League Reconstruction 20/21 season

Aye but only be playing 3 of the teams we faced last year despite being  well clear of relegation spot. Obvious disadvantage if it’s agreed. It’s essentially a relegation   
A minor problem, more a promotion for the other teams. To create bigger leagues this is always going to happen. Gives Clyde a better chance of promotion to the 2nd tier in the future.

14 minutes ago, bigbulllywee said:

There shouldnt be any reconstruction at all, a reversal of the original decision would be the best solution to right a  wrong.

Because all this reconstruction nonsense is all about righting a wrong.

Two wrongs dont make a right imo.

A 'reversal' to what exactly? The delusion that the lower leagues should play out a stack of dead rubber fixtures in front of no crowds? Good luck getting the final league payments back from clubs while you're at it.

If you think relegating the worst team in a division at the conclusion of a season is 'wrong' then try watching a closed shop diddy franchise sport like NFL instead.

Edited by vikingTON

With the WoSFL now established for next year we have a true national pyramid and we should be encouraging churn over the coming seasons.

I don't mind a 14 team "bottom tier" if there are 2 automatic relegation spots. Teams from the LL in particular should be getting opportunities to find their level.

Opening up greater movement between national and regional leagues is better for teams who do make the drop too.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

No.

It's a case of either "punishing" a team who are adrift in bottom after 28 games, or saving them and then punishing the team who finishes 3rd bottom next season, in a situation  that will never be repeated. Theres even an argument that 4 teams could be relegated next season if the leagues temporarily expanded.

You're looking at Hamilton here, they survive every season, look like surviving this season, yet through no fault of their own their chances of relegation and then being stuck in the Championship is trebled, all to save the club adrift at the bottom of the league after 28 games. 

Is that fair on them?

All this situation does is punish smaller clubs by increasing relegation risk.

Hamilton had their, previously very genuine, chances of relegation eliminated despite being in the play off spot at the time things finished so there would be a swings and roundabouts thing going on. As things stand they're currently being given the benefit of the doubt over ICT.

There is no solution that is indisputably fair to everybody.

The primary merit of a temporary restructure  is that it spreads the negative outcomes around more thinly 

As I say this discussion is not particularly relevant because it's not going to be settled by politics as opposed to principle

My personal preferred solution was to void the season. A suggestion that, given it involves denying Celtic nine in a row while still leaving Rangers without a trophy in their second innings, I expected to be more popular amongst reasonable people but was even less likely to  actually take place.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

Making it a closed shop again just to save League 2 no marks like Brechin, Albion Rovers, Stirling Albion etc. From any future relegation threat is my biggest issue.

Where are people seeing this? I’m not seeing anything in these articles of League 2 clubs wanting to make it a closed shop. And if they want a closed shop there’s less chance of that if there’s a 14 team league, they will need to introduce relegation spots because the current playoff bottom spot won’t be enough.

Closed shop will never happen anyway. The pyramid is in full swing, it’s what the fans want, and it’s the right thing to do. Anyone in League 2 who is hoping to make it a closed shop is delusional. They will fail.

You'd think relegation was a massive, horrible, horrendous fate.

It really isn't. Hearts will he fine if they go down, likewise Partick. Those clubs are in fact better placed than most to take the financial hit. I imagine that Stranraer will be fine as well, as they most likely will have been planning on being in League 2 next season anyway.

Relegation isn't a dreadful issue that clubs will never recover from. 

14 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

As things stand they're currently being given the benefit of the doubt over ICT.

ICT weren't even guaranteed a play off spot, yet you're wanting them promoted ahead of teams who could still catch them.

That gives ICT a huge sporting advantage over those teams, who are then at an unfair disadvantage, yet this is somehow alright.

Every solution punishes someone, you're desperate to see someone other than Hearts punished which is understandable, but please stop trying to paint this as some clear answer to the problem.

1 hour ago, FREDDYFRY said:

Aye but only be playing 3 of the teams we faced last year despite being  well clear of relegation spot. Obvious disadvantage if it’s agreed. It’s essentially a relegation   

What nonsense.  It is not a relegation.  By the same token that means that Cove's 'promotion' will not be a promotion.    Clyde will still be in tier 3, no relegation.  

4 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The Caley absolutely deserve to be promoted.  There's no debate required.  We were going to be anyway.

You maybe would.

I just find it odd how Hearts fans scream you cant punish them because of where theyve finished in an incomplete season.

They then claim it's fine to punish clubs like Hamilton next season because they might have been relegated this season.

Then claim you should promote ICT, who weren't even guaranteed a chance at promotion yet, ahead of other teams with an equal chance of promotion purely because of where they finished in an incomplete season.

The whole league system has to be ripped apart, and multiple clubs punished in 12 months time, because for some reason it's a travesty to punish 3 clubs just now.

Only that there is no promotion for the HL or LL.
The Spfl is big enough dont need more teams. They were never guaranteed a promotion anyway only a playoff. We lost our playoffs too. I would make automatic promotion places for non league in the future though.

25 minutes ago, honestman54 said:

What nonsense.  It is not a relegation.  By the same token that means that Cove's 'promotion' will not be a promotion.    Clyde will still be in tier 3, no relegation.  

I said essentially relegation, whatever semantics you call it we and others will be severely disadvantaged which is against the principle outline of the reconstruction group.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

ICT weren't even guaranteed a play off spot, yet you're wanting them promoted ahead of teams who could still catch them.

That gives ICT a huge sporting advantage over those teams, who are then at an unfair disadvantage, yet this is somehow alright.

Every solution punishes someone, you're desperate to see someone other than Hearts punished which is understandable, but please stop trying to paint this as some clear answer to the problem.

Hearts weren't guaranteed to finish last yet you're wanting them relegated...

21 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

You maybe would.

I just find it odd how Hearts fans scream you cant punish them because of where theyve finished in an incomplete season.

They then claim it's fine to punish clubs like Hamilton next season because they might have been relegated this season.

Then claim you should promote ICT, who weren't even guaranteed a chance at promotion yet, ahead of other teams with an equal chance of promotion purely because of where they finished in an incomplete season.

The whole league system has to be ripped apart, and multiple clubs punished in 12 months time, because for some reason it's a travesty to punish 3 clubs just now.

You seem to favor a solution that leave a relatively small number of clubs with major legitimate grievances as opposed to leaving more clubs with relatively minor grievances and that's a perfectly valid subjective viewpoint to hold. 

We could advance competing abstract theories of utilitarian calculus but instead I'd urge you to simply recognise your stance as a personal preference as opposed to an objective moral certainty. If you manage that you will be one step closer to enlightenment and this thread will have been worthwhile.

49 minutes ago, FREDDYFRY said:

I said essentially relegation, whatever semantics you call it we and others will be severely disadvantaged which is against the principle outline of the reconstruction group.

and so will the HL and LL champions be disadvantaged, my team, Dundee and so many others will be disadvantaged.  Yours in the least disadvantaged as you actually haven't been disadvantaged.  

Just now, Archie McSquackle said:

Has there been any details released for the proposed 3x14 divisions? How many games are they suggesting would be played?

and more importantly, what is the promotion/relegation situation for each division, including from the LL and HLs?