League Reconstruction 20/21 season

If it goes far enough into the end of next year without being able to resume things then I wonder if the SPFL will seriously have to consider just binning off next season completely and planning to start with the current league line-up in 2021/22, then have some sort of one-off "SPFL Special Competition" to fill the gap between us getting the green light to play again and July 2021.

You could maybe play some initial group stages (eg 7 groups of 6) and then use those to divide teams into a set of final group stages to finish off the competition. The final standings would be used to dish out prize money and European places, but wouldn't have any impact on promotion or relegation. No idea if that is feasible, but it would solve a few problems.

Edited by craigkillie

It would probably be easier to just void next season.  Clubs could recruit for the coming season and if possible play some games like you say.  The biggest issue is making sure that clubs survive.  

Some might just come out and say look we need money so buy a season ticket and T-shirt for a non existent season.  Perhaps some sort of discount in future or priority for big games etc.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If it goes far enough into the end of next year without being able to resume things then I wonder if the SPFL will seriously have to consider just binning off next season completely and planning to start with the current league line-up in 2021/22, then have some sort of one-off "SPFL Special Competition" to fill the gap between us getting the green light to play again and July 2021.

You could maybe play some initial group stages (eg 7 groups of 6) and then use those to divide teams into a set of final group stages to finish off the competition. The final standings would be used to dish out prize money and European places, but wouldn't have any impact on promotion or relegation. No idea if that is feasible, but it would solve a few problems.

If it is anything beyond Feb 2021, why not just play the outstanding fixtures and play offs? I don’t see why anyone should either escape their shite form to date (e.g. Hearts, Partick, Brechin) or anyone should miss out on almost having won (e.g. Celtic, Dundee Utd and Cove). And even the the dozen+ nearly- in- the-play-offs teams deserve to settle their own fate. If there’s a few months of virus-free play possible before Feb, then have a sectional league cup and maybe finish off this seasons Scottish Cup? Celtic (and maybe Rangers) will no doubt arrange sone Euro tour on top. 

Edited by Pet Jeden

2 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Because that would save Hearts. We don't want to save Hearts m8, haven't you been listening?

Save Hearts? It might. Or it might not.
I’m trying to understand your irrational frothing. Is it something to do with a fear of McDiarmid Park being ploughed up and returned to agricultural use if there are not 4 visits from the old firm before the next planting season?

I’m trying to understand your irrational frothing. Is it something to do with a fear of McDiarmid Park being ploughed up and returned to agricultural use if there are not 4 visits from the old firm before the next planting season?
giphy.gif?cid=349c9dd78e0171e4f20f2a3127c0205ef0908091f81b99b8&rid=giphy.gif

15 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Dont worry, Saints will survive and would do even without Old Firm fans.

This is down to doing this thing called "spending within our means", which in turns allows us to "make a profit" every so often. 

I understand how that might sound ridiculous to a Hearts fan, but it is a real thing.

Edited by RandomGuy.

21 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Save Hearts? Been there, done that.

Trying to understand my thinking is something I would normally not advise but in this case it's just boredom and alcohol tbh.

As for the other stuff 

214936646_AdorableHandmadeIrishdraughthorse-small(1).gif.43b182c5f19776ce352bd444b37755e7.gif

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

It would probably be easier to just void next season.  Clubs could recruit for the coming season and if possible play some games like you say.  The biggest issue is making sure that clubs survive.  

Some might just come out and say look we need money so buy a season ticket and T-shirt for a non existent season.  Perhaps some sort of discount in future or priority for big games etc.

The sad thing about Scottish Football is there will be plenty of fuds who would happily buy a Season Ticket for a non existence season "cuz it pure supports the club like".

56 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Dont worry, Saints will survive and would do even without Old Firm fans.

This is down to doing this thing called "spending within our means", which in turns allows us to "make a profit" every so often. 

I understand how that might sound ridiculous to a Hearts fan, but it is a real thing.

At least your Chairman knows what he's talking about, even if you don't Random...

"in the face of mounting losses, former Kilmarnock chief executive Kirsten Robertson has been drafted in as head of football operations tasked with slashing the wage bill."

"Brown says Saints are braced for “heavy losses"

“We are in danger of being called hypocrites because we have been fairly outspoken in terms of living within your means"

3 hours ago, CambieBud said:

Mods, the thread should be changed to season 21-22 as it’s clear there will be no football this year

Watching this space for the first Rangers supporter to claim Celtic can't win 10 in a row if 20/21 season doesn't happen.

On 20 April 2020 at 14:22, Lesser Is More said:

The 10 club Premier league was a completely bonkers idea and started to unravel after the first two seasons. They just wouldn't admit it.

The 12 10 10 10 league setup wasn't popular, and hasn't worked either. How many attempts do they need? It's not difficult.

Bigger leagues throughout should be the basis to work from, and if we do get any kind of new season then it should be in preparation for Summer football in 2021.

Ten team league was set up to stop Celtic winning the league every year.

At least your Chairman knows what he's talking about, even if you don't Random...
"in the face of mounting losses, former Kilmarnock chief executive Kirsten Robertson has been drafted in as head of football operations tasked with slashing the wage bill."
“We are in danger of being called hypocrites because we have been fairly outspoken in terms of living within your means"

I'd quit while you're ahead, buddy.

44 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Aye, he says if we dont make the top six then we'll have gone over budget.

One wonders where we'll end up if the leagues finished on average points?

Regardless, we've got a mighty *checks latest accounts* £2.2m in the bank sitting untouched.