Best and Worst Goalies in your teams - ever

St Johnstone fan makes passing comment about Aberdeen goalkeeper, in thread about goalkeepers = St Johnstone fans obsessed with Aberdeen, so embarrassing. 

Aberdeen fans create, and regularly sing, song about St Johnstone player = Definitely not obsessed, and definitely not embarrassing. 

On 18/04/2020 at 20:12, craigkillie said:

He had a few good games for Motherwell, awful for us.

He had one good game against Rangers and was otherwise completely pish and got catapulted out the club at the end of the season.

Genuinely considered putting him as my worst choice.

On 18/04/2020 at 16:43, 18May1991 said:

Worst: Mikko Karen in with a shout? Stevie Woods and Graeme Smith as well well consistently poor. 
Agree with Randolph as the best. 

I was looking through old tapes of that era and I was surprised at Mikko Kaven given he has gone down in history as representative of the whole Kampman era.  Looked much better in the old highlights than his 'legend'.  Didn't play that many games and I don't really have a strong memory of him either way which perhaps is a clue.

Stevie Woods was hugely frustrating because he had excellent parts to his game.  Good shot stopper, had a excellent penalty saving record if I remember correctly but he was absolutely hopeless on crosses and just didn't command his box and it being the 1990's that was a much bigger part of the game than it is now.  He also came after and was succeeded by some absolutely top notch keepers.  Ally Maxwell, Sieb Dykstra, Billy Thomson, Scott Howie, Andy Goram etc which I think wasn't to his benefit.  He'd be in my bottom half and I wasn't a fan at the time but I don't think he was the worst.

Graeme Smith I had obviously completely repressed and I'm going to change my answer.  Decent first season and then went to complete shit.  In terms of shiteness-to-games-played he must surpass all other challengers.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

It seems to be all sugar or all shite when it comes to 'keepers for us. I can't think of too many who fall into the okay/did a job category.

The best I've seen at Fir Park is Darren Randolph, a phenomenal 'keeper. Honorable mentions for  Ruddy, Gillespie and Carson too. 

The worst - Samson, Neilsen, Twardzik, Hollis, Meldrum, Dubourdeau and Woods. Samson being the worst of the bunch for me. 

Guys like Connor Ripley and George Long probably fall into the okay category for me.

Edited by dezz

19 hours ago, Stu said:

He did end up at Celtic at one point as he seemingly claimed if he hadn't chosen to leave it would have been him, not David Marshall, who came on against Barcelona. I seem to remember he ended up at Queen of the South and Ricky Gillies scored a Ronaldinho-esque fluke free-kick against him.

Back in the day, his dad came on MSN Messenger to have a go at me for slagging his son off on the forums. Fair enough - except he then claimed if the club had listened to him we'd have been able to get guys like Carlton Cole and Leon Knight on loan 🤣

He did, I remember seeing him when I was covering St Cuthbert Wanderers against Pollok in one of the first games for the juniors in the Scottish Cup. Pollok cruised it apart from a couple of utter Robertson calamities that took me back to early 1990s Love Street.

Best goalie for us would be penalty king Campbell Money or Hladky, although the campaign the Saints fans rigged to get Ludo named goalie of the year in 2000 was amusing. Samson gets a mention for winning two trophies.

Worst would be Scrimgour. At least we only had to watch guys like Cornell and Ridgers for relatively short periods of time. Tony Fitzpatrick subjected us to half a season of Scrimgour (a sackable offence in itself) and we had more in the Millennium Champions season when Ludo got injured. What really seals it is the season after when Scrimgour actually got subbed for being shite, then left the game early in a huff.

Lee Sharp scored a corner for Arthurlie at Newlandsfield, and Robertson pretty much lost the plot in that game after that.

Best for me would be Money or Hladky, I really don't get the love in Saints fans have for Samson.

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I was looking through old tapes of that era and I was surprised at Mikko Kaven given he has gone down in history as representative of the whole Kampman era.  Looked much better in the old highlights than his 'legend'.  Didn't play that many games and I don't really have a strong memory of him either way which perhaps is a clue.

