Best and Worst Goalies in your teams - ever

May as well throw my tuppence worth in too...

Best Motherwell keepers I've seen since I started going to Fir Park are:

Darren Randolph.  A very quiet keeper (I sat behind the goal a lot) but had great presence in the area.   

John Ruddy, Trevor Carson and Mark Gillespie too.

Worst:  I think we have been lucky with keepers in recent years.  I think Craig Sampson was poor; he wouldn't catch a shot in the 6 yard box and the loose ball was always left by McManus, so we conceded a lot of tap ins. 

Connor Ripley was terrible at first, but I did really like the kid.  

Seen some great keepers at Killie but, although he was before my time, it's hard to look past Bobby Ferguson. His save at Tynecastle clinched the league, then was transferred to West Ham for a world record fee for a goalkeeper. 

Has to be Jim Brown for the worst. Only played a few games but unfortunately Scotsport were at one of them...

Edited by Lurkst

Joe Lewis and Tomas Cerny are probably the best pair of keepers we’ve had since Leighton/Gunn.

I couldn’t stand Langfield, but Bossu is probably the worst keeper in my lifetime. About 6ft6” and got shorter when he jumped. Hopeless.

Notable mentions go to David Gonzalez who seemed to dive away from every shot, And Adam Collin who looked like a deer caught in headlights every time the ball came near him.

2 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Our current 3 are very much on the poor list. Along with Jack Hamilton, Enckleman, Hollis, Scott Gallacher and Tepi Moilanen. Kurskis being the worst. Fortunately between the 5 listed (so not including our current crop of duds) only around 100 appearances.
A smattering of no’ bad net tenders in Jamie McDonald, Stevie Banks, Kello and Neil Alexander.
Henry Smith and Gilles Rousset were better than not bad but not quite the level of the best two I’ve seen, Anti Niemi and Craig Gordon. Definitely more good than bad in my experience but unfortunately not at the moment.

McLaughln was the best in the recent past. When you think of the contracts that we have thrown at hopeless punts, failure to keep hold of a proven keeper is another charge on the long list against Levein.

1 hour ago, Addie said:

Darren Randolph.  A very quiet keeper (I sat behind the goal a lot) but had great presence in the area.   

Worst:  I think we have been lucky with keepers in recent years.  I think Craig Sampson was poor; he wouldn't catch a shot in the 6 yard box and the loose ball was always left by McManus, so we conceded a lot of tap ins. 

Worst: Mikko Karen in with a shout? Stevie Woods and Graeme Smith as well well consistently poor. 
Agree with Randolph as the best. 

1 hour ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Best: Broto & Alexander (twice).

Worst: Oya fucker there has been a few, Liberda, Colin Stewart, Ludo Roy.  I've prob missed some, blotting their nightmares from my mind.

Special mention to Tony the bombscare Bullock, with his mad runs outside of his box getting himself into all kinds of trouble, but he got better once we fixed a bunjee rope to him, tied to the goal posts, and his kicking was superb.

Agree on the best. Alexander probably edges for me as I only started following regularly in 2007/08.

I would put Ludo Roy on top of the worst just due to the goal conceded to Dunfermline. 

Best has to be Broto or Alexander, Liam Kelly last season probably comes close but just short

Worst for me is Bullock or Andy McNeil, he was an absolute bombscare at corners and just seemed to get lost in the box. Both of them good shot stoppers but couldn't dive for shit

McLaughln was the best in the recent past. When you think of the contracts that we have thrown at hopeless punts, failure to keep hold of a proven keeper is another charge on the long list against Levein.

I forgot about McLaughlin! Sums him up in a way, never in the headlines just went about his job and done it well.
I think McLaughlin wanted back down the rod and we’d never have been able to match his wages, but it might have been an idea to bring in someone close to competent

Toss-up between Theo and Leighton as the best. Theo just edges it for me. 

A few candidates for the worst , but I think it’s harsh to name any that hardly played any games .  We must have a had huge support at Kilmarnock when they beat us 4-2 in a League Cup tie in 2008. Our defence that night included Jared Hodgkiss , Zander Diamond And Charlie Mulgrew. .Bossu was in goals that night , but  just about any time there’s a discussion about our worst keeper , he’s almost the unanimous choice. He only made two other apppearances  for us and kept clean sheets both times. 

I’d say Scott Brown was our worst keeper. Along with the ref , Steven McLean , he cost us the League Cup semi in 2014-15 against Dundee United.  

He also sold the jerseys against Ronnie Deila’s Celtic in the same season when he fvcked up badly just before halftime after we’d been dominating the game up to that point. A win that day would have put real pressure on Celtic who were nowhere near the force they are now. 

And he was at fault for Dundee’s first goal when they knocked us out of that Scottish Cup that season.

So basically , Scott Brown cost us the treble.

And is solely responsible for all the ten-in-a-row pish.

59 minutes ago, 18May1991 said:

Worst: Mikko Karen in with a shout? Stevie Woods and Graeme Smith as well well consistently poor. 
Agree with Randolph as the best. 

Worst for me John Gardiner..Michael Fraser ..Lee Hollis. Craig Samson

Best Ally Maxwell. Darren Randolph . John Ruddy

4 hours ago, bennett said:

Best has to be Goram followed by Klos.

Special mention for Chris Woods who was the best I'd seen at Ibrox after he signed.  Goram eclipsed him but I'm not sure about Klos.  Close shout.

We've had some stinkers but I think Stewart Kennedy has to take the prize here with 'that' display at Wembley undoing all the good performances he'd put in that season.

2 hours ago, Addie said:

I see you just completely repressed the Lee Hollis, Gunnar Neilsen, Dan Twardzik era. Sorry for bringing it up.

54 minutes ago, wellinwigan said:

Worst for me John Gardiner..Michael Fraser ..Lee Hollis. Craig Samson

Best Ally Maxwell. Darren Randolph . John Ruddy

Good lord. I had managed to forget Michael Fraser. 
Samson was awful, of course, but I sort of don’t consider him one of ‘ours’

Aberdeen 

best Leighton  was close between him and theo, but handy didn't sign for rangers.

worst 

Nicky butter shortbread fingers waker.

rangers 

Klos 

Nicky butter shortbread fingers.walker

hearts

Niemi

Nicky butter shortbread fingers Walker

Patrick thistle

very

Nicky butter shortbread fingers Walker

also special mentions