Can You Tell Where It Is Yet?

36 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Still no idea where this is.

It's pissing me off now. I thought it might be somewhere like Sarajevo from the text but I can't find it.

I literally couldn't sleep last night until I got Rorke's bloody drift. It looked like Africa but I had thought the flag was US, which made me think it must be South Pacific, but that would have to be a very big island and there was no jungle. Then I thought, what if you're wrong about the flag, and from then there were only two likely options. 

2 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's pissing me off now. I thought it might be somewhere like Sarajevo from the text but I can't find it.

I literally couldn't sleep last night until I got Rorke's bloody drift. It looked like Africa but I had thought the flag was US, which made me think it must be South Pacific, but that would have to be a very big island and there was no jungle. Then I thought, what if you're wrong about the flag, and from then there were only two likely options. 

Could have saved you the bother m8. :P

On 17/05/2020 at 15:09, welshbairn said:

33 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Occasionally I get one film confused with another but not as bad as you. 

South Pacific Poster.jpg

Zulu Poster.jpg

On 29/04/2020 at 17:40, Falcor Roar said:

Bang on. Europe's only buddhist majority region apparently. 

I've got another if anyones interested? Plenty of currently undeveloped real estate near the centre of this city. 

google.thumb.jpg.593dc56d5130a33245394e0f51f7ba6d.jpg

Anyone tracked down the guy on the mural? First thought cricketer, then rugby player, then sax player (maybe John Coltrane) then clarinet player. It looks like an arts venue but it looks like a sports venue behind it, probably cricket. I'm stumped. 

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Did you spot the tourist attraction in the picture?

I saw that it was a corner shop in... a city I'll not name so as to avoid spoilers. I wondered what would be so special about that and then I remembered something about a corner that still belonged to some guy, and then I looked and saw the thing.

So, do you know the connection between that and Eaglesham?

45 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I saw that it was a corner shop in... a city I'll not name so as to avoid spoilers. I wondered what would be so special about that and then I remembered something about a corner that still belonged to some guy, and then I looked and saw the thing.

So, do you know the connection between that and Eaglesham?

I am now acutely aware of the connection.

7 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

What gave it away?

The number plates told me it was France and not just French speaking. After far too much rummaging I got the list of overseas territories and collectivities from wiki and just stated Googling them to see if I could find the right landscape. There are only eight of them and there were a few it couldn't be, so I got it on the second attempt, looked for the tourist office et c'était là. 

19 minutes ago, GordonS said:

The number plates told me it was France and not just French speaking. After far too much rummaging I got the list of overseas territories and collectivities from wiki and just stated Googling them to see if I could find the right landscape. There are only eight of them and there were a few it couldn't be, so I got it on the second attempt, looked for the tourist office et c'était là. 

Look at the second picture.  Then google "Shop Hacala".

Interesting story from the "Rise and Fall of Prohibition".  It was discovered they could make a lot of money if they received whisky from Canada and then shipped it on to the USA.

Initially they planned to build lots of warehouse to store the whisky but then they came up with a simpler solution.  Simply rubber stamp a document that said "we received the whisky and now it is on its way again".  No warehouses, no costly unloading and re-loading.  Just an ink pad and a stamp.  Easy.

Edited by Fullerene

4 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Look at the second picture.  Then google "Shop Hacala".

Interesting story from the "Rise and Fall of Prohibition".  It was discovered they could make a lot of money if they received whisky from Canada and then shipped it on to the USA.

Initially they planned to build lots of warehouse to store the whisky but then they came up with a simpler solution.  Simply rubber stamp a document that said "we received the whisky and now it is on its way again".  No warehouses, no costly unloading and re-loading.  Just an ink pad and a stamp.  Easy.

I googled Hacala but didn't include the word 'shop'. Even tried cafe. Dang it.

So open borders are good for business? 

4 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I googled Hacala but didn't include the word 'shop'. Even tried cafe. Dang it.

So open borders are good for business? 

Yes.  These islands are part of France and also part of the EU but there are restrictions on freedom of movement.  Not sure how that is relevant in this day and age but there you go.