League Reconstruction 20/21 season

4 hours ago, 8GamesToGo said:

Oh aye, and if Hearts had gone straight to arbitration months ago folk would have screamed, "But reconstruction is still on the table!"

Who said anything about “months ago”? 

They could have gone to arbitration on the day they went to court. 

6 minutes ago, King_Of_Kings said:

If Heart's and Partick Thistle's memberships were removed as a punishment can they apply to join another league set up like Northern Ireland or Wales? I've got a Jambo mate that claims he'd love Hearts to join the Northern Irish league as "it's an easy route in to the Champions League". I'm pretty sure if it were that easy to move leagues other clubs in crap leagues would have done it before.

A quick scan of Wikipedia suggests that The New Saints is probably the only club that could be said to be playing in the wrong league as an easy route to European tournaments. Most other teams in the same boat are either nowhere near good enough, or have much more sound reasons for being in a foreign league (like Monaco not having a professional league).

7 minutes ago, King_Of_Kings said:

If Heart's and Partick Thistle's memberships were removed as a punishment can they apply to join another league set up like Northern Ireland or Wales? I've got a Jambo mate that claims he'd love Hearts to join the Northern Irish league as "it's an easy route in to the Champions League". I'm pretty sure if it were that easy to move leagues other clubs in crap leagues would have done it before.

I can't see UEFA or FIFA looking kindly on clubs picking and choosing what national league the play in.

4 minutes ago, King_Of_Kings said:

The only example I could think of a team moving to another league since UEFA competitions were a thing is Derry City.

There have been lots of examples of teams moving to leagues when new countries came into existence, when a load of Welsh clubs moved to the new League of Wales en masse and Gretna moved from the English non-league set up to the Scottish League.

However, Derry were the only example I could think of where a team moved to a league in what is, technically at least, a different country. They played in Northern Ireland but were permitted to join the League of Ireland First Division (basically the second tier of the Republic of Ireland league).

They had to get special dispensation from FIFA and the IFA (that is, the FA for Northern Ireland).

So unless things have changed a club would require special permission from FIFA and the blessing of the FA for the league they were leaving.

It seems pretty unlikely that the SFA would support Hearts in such a move. 

3 hours ago, DC92 said:

I've read Lord Clark's opinion again and, although he makes reference to the severity of the penalties, I'm not 100% clear on that. The reference to the severity of the penalties is in parenthesis. 

"On the advice of responsible counsel, Hearts and Partick Thistle brought these proceeding in court alleging unfair prejudice on that and several other grounds. In my opinion, questions may arise as to whether in that context a bar on raising legal proceedings without the permission of the Board of the SFA, subjecting a club to potentially extreme sanctions..., can be viewed as contrary to public policy and hence unlawful."

In any case, being contractually obliged to go to arbitration and being punished for not doing so initially are two different things.

I guess Hearts and Thistle can take the SFA to court to see if their rules are unlawful.

11 minutes ago, King_Of_Kings said:

4 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

A quick scan of Wikipedia suggests that The New Saints is probably the only club that could be said to be playing in the wrong league as an easy route to European tournaments. Most other teams in the same boat are either nowhere near good enough, or have much more sound reasons for being in a foreign league (like Monaco not having a professional league).

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I can't see UEFA or FIFA looking kindly on clubs picking and choosing what national league the play in.

Keep me right on this, I recall a Scottish team (Clydebank?) wanting to play in the League of Ireland a decade or two ago.

I can't remember how far the idea got.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I suspect it depends why, since there are a lot of instances of teams playing in foreign leagues. Most cases would be teams in border areas, or teams in exclaves, where it's simply more practical in terms of travel and logistics to be in one or other league. Then you have some political issues (Derry FC) making it easier for teams to be in one league or another. And then you have Swansea and Cardiff, who aren't near the border, but play in England, otherwise they'd just beat the other Welsh teams senseless year on year).

I suspect Wales could be a template for an OF move down south.

4 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Keep me right on this, I recall a Scottish team (Clydebank?) wanting to play in the League of Ireland a decade or two ago.

I can't remember how far the idea got.

Did they not want to remain in the Scottish league but play home games in Dublin?

Edited by ribzanelli

5 minutes ago, Bully Wee Villa said:

The only example I could think of a team moving to another league since UEFA competitions were a thing is Derry City.

There have been lots of examples of teams moving to leagues when new countries came into existence, when a load of Welsh clubs moved to the new League of Wales en masse and Gretna moved from the English non-league set up to the Scottish League.

However, Derry were the only example I could think of where a team moved to a league in what is, technically at least, a different country. They played in Northern Ireland but were permitted to join the League of Ireland First Division (basically the second tier of the Republic of Ireland league).

They had to get special dispensation from FIFA and the IFA (that is, the FA for Northern Ireland).

So unless things have changed a club would require special permission from FIFA and the blessing of the FA for the league they were leaving.

It seems pretty unlikely that the SFA would support Hearts in such a move. 

There is no "technically" about it, it is a different country.

The SFA might be glad to be rid of them. But who says the IFA (or any other FA) would accept them?

2 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

I suspect it depends why, since there are a lot of instances of teams playing in foreign leagues.

Which is where it would fall down.

Could be fun though.

UEFA - "Why do you want to join the Irish league?"

Hearts - "So its easier to qualify for the Champions League"

UEFA - "No"

Hearts - "We'll sue you!"

4 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

There is no "technically" about it, it is a different country.

The SFA might be glad to be rid of them. But who says the IFA (or any other FA) would accept them?

Well, they quite possibly wouldn't. But the example I gave was specifically about whether the outgoing association  gave permission. Which Northern Ireland's equivalent of the SFA did in the case of Derry. 

If the SFA don't let them leave, which they wouldn't, then it wouldn't matter the slightest toss whether the League of Ireland, the Kazakhstani Premier or the Grand High Championship of Lapland welcomed them with open arms, they'd have to stay put.

And no need to be so defensive about Derry, but at least you didn't correct my spelling of the city name I suppose 😄

Edited by Bully Wee Villa

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Which is where it would fall down.

Could be fun though.

UEFA - "Why do you want to join the Irish league?"

Hearts - "So its easier to qualify for the Champions League"

UEFA - "No"

Hearts - "We'll sue you!"

If Irish clubs vote against it then I guess they shouldn’t be expecting any players on loan

Just now, ribzanelli said:

If Irish clubs vote against it then I guess they shouldn’t be expecting any players on loan

Or any Hearts fans at their games.

1 minute ago, Yorky said:

Let’s be honest neither club is leaving the Scottish league.

Has a club even imitated that they would? Or is this just spawning from Kickback tears?

1 hour ago, Ric said:

You know what the fun thing about all this is? The SFA wouldn't have done this without getting some pretty rock solid legal advice which means while successful businesswoman Ann Budge might be spitting feathers, it's likely to be a watertight decision.

Watertight ? Have you forgotten, Hearts have Leslie Deans in their corner.