League Reconstruction 20/21 season

17 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

If you don’t seriously think that having our top league split after 26 games is not horrendous then you’re fooling yourself.

I believe that you're overplaying the impact slightly.

Spoiler

image.png.c6cb4cc81c90fc367792323e14546a0d.png

Imagine Heart of Seethelothian fans trying to convince other supporters that our clubs should back reconstruction from a point of self-interest, when for 300 odd pages they've been almost incandescent with frustration that the clubs have been viewing this from a position of self interest.

What's even funnier is that successful businesswoman Ann Budge's barely concealed ferment coupled with her previous mealy-mouthed words about lower league clubs, scuppered the very setup she is desperate for now.

All in all, this has been a brilliant sideshow from the misery of what is happening in the real world. If there is truth about the BBC documentary, then I honestly cannot wait to see it in it's full 'slow motion car crash' glory.

Edited by Ric
..minor typo

I don't really see how that's relevant to a discussion of the relative merits of a league of 12, 14, or 16.
We either have a thread about it or we don't. You've got a choice which posts you read and bother with and which you don't.
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Did you stumble out of the reconstruction committee into the wrong forum m9?

Guest JTS98
36 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

A couple of things.

Do you understand the word hypothetical?

If you don’t seriously think that having our top league split after 26 games is not horrendous then you’re fooling yourself.

That's a disingenuous response because you weren't asking a purely hypothetical question.

You were trying to make a point about a real argument that is taking place now.

Comparing an unusual situation to a normal situation is disingenuous.

More free money coming

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-benefactor-james-anderson-give-more-cash-spfl-after-ps31m-deal-2879907

“A new restricted fund will be set up, The Anderson Fund, which will be used to fund new projects, which demonstrate a positive impact on health, attainment, or inclusion as well as any general related support during the Covid-19 crisis. Details of this will also follow.

Maybe i'm missing something, but I still cannot see how 11 top flight teams will vote 'yes' for the proposal - I could see a few abstentions which would scupper this straight off.

As was said earlier by one of the chairman it's a bit pointless the Championship, L1 and L2 teams even thinking about this until they know if the Premiership will actually go for it given the % of the teams there that need to vote for the change. 

We'll know by Monday one way or another as unless there is a decent certainty that the proposal would pass I don't think we'd even see the EGM being held..

13 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

That's a disingenuous response because you weren't asking a purely hypothetical question.

Your argument seems to have become 14 teams isn't that bad and we're in an unusual situation so lets just go with it.

Apparently the SPFL want to talk to Cormack as he is considering a U turn.  If this is true I don’t think many will be surprised.  

Source is The Sun from BBC Gossip so a few holes in the reliability. 

15 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

16 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

Aye ok. It’s a waste of time trying to get a Hearts supporter to see sense at this time, I completely understand. I may be of the same kind if Aberdeen were in your position. Wouldn’t make it right though.

52 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

A couple of things.

Do you understand the word hypothetical?

Always embarrassing when you have a pop at somebody's English, only to fck up yourself, eh Joey?

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Why dont we just keep Dundee United down, I mean they didnt actually win promotion.

Thats my prediction for Budges next move.

We should never have been relegated in the first place. It was frankly irresponsible of the governing bodies and other member clubs to allow such a big team to be relegated.

Glad to see others taking a stand now 

Edited by invergowrie arab

24 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

More free money coming

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/hearts-benefactor-james-anderson-give-more-cash-spfl-after-ps31m-deal-2879907

“A new restricted fund will be set up, The Anderson Fund, which will be used to fund new projects, which demonstrate a positive impact on health, attainment, or inclusion as well as any general related support during the Covid-19 crisis. Details of this will also follow.

I wonder how much we can squeeze out of Anderson and Hearts before we allow them back in to play with the big boys ?

£3 million is clearly not enough, what's the next offer ?

2 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Why dont we just keep Dundee United down, I mean they didnt actually win promotion.

Thats my prediction for Budges next move.

Actually, that solution is every bit as logical and fair as the "call it as it stands" solution that the SPFL board pushed. And I do hope it is one of the remedies that Hearts go for in any court case. Might focus some club's minds on a "do minimal harm" solution, warts and all.

3 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Might focus some club's minds on a "do minimal harm" solution, warts and all.

How can you hold up the threat of court action as having any weight? Successful businesswoman Ann Budge has been flying that particular kite for over a month now and yet it's not had any effect.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

I see that point, but I don't think this would happen every season to the same club, and I don't think it would have the devastating effect on supports some are claiming.

Would Ross County fans really be devastated with a season or two of mid-table top-flight football? I doubt it. It would be among the best seasons they've ever had. Same stands for Accies. And I think St Mirren fans might find it fine when they've recently faced backs-to-the-wall relegation battles. Being mid-table is not the worst thing in the world. There are football clubs the world over who routinely finish mid-table, win nothing, but do fine.

People go to the football to see their mates. They go because they like watching football. They go because it's a hobby. I don't think St Johnstone's fans would all bin it because they had the odd season with a boring couple of months.

People talk as if this would be condemning certain clubs to a completely pointless existence. That's just not the case. St Johnstone will finish most seasons in positions other than 7th. So will everybody else.

You might be best not using us as an example. Our best seasons come when we’ve got something to play for (and look as if we’re trying). So great season, getting promotion to the top division, cup runs, top six finish. Meh, out of the cup early, bottom six finish. To have a situation when we’re floating about the middle most years without the hope of going up, fewer games against the better teams doesn’t float my boat. More importantly it won’t attract the casual fans who make the difference in terms of attendance.