Walking Down the Beechwood Road mk 2

Dust is settling,

Questions still being asked about Conference set ups, and how many teams there are likely to be in each one next season. Minor things.

Having spoken to many Talbot fans about moving from Junior to the Senior ranks, I know some are fairly ambivalent, others saying change was perhaps inevitable, and others saying we should have stopped where we are. That's understandable, we were very successful indeed at our old grade, and nobody can take our history away from us.

I know I'm probably in the minority of fans who have come down decidedly in favour of the move to the new set up, and I can't wait for it all to start - whenever that is. We'll still be playing some of last season's teams, we'll be playing other teams we haven't played for a while, and maybe one or two new ones. What's not to like? If we are in a Conference with some of our Ayrshire neighbours who rarely get the chance of a decent gate, then it's a chance for them to reap that benefit and I see nothing wrong at all with that. The Conferences are for just the one season and it won't hurt any of the top clubs to take decent support to such clubs wherever they may be.

Will we still play in the Junior Cup? I hope we do only if there are sufficient clubs who wish to participate, I'd hate to see a once proud competition become an additional extra that doesn't have any standing any more. If that's the case it should be consigned to history, and we can live on the many memories.

A decent summary Welshie. A point I would like to pick up is the SJFA Cup because I'm sure I read somewhere that the remaining clubs in the SJFA could vote against the WOSL clubs still wanting to participate in the competition. I'm unsure about how the clubs in the North and East feel about the recent switch by the WSJFA clubs to the pyramid, but a competition void of the big West clubs might seem alluring to them.

Dust is settling,
Questions still being asked about Conference set ups, and how many teams there are likely to be in each one next season. Minor things.
Having spoken to many Talbot fans about moving from Junior to the Senior ranks, I know some are fairly ambivalent, others saying change was perhaps inevitable, and others saying we should have stopped where we are. That's understandable, we were very successful indeed at our old grade, and nobody can take our history away from us.
I know I'm probably in the minority of fans who have come down decidedly in favour of the move to the new set up, and I can't wait for it all to start - whenever that is. We'll still be playing some of last season's teams, we'll be playing other teams we haven't played for a while, and maybe one or two new ones. What's not to like? If we are in a Conference with some of our Ayrshire neighbours who rarely get the chance of a decent gate, then it's a chance for them to reap that benefit and I see nothing wrong at all with that. The Conferences are for just the one season and it won't hurt any of the top clubs to take decent support to such clubs wherever they may be.
Will we still play in the Junior Cup? I hope we do only if there are sufficient clubs who wish to participate, I'd hate to see a once proud competition become an additional extra that doesn't have any standing any more. If that's the case it should be consigned to history, and we can live on the many memories.

For those Talbot fans who you talk to and who say you should have stopped where you were, do you ask them who you would have been playing against ?

It was a long while before concrete proposals were ever made GM. I think once we do get back to the real thing, and a game of football to watch, the Talbot fans will still be paying their entrance fees at Beechwood and beyond. I just can't envisage them not doing so.

2 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

A decent summary Welshie. A point I would like to pick up is the SJFA Cup because I'm sure I read somewhere that the remaining clubs in the SJFA could vote against the WOSL clubs still wanting to participate in the competition. I'm unsure about how the clubs in the North and East feel about the recent switch by the WSJFA clubs to the pyramid, but a competition void of the big West clubs might seem alluring to them.

From a Tayside perspective, I don't think clubs here are universally happy with this. Yet, at the same time most clubs won't want the Junior Cup to just become North/Tayside/West Lothian so I would expect enough clubs to vote for these changes, in some cases probably grudgingly.

From a Tayside perspective, I don't think clubs here are universally happy with this. Yet, at the same time most clubs won't want the Junior Cup to just become North/Tayside/West Lothian so I would expect enough clubs to vote for these changes, in some cases probably grudgingly.

But if these clubs allow the WoS clubs to compete, it removes any realistic chance of them winning it, and the financial rewards that go with it.

For what it's worth the West Lothian clubs feel the WRJFA shafted them after they had agreed to stick by the ERJFA.

23 minutes ago, BMan said:

But if these clubs allow the WoS clubs to compete, it removes any realistic chance of them winning it, and the financial rewards that go with it.

For what it's worth the West Lothian clubs feel the WRJFA shafted them after they had agreed to stick by the ERJFA.

That might be how bigger clubs think. But the vast majority of clubs won't have a chance of winning it themselves so I'd imagine they'd rather have a pay day against the likes of Talbot.

That might be how bigger clubs think. But the vast majority of clubs won't have a chance of winning it themselves so I'd imagine they'd rather have a pay day against the likes of Talbot.

Not so sure about that, some clubs in the North probably aren't such big fans of long costly journeys (or playing hosts) followed by an inevitable scudding. Some have withdrawn because of it in the past due to the financial risk. Anyway, we'll see how it turns out.

8 minutes ago, BMan said:

Not so sure about that, some clubs in the North probably aren't such big fans of long costly journeys (or playing hosts) followed by an inevitable scudding. Some have withdrawn because of it in the past due to the financial risk. Anyway, we'll see how it turns out.

It was the North that wanted to scrap replays for the very reason of costly extra games.

No offence to the south cup but would prefer a junior cup final on national telly any day! What I am looking forward to is the floodlights being installed. Was mentioned before about an evening glamour friendly to celebrate which seems a cracking idea.  Still pinching myself, Beechwood and Talbot as a whole is what every community club must aspire to be.  

Maybe you could film it like you used to before you became the spokesman for Talbot ....

No offence to the south cup but would prefer a junior cup final on national telly any day! What I am looking forward to is the floodlights being installed. Was mentioned before about an evening glamour friendly to celebrate which seems a cracking idea.  Still pinching myself, Beechwood and Talbot as a whole is what every community club must aspire to be.  

That's a point , the junior cup was the holy grail of our grade , final on tv every year massive occasion for the fans. Will this still happen? And if any cup replaces it will it have the same impact as capturing the whole town / support / tv ??

4 hours ago, andy25 said:

Maybe you could film it like you used to before you became the spokesman for Talbot ....

Or you could stop being a di*k, don't see you calling anyone else saying that I'm a Talbot spokesperson. Just targeting me, again.

Edited by Killiepiyo

Look at the South Challenge Cup logically. 

If it were still the Junior Cup, same as last season, we'd be playing in there would be Junior teams from the north in it, but very few from the East.

In the South Challenge Cup we'll be able to lock horns again with the likes of Bo'ness, Linlithgow and others from the East; Kelty, East Stirling, Berwick Rangers etc from the Lowland League.

Whilst I used to love my weekends away travellling to glamorous locations such as Dyce and New Elgin, we all knew the result was pre determined and the trip away was more for the occasion than the match. They were a huge drain on clubs resources as well. The South Challenge Cup will be a National cup in all bar name, and those northern Junior clubs. As long as clubs don't treat it as an exercise to bllod youngsters, squad players etc there should be some cracking ties turning up. Am I looking forward to it? Too right I am.

If folk think Conferences somehow demean the bigger clubs, this club has the capacity to provide some extra "big" games, and I can't see it not taking off with some decent games and subsequent publicity?