League Reconstruction 20/21 season

27 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

What do you think would help as a fan?

Again, I don’t know what is feasible or at all possible.

I would suggest sending a large team of coaches to go and study abroad or get mentored by coaches in the countries we should be trying to emulate with a view to introducing a national programme to be rolled out for coaches to follow for all age groups.

This would obviously depend on the other nations cooperating so I don’t know if they’d be willing to offer something like this.

5 minutes ago, AJF said:

Again, I don’t know what is feasible or at all possible.

I would suggest sending a large team of coaches to go and study abroad or get mentored by coaches in the countries we should be trying to emulate with a view to introducing a national programme to be rolled out for coaches to follow for all age groups.

This would obviously depend on the other nations cooperating so I don’t know if they’d be willing to offer something like this.

So you think the coaches are the problem not the players at a young age?

Invest in loads more coaches. Many multiples of what we have are needed. The cost of gaining the qualifications should be massively reduced too. Absolutely loads more pitches need to be built, especially indoor ones or ones that can withstand the cold in winter. Participation needs to be much higher and, at lower age levels, much less pressurised.

Above all a huge change is needed in how players are coached. If that doesn't change then the above will make little difference.

5 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

So you think the coaches are the problem not the players at a young age?

I’m not really sure what you are getting at here, sorry.

If you have a different view then please, by all means let me know.

11 minutes ago, AJF said:

I’m not really sure what you are getting at here, sorry.

If you have a different view then please, by all means let me know.

Don’t start him on Colt teams again , FFS 

23 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

You made a statement about the decline of the national team, all I'm asking is your views on fixing it?

And I told you. Then you asked if I thought it was the coaches rather than the players that were the issue so I assumed you had a differing view (that the players were the issue and not the coaches).

Without the right coaching then the players are irrelevant. With good coaching you should get better players. Yes, some players may not apply themselves correctly but on the flip side, if you have bad coaching then the chances of getting good players is vastly reduced.

So, yes. I think the issue is with the coaching rather than the players.

10 minutes ago, AJF said:

And I told you. Then you asked if I thought it was the coaches rather than the players that were the issue so I assumed you had a differing view (that the players were the issue and not the coaches).

Without the right coaching then the players are irrelevant. With good coaching you should get better players. Yes, some players may not apply themselves correctly but on the flip side, if you have bad coaching then the chances of getting good players is vastly reduced.

So, yes. I think the issue is with the coaching rather than the players.

The pool of players we have right now are the best we've had for years, we must be doing something right for me this group of players will get to a major tournament.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

The pool of players we have right now are the best we've had for years, we must be doing something right for me this group of players will get to a major tournament.

I sincerely hope they do, however I think that may be down to the fact it is being made easier to qualify for major tournaments nowadays (competitions having more teams at the finals and the new nations league format).

For example, if we put the current crop of players in the group we had in Euro 2008 qualifying (France, Italy, Ukraine, Lithuania, Georgia, Faroe Islands) I don’t think the current team would have fared much better than Scotland did that year (we won 8 out of 12 matches).

We are still woefully short in options at centre back and up front.

6 minutes ago, AJF said:

I sincerely hope they do, however I think that may be down to the fact it is being made easier to qualify for major tournaments nowadays (competitions having more teams at the finals and the new nations league format).

For example, if we put the current crop of players in the group we had in Euro 2008 qualifying (France, Italy, Ukraine, Lithuania, Georgia, Faroe Islands) I don’t think the current team would have fared much better than Scotland did that year (we won 8 out of 12 matches).

We are still woefully short in options at centre back and up front.

Irrelevant,what has that got to do with the decline of the national team? 

What do you mean irrelevant, he’s pointing out that this current crop of players is no better than the 2008 team which won 8 games in qualifying and therefore we are no further on.

He’s also already pointed out that he thinks the decline is due to poor coaching and other countries being ahead of us in that area.

Your claim that we will make a tournament and this is a good group of players is unfortunately questionable given the horrific campaign we just had. We may well make a tournament but it’s not because we are any better than we were 20 years ago, it’ll be down to the fact it’s much easier to qualify.

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Comparing the current national team to a previous national team is irrelevant in a discussion on the decline of the national team?

That's an interesting view.......

28 minutes ago, Tartantony said:

What do you mean irrelevant, he’s pointing out that this current crop of players is no better than the 2008 team which won 8 games in qualifying and therefore we are no further on.

He’s also already pointed out that he thinks the decline is due to poor coaching and other countries being ahead of us in that area.

Your claim that we will make a tournament and this is a good group of players is unfortunately questionable given the horrific campaign we just had. We may well make a tournament but it’s not because we are any better than we were 20 years ago, it’ll be down to the fact it’s much easier to qualify.

Comparing a team from 12 years ago to now is irrelevant in terms of the decline he posted about, what decline?
If we are in the same position there is no decline,I get my optimism from the year without a defeat under Strachan but  the SFA feck it and appointed McLeish.
Blaming the coaches is just an excuse, it takes all the different parts to come together to be successful. 

Edited by wastecoatwilly