Best and Worst Goalies in your teams - ever

Used to hear it claimed that Frank Swift played for Hamilton Accies as a guest player during WWII so he would probably be the best. Think there was a goalie called McLean who threw the ball into his own net in the early 70s who might be up there for the worst.
McLean was a great keeper! Although he did throw the ball in his own net once!

For me it’s impossible to pick a best between Jim Leighton and Theo Snelders.

Due to him ruining any slight chance we had of winning the league in 2015/16, it has to be Scott Brown (the name doesn’t help either).

Saving a penalty against Celtic in the League Cup semi and being a cup winning goalkeeper gives him hero status.

Still not a great keeper, right enough.

Lee Sharp scored a corner for Arthurlie at Newlandsfield, and Robertson pretty much lost the plot in that game after that.
Best for me would be Money or Hladky, I really don't get the love in Saints fans have for Samson.

As a Rangers fan, likely Goram, Woods, Klos, McGregor for top four. Worst? There were some dreadful fill ins but in comparison to what he was playing alongside, Ally Maxwell was not on the level... there were maybe worse players but not in the team or that era. And I always blamed him for losing the treble in 94 with that stupid error against Dundee Utd

On 19/04/2020 at 11:25, mathematics said:

Colin Meldrum was far far better than Chad Harper, Craig Samson, Damien Rascale...

Melly ruined my night in Nice with a truly woeful performance. He was like a cat in the headlights. Lekovic was injured but was on the bench and did a full warm up in anticipation of coming on. Sadly he did not.

I agree that Meldrum was better than Harper, Samson and Rascale. Controversially, I would also contend that he was better than this this season’s 2 imposters, Branescu and Koprivek. Scottish goalies must be rank rotten if this pair are the best we can muster.

On 21/04/2020 at 09:24, Blaze said:

Saving a penalty against Celtic in the League Cup semi and being a cup winning goalkeeper gives him hero status.

Still not a great keeper, right enough.

Samson was a perfectly adequate keeper for St Mirren who won a cup and won a league. He obviously wasn't as good a keeper as someone like Hladky or Money, but he had his time and he did a job. I don't really give a f**k what he did at Kilmarnock or Motherwell or wherever, he clearly did enough in a Saints jersey to deserve the reputation he has amongst our support.

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

Samson was a perfectly adequate keeper for St Mirren who won a cup and won a league. He obviously wasn't as good a keeper as someone like Hladky or Money, but he had his time and he did a job. I don't really give a f**k what he did at Kilmarnock or Motherwell or wherever, he clearly did enough in a Saints jersey to deserve the reputation he has amongst our support.

Think he also holds our shutout record.  He was a more than capable keeper for us. 

On 20/04/2020 at 20:08, NFL12 said:

I seem to remember  getting beaten 6 - 1 around the same time as game above, from St Mirren I think. I remember Jim Brown being in goals then as well. Might be completely wrong as it was long while ago. Still haunts me though.

I was at the Rangers game (I am standing behind the goals they scored 5 goals into) and went on holiday the next day returning the day before the St Mirren game which I went to.  From memory Jimmy Bone ran the game.    Jim Clunie (nae clue) was the St Mirren manager at the time. 

I also went to Parkhead 3 weeks later and saw us humped by them after Gordon Crammond scored for us first. 

That season proved why Allan McCulloch was such a great keeper for us, as IMO he had kept us up the season before, and he was badly injured the week before the Rangers game when we lost 2-0 to Morton.  

The Good:
Steve Hutchison
Tony Bullock
Graeme Smith (turned out he was awful everywhere else)
Nicky Walker
Scott Fox
Michael McGovern (shocked they didn’t try harder to keep him)

The God Awful
Dave Cormack
Allan Creer
Kevin Morgan (5ft 7)
Barry Thompson
Stuart Garden
Craig Samson
Colin Stewart
Ramiro Gonzalez (he was fun to watch, but awful)

The Meh:
Colin Meldrum
That Italian Bloke
Michael Fraser
Mark Brown
Gary Hamilton

On 18/04/2020 at 16:29, AFCDannyFTH said:

Notable mentions go to David Gonzalez who seemed to dive away from every shot, And Adam Collin who looked like a deer caught in headlights every time the ball came near him.

Gonzalez was a strange one. He never made any glaring errors, but never saved anything. Any decent shot on target was a goal. Stuart Nelson was another one from that period. I can only remember him playing a couple of times, but he was absolutely awful.

Who was the guy Dunfermline had when they were in the premier League last? He was the worst keeper I've ever seen.

19 minutes ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Gonzalez was a strange one. He never made any glaring errors, but never saved anything. Any decent shot on target was a goal. Stuart Nelson was another one from that period. I can only remember him playing a couple of times, but he was absolutely awful.

Who was the guy Dunfermline had when they were in the premier League last? He was the worst keeper I've ever seen.

Chris Smith.  I’ve seen worse but he was a big confidence player and he completely fell apart. Should have just been a reserve but Gallacher got injured and we were stuck with him.