Celtic Sides in Football League Trophy

How about this for Scottish fans?

How about we enter all the Scottish Premier sides who have not qualified for Europe. Plus a selection of Welsh Premier sides into the lower divisions Football League Trophy.

I do not support merging the British leagues as that would destroy our identity as a nation.

I do not support the big Scottish sides joining the English League as that would destroy the quality of the Scottish League.

But I do support the notion of cross border cups, on top of domestic and European football.

Now we already have Irish, Welsh, and English sides playing in the Scottish Challenge Cup. Plus English sides used to play in the Welsh Cup for years

So how about the favour is returned and we play all Scottish Premier sides who have not qualified for Europe, plus a selection of Welsh Premier sides in the Football League Trophy?

The Football League Trophy is played between English League One and English League Two sides plus the youth teams of English Premier League sides.

Up to the final the cup is regionalised. So Scottish teams could play in the Northern section, while Welsh sides could play in the Southern section.

Imagine a Scottish side getting to play a final at Wembley Stadium!

Imagine the cross border banter between Scotland, Wales, and England!

Imagine the great trips to stadiums you have never been to before, with a Scottish club!

Imagine the fun of playing big sides like Sunderland, Blackpool, and Coventry City!

Imagine beating a major English team that had been relegated to the lower divisions!

Imagine the fun of winning an English trophy!

My replies to the Negatives

Travel – Well teams in Australia, the USA, and Russia, make trips of 1000’s of miles for a league game. So a trip from Dingwall to Coventry once a season is not too much especially when Scottish clubs have visited Georgia, Turkey, Kazakhstan and Israel in the last few years.

Not that big a trophy – I accept this is not going to transform Scottish football. But it would add a bit of spice to the season. The chance to beat English sides of a similar level, without it becoming monotonous. Travelling to England 20 times a season, would be too much, but a handful of times a year would be fun. I am not saying this would be comparable to playing Real Madrid in the Champions League. But it is would still be a fun thing each season.

What do the Welsh sides offer?

I accept they would not bring big crowds or TV revenue, but this would be about helping the Welsh League develop. It would not damage Scottish or English soccer to do this, but would enormously help Welsh soccer for their teams to play high standard English sides in competitive games. It would be a transformational benefit for Welsh football.

I doubt many Scottish football fans are dreaming of glamour ties against Walsall, Fleetwood and Northampton. I also don't think they'd feel particularly keen on the inevitable humiliating game that would, no doubt, appear when an established Scottish Premiership team gets horsed by Port Vale or Swindon at some point.

The English Football League are nowhere near desperate enough to consider adding a few clubs from another country. There's no benefit for them.

I actually wouldn't mind if the associations got together and invented a new cup for the British sides, but all this fucking about with the wee teams' tournaments can GTF. If it's that good an idea, get Celtgers, whoever's desperate enough in Ireland and Wales, and the highest-up interested parties in England to get to it in their own time. I'm sure there's an audience that would happily watch Neil or Steven's Boys get embarrassed by Bromsgrove Rovers.

4 hours ago, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

How about we enter all the Scottish Premier sides who have not qualified for Europe. Plus a selection of Welsh Premier sides into the lower divisions Football League Trophy.

I do not support merging the British leagues as that would destroy our identity as a nation.

I do not support the big Scottish sides joining the English League as that would destroy the quality of the Scottish League.

But I do support the notion of cross border cups, on top of domestic and European football.

Now we already have Irish, Welsh, and English sides playing in the Scottish Challenge Cup. Plus English sides used to play in the Welsh Cup for years

So how about the favour is returned and we play all Scottish Premier sides who have not qualified for Europe, plus a selection of Welsh Premier sides in the Football League Trophy?

The Football League Trophy is played between English League One and English League Two sides plus the youth teams of English Premier League sides.

Up to the final the cup is regionalised. So Scottish teams could play in the Northern section, while Welsh sides could play in the Southern section.

Imagine a Scottish side getting to play a final at Wembley Stadium!

Imagine the cross border banter between Scotland, Wales, and England!

Imagine the great trips to stadiums you have never been to before, with a Scottish club!

Imagine the fun of playing big sides like Sunderland, Blackpool, and Coventry City!

Imagine beating a major English team that had been relegated to the lower divisions!

Imagine the fun of winning an English trophy!

My replies to the Negatives

Travel – Well teams in Australia, the USA, and Russia, make trips of 1000’s of miles for a league game. So a trip from Dingwall to Coventry once a season is not too much especially when Scottish clubs have visited Georgia, Turkey, Kazakhstan and Israel in the last few years.

Not that big a trophy – I accept this is not going to transform Scottish football. But it would add a bit of spice to the season. The chance to beat English sides of a similar level, without it becoming monotonous. Travelling to England 20 times a season, would be too much, but a handful of times a year would be fun. I am not saying this would be comparable to playing Real Madrid in the Champions League. But it is would still be a fun thing each season.

What do the Welsh sides offer?

I accept they would not bring big crowds or TV revenue, but this would be about helping the Welsh League develop. It would not damage Scottish or English soccer to do this, but would enormously help Welsh soccer for their teams to play high standard English sides in competitive games. It would be a transformational benefit for Welsh football.

Imagine you didn't exist.

On 17/04/2020 at 13:40, Thistle Scotland Europe said:

Stopped reading after this

12 hours ago, Jacksgranda said:

Why don't we test the water by sending Celtic and Rangers Colts to the Northern Premier League Division One North?

Preferably the South West Peninsula league, as far away from Scotland as possible.

39 minutes ago, Super Saddler said:

It's a better idea than the Premier League U-21 teams which we have now.

In other news, syphilis is better than a shotgun blast to the knackers.

...according to a mate.