Stevie Woods was hugely frustrating because he had excellent parts to his game.  Good shot stopper, had a excellent penalty saving record if I remember correctly but he was absolutely hopeless on crosses and just didn't command his box and it being the 1990's that was a much bigger part of the game than it is now.  He also came after and was succeeded by some absolutely top notch keepers.  Ally Maxwell, Sieb Dykstra, Billy Thomson, Scott Howie, Andy Goram etc which I think wasn't to his benefit.  He'd be in my bottom half and I wasn't a fan at the time but I don't think he was the worst.

Graeme Smith I had obviously completely repressed and I'm going to change my answer.  Decent first season and then went to complete shit.  In terms of shiteness-to-games-played he must surpass all other challengers.

The thing with Woods is that, as someone has pointed out, he kept getting new contracts. Think that’s a big part of my dislike for him.

as for Smith, think he was in goals for Hibs in the 6-6 game. I’ll give him that one 😎

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

What are talking about? Smith was more than decent for us. Fantastic in his final season. Made some Scotland squads too.

He had one bad season out of 4, but since the whole team was pish that season but then finished 3rd the next season I think we can put that on Malpas

9 hours ago, tree house tam said:

Please don't quote me, I couldn't give a f**k m8. There are blue skies and beers awaiting my arrival, have a nice day now.

Typical “couldn’t give a f**k” but replies. Anyway I am on to apologise for my unnecessary wind up post this morning, which obviously wound you up more than I intended given your personal abusive reply. We should be sticking together at times like this and I shouldn’t be winding up fellow diddy team fans. I’m big enough and ugly enough to say sorry.

On 18/04/2020 at 16:09, Lurkst said:

Seen some great keepers at Killie but, although he was before my time, it's hard to look past Bobby Ferguson. His save at Tynecastle clinched the league, then was transferred to West Ham for a world record fee for a goalkeeper. 

Has to be Jim Brown for the worst. Only played a few games but unfortunately Scotsport were at one of them...

I seem to remember  getting beaten 6 - 1 around the same time as game above, from St Mirren I think. I remember Jim Brown being in goals then as well. Might be completely wrong as it was long while ago. Still haunts me though.

1 hour ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

What are talking about? Smith was more than decent for us. Fantastic in his final season. Made some Scotland squads too.

He had one bad season out of 4, but since the whole team was pish that season but then finished 3rd the next season I think we can put that on Malpas

Honestly don’t remember him being anything other then a flapping, useless clown. Maybe being very harsh, buts that’s my recollection. Almost happy if I’m wrong. 

49 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Typical “couldn’t give a f**k” but replies. Anyway I am on to apologise for my unnecessary wind up post this morning, which obviously wound you up more than I intended given your personal abusive reply. We should be sticking together at times like this and I shouldn’t be winding up fellow diddy team fans. I’m big enough and ugly enough to say sorry.

What are you on about? If you think me saying "i couldn't give a f**k m8" was abusive you really need to get out more. Just go on about your forum business pal and stop quoting me, job done.

40 minutes ago, NFL12 said:

I seem to remember  getting beaten 6 - 1 around the same time as game above, from St Mirren I think. I remember Jim Brown being in goals then as well. Might be completely wrong as it was long while ago. Still haunts me though.

He was, that St Mirren game was a fortnight after the Rangers pumping.

Brown played 9 games for Killie that season. 0 clean sheets, 26 goals conceded!

I also knew exactly what you were on about and was in the front row behind the goal that day. And I also remember the stories about the supposed fight on the bus on the way to the match. Doesn’t really stop the fact about the Saints fixation with Aberdeen though, does it? 
When a Dons fan reminisces about the Cup winners cup final does it mean they have a fixation with Real Madrid? No, it means they are remembering a match where their team did them proud. That's what being a fan means you twat.

The best keeper in my time watching County was probably Mick McGovern. It felt like having Lev Yashin in goals after years of dross. I doubt any County fan thought he would go on to play in the EPL + Euros though

Scott Fox was very good for us as well, but a few too many howlers keep him from the number 1 spot. He earns extra points for getting into the Scotland squad and sending Partick fans into a seething mess any time they saw him.

The worst by a considerable distance was Alan Creer. Alloa fans warned us about him when we signed him on an emergency loan in the season we were cruising to the Division 2 title. He shipped four goals in the first half during a home pumping by Ayr and barely played again. The last anyone heard of him was he had to retire after losing fingers in a building site accident.

I don't remember Samson being offensively bad during the Scott Leitch banter season. He had to deal with Andy Dowie and Alex Keddie as his centre backs