don’t remember him being particularly bad either. Alan Martin is another one who was solid when he was with us so can probably go into ‘Best’, although he was still nowhere near as good as the Dumbarton fans claimed he was years later - they seemed to think he was some sort of Lev Yashin type.

I’m fortunately a bit too young to properly remember Barry John Corr so if anyone can regale me with the tale of him selling 4 goals before leaving the ground at half time it’d be appreciated.

27 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Just remembered about David Crawford there, think he can go into ‘Meh’ - don’t think he was anything special but I don’t remember him being particularly bad either. Alan Martin is another one who was solid when he was with us so can probably go into ‘Best’, although he was still nowhere near as good as the Dumbarton fans claimed he was years later - they seemed to think he was some sort of Lev Yashin type.

I’m fortunately a bit too young to properly remember Barry John Corr so if anyone can regale me with the tale of him selling 4 goals before leaving the ground at half time it’d be appreciated.

My own memory might be pretty sketchy (it was nearly 13 years ago) , but if I'm wrong at any point people can feel free to correct me.

Corr shipped three perfectly saveable goals in the first half against Ross County in 2007 - the other goal was a good finish to be fair. Anyhow, we were 4-0 down after about half an hour.

He was getting absolute pelters from the Somerset Road end - who were ironically cheering everytime he made a save and chanting Mark McGeown's name.

He was in tears on the pitch and was subbed at halftime and left the club soon after.

Ayr played a lot better in the second half and pulled a goal back through Alex Williams, but the damage was done.

I also think that might have been Neil Watt's last game as well. He was replaced by Brian Reid, who had been caretaker manager (along with Mark McGeown) prior to Watt's appointment. 

ETA - I also forgot about Alan Martin. He was a pretty decent keeper. We got Cuthbert to replace him though - who was much better.

Edited by The Gypsy King

Best: Paul Gallacher, Allan McGregor, Sean Murdoch,

Worst: Mikey Hrivnak, Chris Smith, David Hutton

Decent: Owain Fon-Williams, Dorus De Vries, Greg Fleming, Marco Ruitenbeek, Derek Stillie

Bombscare: Lee Robinson, Cammy Gill, Scully mk II

I’ve been a Jags fan for over 20 years and the vast majority of my time as a fan have seen us feature one of Kenny Arthur, Jonny Tuffey, Scott Fox or Tomas Cerny in goals. There have been plenty of pishy stop gaps in between but thankfully none of them were ever more than plugging a gap for a few games.

Tam Cerny is far and away the best keeper I’ve seen at the club: a great stopper and also a world class windup merchant who regularly had opposition fans frothing at the mouth. Best I’ve seen at this level for us would be Jonny Tuffey. A very good keeper for us and it seemed a waste that he left to sit on the bench behind Ryan Esson at ICT.

Good - Tomas Cerny, Jonny Tuffey, Paul Gallacher (for a very limited time)
Meh - Kenny Arthur, Scott Fox, Jamie Sneddon (hopefully we punt Fox & he gets a chance next year)
Shite - Colin Stewart, Bryn Halliwell, Graeme Smith, Ryan Scully, Thorsten Stuckmann, Conor Hazard

I know I’ve missed a few stop gap types from the early 2000s, can’t remember the likes of Budinauckas and Mikkelsen too well.

I’ve been a Jags fan for over 20 years and the vast majority of my time as a fan have seen us feature one of Kenny Arthur, Jonny Tuffey, Scott Fox or Tomas Cerny in goals. There have been plenty of pishy stop gaps in between but thankfully none of them were ever more than plugging a gap for a few games.
Tam Cerny is far and away the best keeper I’ve seen at the club: a great stopper and also a world class windup merchant who regularly had opposition fans frothing at the mouth. Best I’ve seen at this level for us would be Jonny Tuffey. A very good keeper for us and it seemed a waste that he left to sit on the bench behind Ryan Esson at ICT.
Good - Tomas Cerny, Jonny Tuffey, Paul Gallacher (for a very limited time)
Meh - Kenny Arthur, Scott Fox, Jamie Sneddon (hopefully we punt Fox & he gets a chance next year)
Shite - Colin Stewart, Bryn Halliwell, Graeme Smith, Ryan Scully, Thorsten Stuckmann, Conor Hazard
I know I’ve missed a few stop gap types from the early 2000s, can’t remember the likes of Budinauckas and Mikkelsen too well.

Pretty much this, but I’d add a “total charlatan” category and stick Cammy Bell in there.

Best: Tomas Cerny, Kenny Arhur, Jonny Tuffey
Decent: Scott Fox (first time), Paul Gallacher
Meh: Jamie Sneddon, Scott Fox (second time), Kevin Bud, Connor Hazard, Craig Hinchcliffe, Jamie Langfield
Shite: Ryan Scully, Jakub Mikkelsen, Thorsten Stuckmann, Mark Ridgers, Bryan Halliwell, Graeme Smith

No doubt missed a few.

4 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Pretty much this, but I’d add a “total charlatan” category and stick Cammy Bell in there.

Totally forgot about him. Yuck, straight in the “shite” category.

4 minutes ago, Reid said:

Best: Tomas Cerny, Kenny Arhur, Jonny Tuffey
Decent: Scott Fox (first time), Paul Gallacher
Meh: Jamie Sneddon, Scott Fox (second time), Kevin Bud, Connor Hazard, Craig Hinchcliffe, Jamie Langfield
Shite: Ryan Scully, Jakub Mikkelsen, Thorsten Stuckmann, Mark Ridgers, Bryan Halliwell, Graeme Smith

No doubt missed a few.

You remembered all the ones I did plus a few more. Can’t be many more left. Bizarrely I’ve just remembered we had Stephen Pinkowski in the squad in one of the football videogames of the time, but no idea if he ever started a game for us.

Edited by Nightmare

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Totally forgot about him. Yuck, straight in the “shite” category.

You remembered all the ones I did plus a few more. Can’t be many more left. Bizarrely I’ve just remembered we had Stephen Pinkowski in the squad in one of the football videogames of the time, but no idea if he ever started a game for us.

He made one appearance according to this:

https://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=31863

3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Hutton will feature for every club he's turned out for. Astonishing that he's had so many.

Worst - David Hutton, Chris Smith, Scott Thomson (@Stellaboz)

Best - Dorus De Vries, Allan McGregor, Ian Westwater, Marco Ruitenbeek, Paul Gallagher

Worst definitely includes Hutton, Smith and Scott Y Thomson, absolute shite shite shite. Add to this list Roddy McKenzie, Zoran Lemajic and Bryn Haliwell. The latter should never, ever have had any sort of career as a goalkeeper, absolute fraud of a c**t.