League Reconstruction 20/21 season

14 teams isn’t my preference for the top league but I also understand there’s absolutely no chance of a bigger league than that. If we can’t stay as we are 14 teams on a permanent basis and no Colts is the least worst option. Would be good to get more more information on a possible euro playoff, the actual playoffs and relegation in a 14 team league.

Just now, JamesM82 said:

To be fair, the Budge plan for 14 teams* said that 7th place (i.e. top of the bottom eight) would then go into a playoff for one of the European places. So the teams in the upper part of the bottom eight could still have something to play for.

(* I don't know if this is in the new plan)

That would be absolutely awful.

We barely fit 38 games into the schedule this season, and next season is likely to be complete mess with the Euros to wedge in at the end.

Adding more games in isnt workable.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

We barely fit 38 games into the schedule this season, and next season is likely to be complete mess with the Euros to wedge in at the end.

Agreed, more games isn't an option. The schedule is already ridiculously rammed.

You'd need to scrap the winter break and still be playing a large number of midweek games.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

True, but it was only really Celtic and Rangers that were having difficulty fitting in 38 games because of their extended runs in Europe. Most of the rest had plenty of free midweeks. Celtic and Rangers would almost certainly play two less league games under the 14 team structure, because the top 6 would only be playing 36 games.

Just now, JamesM82 said:

True, but it was only really Celtic and Rangers that were having difficulty fitting in 38 games because of their extended runs in Europe. Most of the rest had plenty of free midweeks. Celtic and Rangers would almost certainly play two less league games under the 14 team structure, because the top 6 would only be playing 36 games.

They wouldnt have their two free weeks until after the split.

Issue this season was St Johnstone (bottom half) v Rangers (top half) being postponed in October, and not having a date by March.

In the new set up that would be, indisputably, played after the split. As nothing else changes until the split.

Also, Steve Brown has somehow come out as an even bigger fanny than Budge.

He wants a 5 team league set up, with every top flight side getting a Colt/B team parachuted into League 3, with "one or two" HL/LL sides put into the division.

An absolute fanny of a man.

Causes a whole load of problems that 'split' doesn't it? Yet you all seem obsessed with it. There's got  to be one. 

There's a simple solution :)

Start the countdown to the 'meaningless' games argument. 

3,2,1.........go. 

2 x 13 pre-split, 2 x 7 post-split, 2 x 1 euro play off (or bigger) = 42 games?  A team involved in this could be in the cup final too or is that being reserved for clubs that only play 36 games?

Fixture congestion?

2 minutes ago, Lofarl said:

So what can Hibs or Aberdeen bribe if they find themselves bottom next season?

Given both of our records against Hearts I think we could argue that Hearts being unfairly promoted to the league caused our relegation and we will go all the way to the courts to fight our EXPULSION.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

They wouldnt have their two free weeks until after the split.

Issue this season was St Johnstone (bottom half) v Rangers (top half) being postponed in October, and not having a date by March.

In the new set up that would be, indisputably, played after the split. As nothing else changes until the split.

IIRC that postponement was caused by the League Cup semis. Move those back to the second half of the season, problem solved.

4 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Causes a whole load of problems that 'split' doesn't it? Yet you all seem obsessed with it. There's got  to be one. 

There's a simple solution :)

Start the countdown to the 'meaningless' games argument. 

3,2,1.........go. 

I have no issues with a split that triggers a 5 game play off, short and sharp.

A split halfway through the season is more akin to that 8 - 8 - 8 idea 

Edited by ropy

8 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

If prize money, TV money, sponsorship money etc has to be split 44 ways instead of 42, how much would each club stand to lose on average? Would it perchance be circa £50k?

I thought about that out before I posted, as I suspected the same thing.

Looking at the current distribution list, if the sliding scale of prize money was to continue for two additional clubs, they’d be looking at 0.17% and 0.16% which combines to make a total £82,500 p.a. that the new clubs would be due.  The uplift from the new TV deal maybe brings that up to the high 80s.

So on the face of it, the existing clubs would be losing an average of £2-3k per year but it’ll all depend on how the distribution model is rejigged. As while clubs 43 + 44 seem to have a marginal effect, any increases to the prize money for clubs 13 + 14 - and whether that’s recovered from clubs 1-12 or 15-42 (or 44), or a mixture of both - will have a much bigger effect.

Thats without considering the gate receipts that League 1 clubs could lose out on from e.g. Falkirk and Partick Thistle, and Championship clubs from e.g. Hearts (assuming we have some fans in seats this year, or that these clubs are at that level in years to come).

A 14 team league, if thought about logically and not with blinkers on, is obviously too many. The largest small league that is workable is what we have now, 12. If that is to be increased, the only acceptable number of teams would be 18, as both 14 and 16 are unworkable. But the problem with 18 is that we wouldn’t have a Sky deal as they wouldn’t accept only two Celtic v Rangers league matches per season. So we are stuck with the 12 team league. Anyone that can’t see that a 14 or 16 team league is unworkable belongs to the population in the country inhabited by the Emperor and his new clothes.

3 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

I thought about that out before I posted, as I suspected the same thing.

Looking at the current distribution list, if the sliding scale of prize money was to continue for two additional clubs, they’d be looking at 0.17% and 0.16% which combines to make a total £82,500 p.a. that the new clubs would be due.  The uplift from the new TV deal maybe brings that up to the high 80s.

So on the face of it, the existing clubs would be losing an average of £2-3k per year but it’ll all depend on how the distribution model is rejigged. As while clubs 43 + 44 seem to have a marginal effect, any increases to the prize money for clubs 13 + 14 - and whether that’s recovered from clubs 1-12 or 15-42 (or 44), or a mixture of both - will have a much bigger effect.

Thats without considering the gate receipts that League 1 clubs could lose out on from e.g. Falkirk and Partick Thistle, and Championship clubs from e.g. Hearts (assuming we have some fans in seats this year, or that these clubs are at that level in years to come).

One things for sure the winners of Premiership cut won’t be changed, same as lat time when they changed the prize money 

4 minutes ago, Morton Supporter said:

any increases to the prize money for clubs 13 + 14 - and whether that’s recovered from clubs 1-12 or 15-42 (or 44), or a mixture of both - will have a much bigger effect.

Correct - the difference between current 12th and 13th/14th is over £500k, and will need another £1m + to sort it out (i.e. to ensure the winner of the Championship isnt worse off next year, and the 13th and 14th Premiership are compensated in a linear way as with current bottom 6).

That money has to come from somewhere.

image.png.a4c3cd39d348ad6b8edffa96e60d7823.png