Can You Tell Where It Is Yet?

42 minutes ago, Fullerene said:

Yes, there is a claim that the British deliberately put arsenic in the wallpaper to bump him off.  It is not true.  After all nobody else in the house suffered.  Although there probably was arsenic in the wallpaper.

Very old wallpaper is dangerous because almost every colour was achieved using one poison or another.  For example, Arsenic for Green.

The Toxic Histories of Five Famous Pigments (noahtech.com)

A friend of mine grew up in a big old house in the west end of Glasgow, with toxic AF wallpaper in the nursery. Yes, they had a nursery. His dad still lives there and I've seen it, it's genuine Victorian wallpaper with a pram-pattern print.

It appears not to have done him too much harm, though he is an Albion Rovers fan... 

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

Stonewall Jackson's headquarters, just down the road from the amazing Pizzoco Pizza Parlour?

Oh blast.  People actually know that place. 

Any guesses the connection between this place and Harper's Ferry?

BTW.  It is not Patsy Kline.

Correction. How bloody stupid am I.  A simple google of Pizzoco Pizza Parlour.  Dumb.

Edited by Fullerene

1 hour ago, Fullerene said:

Oh blast.  People actually know that place. 

Any guesses the connection between this place and Harper's Ferry?

BTW.  It is not Patsy Kline.

Correction. How bloody stupid am I.  A simple google of Pizzoco Pizza Parlour.  Dumb.

I Googled the pizza place, found the location, saw Stonewall Jackson's hoose and guessed that the other pic is Harper's Ferry. I linked to an article about the battle rather than to the place to show I'd made the connection. You're one of the few (only?) people here who blur out details in pics (learned that the hard way with "Little Island", didn't I?) so I thought you were throwing us an easy one.

3 hours ago, GordonS said:

You're one of the few (only?) people here who blur out details in pics (learned that the hard way with "Little Island", didn't I?) so I thought you were throwing us an easy one.

Some pictures I posted were solved too easily by the globe at the bottom right (page 2) or who took the picture (page 23 Jon Scheyer Pitcairn Island).

The Stonewall Jackson one was tricky.  It was on North Braddock Street and Winchester is one of the few places to have a street like that.  The sign out front says Stonewall Jackson Museum.  I should have paid more attention to the Pizza Parlour. 

The museum has old wallpaper in a sealed unit (again the poison thing).

Stonewall Jackson suffered the same fate as the casualties on Kiska.  Blue on Blue.  ..or should I say Gray on Gray.  Incidentally the civil museum in Winchester indicated that it took a while for the two sides to agree to uniforms that were totally different and flags that were totally different.  Imagine Celtic playing Buckie Thistle if you might.

Winchester is the original home of Patsy Kline.  No interest to me apart from a brilliant song by Ricky Warwick.

Harper's Ferry and Winchester do have something in common.  I will leave that one with you.

• 2 months later...

Bump, can anyone identity what/where the hill is far in the distance? Interested to know how far you can see from top of NQ/Invk/Rosyth

Screenshot_20210415-122616.thumb.jpg.d93c0322e5d993452de7f2119cf40ee5.jpg

Screenshot_20210415-122627__01.jpg

Edited by 101

2 minutes ago, Hamish's Passenger said:

I’m guessing it’s either Ben Lomond or Ben Ledi. Ben Ledi is just past Callander beside Loch Lubnaig.

I think they are both too far north, this would be due SW/SSW, my friend thought it was Arran but that seemed a little far.

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I think they are both too far north, this would be due SW/SSW, my friend thought it was Arran but that seemed a little far.

If you look at the crane to the right of the ship, you are seeing it end on. 

That suggests to me that the view is almost directly West.  If so, then it is too far south to be Ben Lomond but not that far off.  Maybe Beinn Dubh.

Edited by Fullerene

23 minutes ago, 101 said:

From SW Fife, Ben Lomond is the most obvious one you can see before the hills to the left block the view. Ben Ledi is off to the right of it, not quite as prominent but they’re the two that stand out. On a really clear day you can see over to Arran but probably need to be a wee bit further inland and higher up (eg Saline or up behind Knockhill).

ETA, if it’s a clear enough day to see Arran the hills beyond Ben Ledi also appear. 

Edited by Abby Normal

9 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

From SW Fife, Ben Lomond is the most obvious one you can see before the hills to the left block the view. Ben Ledi is off to the right of it, not quite as prominent but they’re the two that stand out. On a really clear day you can see over to Arran but probably need to be a wee bit further inland and higher up (eg Saline or up behind Knockhill).

ETA, if it’s a clear enough day to see Arran the hills beyond Ben Ledi also appear. 

Cheers that's helpful 👍

If you look at Google Maps in the direction you are facing, it’s more of a WNW direction. Following a straight line from the shore line of the docks, it’s certainly more likely to be Lomond that Arran.