Can You Tell Where It Is Yet?

9 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

If you look at Google Maps in the direction you are facing, it’s more of a WNW direction. Following a straight line from the shore line of the docks, it’s certainly more likely to be Lomond that Arran.

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

If you look at the crane to the right of the ship, you are seeing it side on. 

That suggest to me that the view is almost directly West.  If so, then it to far south to be Loch Lomond but not that far off.  Maybe Beinn Dubh.

Cheers guys that's really helpful 50 miles as the crow flies it pretty decent when you are only 50m above sea level.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Battle of Langside memorial, won by the Earl of Moray in the 1560s(?), and Linlithgow sheriff court, the window of which he was shot from in the first recorded political assassination by firearm.

Nailed it.

I'm so happy to see my favourite thread resurrected too!

17 minutes ago, 101 said:

Cheers guys that's really helpful 50 miles as the crow flies it pretty decent when you are only 50m above sea level.

I think it's definitely Ben Lomond. It's exactly the right shape and from your view it's just to the right of the Longannet chimney, so it's bang in the right place. 

Just now, Fullerene said:

I have been to all four places.  This is probably the least scenic.

Still struggling with your recent one - maybe a mine in Linlithgow or Leadhills?

I guess the big clue would be, Streetview isn't just horizontal.

1 minute ago, Fullerene said:

I have been to all four places.  This is probably the least scenic.

Still struggling with your recent one - maybe a mine in Linlithgow or Leadhills?

I've been to all four on GB (was at Dunnet Head in a ridiculous winter rain storm, it was magnificent). Also been to the most easterly and southerly in Scotland. I've not been to St Kilda yet though...

2 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yes.  I suspect it is a mineshaft but I am not sure where.

No, it's outside, on a normal road.

NOT horizontal. And I posted two pictures from the same place - there's only one difference.

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Battle of Langside memorial, won by the Earl of Moray in the 1560s(?), and Linlithgow sheriff court, the window of which he was shot from in the first recorded political assassination by firearm.

How appropriate.   Today is the anniversary of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

10 hours ago, 101 said:

Bump, can anyone identity what/where the hill is far in the distance? Interested to know how far you can see from top of NQ/Invk/Rosyth

Found a couple of website that might help in the future, both say Ben Lomond

https://www.peakfinder.org/en?lat=56.0186&lng=-3.4005&ele=36&azi=285.09&alt=-2.12&fov=23.64&date=2021-04-15T11:22:01Z&cfg=s&name=

https://peakvisor.com/panorama.html?lat=56.01544448701262&lng=-3.399103530632885&alt=66&yaw=-73.87&pitch=0.46&hfov=12.49

23 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Think I've been passed that roundabout.  You can just make out Sermitsiaq poking out on the right.

I assume you are referring to Sanikiluaq.  In  any case, one benefit of this thread is that people are getting to know about places with Inuit names.

Presumably this picture is one of Inuit Graffiti but seriously I think that Google Maps have simply put it in the wrong place.

Inuit.jpg

50 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

I assume you are referring to Sanikiluaq.  In  any case, one benefit of this thread is that people are getting to know about places with Inuit names.

Presumably this picture is one of Inuit Graffiti but seriously I think that Google Maps have simply put it in the wrong place.

Inuit.jpg

Sanikiluaq is in Nunavut.  I'm pretty sure that's Sermitsiaq.  That picture can't be Greenland - there's no railway lines there...or roads out of the towns for that matter.

2 minutes ago, Highland Capital said:

Sanikiluaq is in Nunavut.  I'm pretty sure that's Sermitsiaq.  That picture can't be Greenland - there's no railway lines there...or roads out of the towns for that matter.

Okay.  You meant Sermitsiaq.  In any case, Google Maps does place it in Greenland but I really seriously think it is a mistake.  

This one is also from Russia and I suspect it is also completely in the wrong place - although on this one I might be wrong.  Obviously nobody can be expected to locate any of these three pictures from the picture alone but if you  go on to Google Maps, they are located in the least likely places.

Shed.jpg