Walking Down the Beechwood Road mk 2

On 04/05/2020 at 10:43, TFW said:

Of course Talbot players receive a remuneration consistent with what the club's pay structure allows. I'm also not naive, and know it will be amongst the bast structure at the old Junior grade, and so it should be because we have been a consistently good side winning many honours.

It's the honours that are the difference though. You do get some mercenaries at our grade, and others looking for final pay days, who would rather have the money than medals. If you can get both, and the players certainly have during Tucker's reign at Beechwood, then you have the best of both worlds. Couple that with our support, who have raised something like nearly £200,000 for the players transfer and retention fund since it started and it's easy to see why there's such a strong relationship between players and fans. Let's not forget as well, that Tucker and his management team, and all the players contribute to that as well - so there's approximately £2,000 coming in for team building from themselves every year.

Talbot never go head to head with other clubs over transfer targets. Remember the Irvine Meadow situation when they were chasing the honours a decade back now, and they were buying players to stop the likes of Talbot buying them. That was never sustainable. Then you look at Tucker's record of plucking players from the more obscure ranks of the game - Annbank is a favourite hunting ground - and his record there is second to none. We do buy established players. Gormley and Steven Wilson being two prime examples, when goalscorers were needed, but on the whole Talbot do not pay big, and would certainly never countenance paying the kind of wages it would take to bring some of the ex seniors who have played in the Super League to Beechwood.

Will any Talbot players move this season? I doubt it very much, but you never know. We were on the verge of something very special last season when it all stopped. Big money clubs like Darvel might be competing for honours with the cash they've been throwing around, but it's not a sure fire way of guaranteeing success. You can buy great players, but you never know if they'll mould into a great team or not. Over the last two decades Talbot have shown the team ethos is the way to win trophies, and am sincerely hoping when we start back up again it serves us right again.

One of the most balanced posts I've read about Talbot in here. In my opinion, Talbot are one of the clubs that have the most to lose in the new structure. Simply put, Talbot are already maximising their opportunity, punching well above their population year after year. Is it possible to do any more at Talbot? If there comes a period where the success drys up, will the used to success Talbot support still turn out? This isn't a dig BTW, it's a genuine question.

Edited by funky monkey

One of the most balanced posts I've read about Talbot in here. In my opinion, Talbot are one of the clubs that have the most to lose in the new structure. Simply put, Talbot are already maximising their opportunity, punching well above their population year after year. Is it possible to do any more at Talbot? If there comes a period where the success drys up, will the used to success Talbot support still turn out? This isn't a dig BTW, it's a genuine question.
If domestic cups dried up but we won the 2 respective leagues and promoted , would getting to league 2 attract more fans?

• 2 weeks later...

PLAYING STAFF UPDATE

Delighted to announce that the following players have now signed extended contracts with the club!

Gareth Armstrong: Brian Boylan: Kieran Healey: Brian Hewitt: Dwayne Hyslop: Andy Leishman: Willie Lyle: Jack McDowall: Hamish McKinlay: Neill McPherson: Corey Pearson: Gordon Pope: Aiden Wilson: Graham Wilson: Stephen Wilson: Steven White: Dillon Young.

The Club is hopeful that our remaining players will be extending their deals in the next few days. Tucker and the club feel it is important to keep this squad together.

PLAYING STAFF UPDATE

Delighted to announce that the following players have now signed extended contracts with the club!

Gareth Armstrong: Brian Boylan: Kieran Healey: Brian Hewitt: Dwayne Hyslop: Andy Leishman: Willie Lyle: Jack McDowall: Hamish McKinlay: Neill McPherson: Corey Pearson: Gordon Pope: Aiden Wilson: Graham Wilson: Stephen Wilson: Steven White: Dillon Young.

The Club is hopeful that our remaining players will be extending their deals in the next few days. Tucker and the club feel it is important to keep this squad together.
Hopefully Shankland will sign

43 minutes ago, Botman said:

PLAYING STAFF UPDATE

Great news.

It's always difficult keeping a reasonably sized squad together, especially when you have players who are so keen to play. We've lost players before because of this, and will undoubtedly do so again, but Tucker's got the squad ticking over very nicely indeed. Both the players mentioned are very exciting on their day, and it's no surprise others might want to try and tempt them away should they perhaps pick up that they want more game time - or can pay more money. I hope they stay, but if they go we will move on.

We have other young players who got good game time last season and came up to the mark every time they were called upon, and I have no doubt that the likes of Hamish might also be able to play as a co-striker as he has a definite eye for goal. Shankland, as already mentioned, is adored at Beechwood and I think the feeling is certainly reciprocal. He has a great rapport with our younger support, and it is the kind of thing that would be really difficult to replicate elsewhere. Craig McCracken is another player still to sign, and hopefully that will happen soon although he will have a demanding legal career ahead of him. Best header of a ball I've ever seen at Beechwood, and has scored some really important big game goals for us.

If we get three out of the four re-signing I'll be more than happy. I also reckon Tucker's probably got one or two young gems nobody else will have considered on his radar as well. All in all am still very positive about the forthcoming season as and when / if and when it ever gets started again.

1 minute ago, Ball-foot-score said:

The lads aren’t blown away with the prospect of the Lowland League and if given the chance to go full time who wouldn’t?

I think whats happening at Dunfermline and QOS shows that a lower end pro footballer is not all its cracked up to be especially if you have a decent job outside of football

15 hours ago, Talbot supporter said:
15 hours ago, Ball-foot-score said:
The lads aren’t blown away with the prospect of the Lowland League and if given the chance to go full time who wouldn’t?

How many teams are fulltime though out with the championship? A few? Even some championship teams are part time

Think it's just Falkirk, Thistle and Airdrie now.

Queens Park have money to burn. They could do worse than trying to sign a few guys from Talbot.

Think it's just Falkirk, Thistle and Airdrie now.
Queens Park have money to burn. They could do worse than trying to sign a few guys from Talbot.
You just wonder if it's worth leaving Talbot for a non full time team ? A local top end championship team maybe yes .

On 25/05/2020 at 19:20, Ball-foot-score said:

Shankland will resign I hope, he’ll not get what he has at Talbot anywhere outside the Championship in terms of fans and profile. Glasgow is wanted in the east so can see someone coming in for him but he’s got things pretty good at beechwood.

Kelty are all over Samson like luscious Lucy in the mad hoose. If I was Samson I’d get another season under my belt, he fell out the team towards the end of the season and his fanciers took note. Looked like something distracting him, not sure if personal reasons or wants a bigger club than Talbot. If he finds form like he did at the start of the season can see someone coming in for him.

You've also got Darvel waiting in the wings, wanting to stake their claim by filling a wheelbarrow full of cash.. and a USB port in the dressing room, just to stick one to Talbot. 

Samson is a good player but I can't see us signing  him with Easton & Russell able to play wide left most of the time already. Sure your info has came from somewhere though so you never know.