League Reconstruction 20/21 season

2 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I know that I’m a simple soul, but I cannot fathom, apart from straw clutching, why the Hearts/Partick Thistle camp are placing such a huge importance on the initial vote to end the lower leagues. The vote had no binding relevance to the Premiership being called. And more importantly even if all 42 clubs had voted for the leagues not to be finished, because of government regulations in Scotland, they would still have to have been finished without playing any further matches and we would still be where we are now. So to me this vote is totally irrelevant to the relegations and promotions which are being disputed. Hopefully the court can see this.  

Simply Partick aren’t in the top league. If all 42 had voted against ending the league we would be doing what all the other leagues are doing now which is finishing the leagues. 

16 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Simply Partick aren’t in the top league. If all 42 had voted against ending the league we would be doing what all the other leagues are doing now which is finishing the leagues

Really?

20 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Simply Partick aren’t in the top league. If all 42 had voted against ending the league we would be doing what all the other leagues are doing now which is finishing the leagues. 

Let me introduce you to a place called Northern Ireland. Their clubs wanted to complete the season, and left the 2019/20 season open as long as they could. UEFA imposed a 3 August deadline to nominate teams for their 2020/21 competitions, which then meant they had run out of time to finish the league. So the Northern Irish league was curtailed last week after all.

If (for argument's sake) Dundee had stuck with their original intention to vote against curtailing 2019/20, we would have ended up curtailing anyway at a later date.

4 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

Let me introduce you to a place called Northern Ireland. Their clubs wanted to complete the season, and left the 2019/20 season open as long as they could. UEFA imposed a 3 August deadline to nominate teams for their 2020/21 competitions, which then meant they had run out of time to finish the league. So the Northern Irish league was curtailed last week after all.

If (for argument's sake) Dundee had stuck with their original intention to vote against curtailing 2019/20, we would have ended up curtailing anyway at a later date.

But the EPL! And so begins the merry dance once more...

As has been noted, anyone who still insists that the league(s) can still be played to a finish is at it or incredibly thick.

Either way, they deserve zero credence and should be roundly ignored.

41 minutes ago, Gorgie greatness said:

where does this 'all the other leagues' thing come from?  Total Twilight Zone stuff.

7 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Did you just ignore the part where I said my question about that wasn't a legal one?

I don't really see the difference. You either believe that Ian Blair and Deloitte lied about the email or you don't. The legal and moral issues are much the same.

9 minutes ago, The DA said:

They always had that power.  The vote was a courtesy.

Are you entirely sure? There was a formal vote - which altered the rules so that it gave the SPFL board the power to end the season early (and actually ended it for tiers 2-4), and then there was a consultation in May prior to the board doing the actual ending of the Premiership season, which looks more like the 'courtesy' vote.

Maybe the SPFL had exceptional powers before the April vote to unilaterally end the season and ignore rule C14 about how a season is 38 games, but I doubt it. It's not obvious from my very brief skim of the articles of association.

Edited by Aim Here

10 minutes ago, The DA said:

They always had that power.  The vote was a courtesy.

Yes but the vote covered all 4 leagues, just that the Premiership held off as UEFA hadn't made clear their position on ending the leagues at that point. The vote was absolutely relevant to the Premiership.

Edited by Dons_1988

3 minutes ago, Aim Here said:

Are you entirely sure? There was a formal vote - which altered the rules so that it gave the SPFL board the power to end the season early (and actually ended it for tiers 2-4), and then there was a consultation in May prior to the board doing the actual ending of the season, which looks more like the 'courtesy' vote.

Maybe the SPFL had exceptional powers before the April vote to unilaterally end the season and ignore rule C14 about how a season is 38 games, but I doubt it. It's not obvious from my very brief skim of the articles of association.

I assumed 103.9 from the Articles gave them the power.

Capture.PNG

11 minutes ago, The DA said:

I assumed 103.9 from the Articles gave them the power.

Capture.PNG

Fair enough - though changing the rules via a General Meeting or Written Resolution would probably be the manner provided for the current situation within the rules, and only if those fail to cope with the situation would your clause fit in.  I reckon your clause would be more amenable to being overturned by a Judicial Review or Court of Arbitration if they picked that option first.

1 hour ago, Gorgie greatness said:

How many times! No we wouldn’t. We can’t play football until 1st August at the earliest at the behest of the government. UEFA need the names of each country’s Champions League and Europa League representatives by 3rd August, meaning that if we did restart last season’s Premiership on 1st August Scotland would have no representatives in Europe next season. This is why Ireland had to back down on trying to finish last season. It couldn’t be done.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

It did, it gave the SPFL board the power to call the Premiership.

You’re playing with words here. The reality is that the SPFL said that they wouldn’t call the Premiership without a vote by the 12 clubs, which is what happened.