League Reconstruction 20/21 season

2 hours ago, Lobby Dossar said:

Why would he want to leave ……… there paying him 4.5k a week for the next 3 years ……… great business model 

That’s certainly the problem and why he will end up just loaned out from one club to another. Rangers would want a fee which they won’t get so he ends up cashing in while his career slowly goes down the pan, not the first and won’t be the last.

4 hours ago, DumbartonBud said:

He was actually dumped by Rangers as a youth before he could get near a Colts team, taken on and developed by St Mirren before being taken by Celtic and left on the bench. 

An ideal example of why kids shouldn’t be near the OF. 

Morgan is a terrible example of the myth you are trying to peddle. I have already named a team of  internationals in the past twenty years on this thread that came from Celtic youth development but given now you have casted the net wider..

Morgan signed for us and in that time got to play in England, got Scotland caps, started a cup,final, played and scored in Europe and has now secured a move abroad along with some medals. All in about 18 months, that is certainly not the worst development for the guy given we signed him from the Scottish championship.

Edited by gannonball

Jambos will be getting their hopes up again, as the French courts have suspended the relegation of Amiens and Toulouse from Ligue 1. Although the court also chucked out the complaints of Lyon, who were saying that the 2019/20 season shouldn't have been stopped and that they could have still qualified for Europe. 

Feck knows what that all means. I guess the French league will try to negotiate a bigger league to include Amiens and Toulouse for 2020/21. But who knows what happens if that can't be agreed (as in Scotland).

The key difference that will no doubt be forgotten by those for reconstruction is that the LFP imposed their decision on all of the clubs, whereas the SPFL put it to a vote (albeit a messy one) that passed and gave them the majority of clubs' permission to finish the season for the leagues early, as well as the precedent to finish the Premiership early. Therefore, I don't see the two situations being synonymous, and don't think it'll add much to any legal argument, though it is just my opinion. It will however this stupid fucking debate is prolonged for another week or two or forever.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The other difference is that we're not in France.

That's true, we're not. But yer man Doncaster was only too happy to refer to France as a justification - when it suited him.

“The French league have done what we did, they have drawn a line under the season on a points-per-game basis"

Just now, Pet Jeden said:

That's true, we're not. But yer man Doncaster was only too happy to refer to France as a justification - when it suited him.

“The French league have done what we did, they have drawn a line under the season on a points-per-game basis"

It's not done Hearts case any damage, that's for sure. 

2 hours ago, Bazil85 said:

Only three of those players have been developed through Celtics youth academy and made an impact in the Scottish national squad (equal to the number of St Mirren youth graduates in Scotland squads over the last year). Plenty of examples of players that fall away when trying to reach the higher level.  

Just highlighting promising young players that Celtic were able to sign or young players that haven't made it yet doesn't really progress your point. Celtic and Rangers youth academy over the last 15-20 years has been largely a failure. That includes Rangers playing at the levels the colts would be, where are all these promising young players now? 

You seem to be making a good argument for having colt/B teams in the lower leagues.
It's not just up to Celtic to provide players like you said the need for more young talent is obvious, the status quo isn't working.
Whats more important winning trophies or bleeding young talent it's very hard to get the balance right.
Celtic spent a lot of dosh on the youth setup so it needs to produce for me it's getting better but still needs to improve.

29 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

The key difference that will no doubt be forgotten by those for reconstruction is that the LFP imposed their decision on all of the clubs, whereas the SPFL put it to a vote (albeit a messy one) that passed and gave them the majority of clubs' permission to finish the season for the leagues early, as well as the precedent to finish the Premiership early. Therefore, I don't see the two situations being synonymous, and don't think it'll add much to any legal argument, though it is just my opinion. It will however this stupid fucking debate is prolonged for another week or two or forever.

I'm sure the vote was taken to strengthen the SPFL's hand in any potential court case, but I very much doubt the outcome in France hinged on the fact that no vote took place, otherwise they'd be forced into holding a vote now, not reconstructing (as the headlines I've seen seem to imply).

As has been pointed out, the more salient point is probably that it's a different legal system and a different league body.

ETA: I just read a bit more and it seems the relegations are just suspended rather than blocked, so maybe it will go to a vote.

Edited by DC92

5 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I'm sure the vote was taken to strengthen the SPFL's hand in any potential court case, but I very much doubt the outcome in France hinged on the fact that no vote took place, otherwise they'd be forced into holding a vote now, not reconstructing (as the headlines I've seen seem to imply).

As has been pointed out, the more salient point is probably that it's a different legal system and a different league body.

Although the report I've read says that the relegations of Amiens and Toulouse are only suspended, i.e. they might still be relegated if the French bodies are unable to agree a format that includes those two extra teams for 2020/21. French league tried to argue in court that they couldn't expand because they have a contract with the French federation (FA) to have a 20-team league, but the court said that wasn't relevant because that contract expires on June 30th. So if the French federation come back and say that the league has to have 20 teams, there won't be room for Amiens or Toulouse.

Very little of this seems relevant to Scotland, other than the simple principle of relegating based on a shortened season.

Edited by JamesM82

49 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Morgan is a terrible example of the myth you are trying to peddle. I have already named a team of  internationals in the past twenty years on this thread that came from Celtic youth development but given now you have casted the net wider..

Morgan signed for us and in that time got to play in England, got Scotland caps, started a cup,final, played and scored in Europe and has now secured a move abroad along with some medals. All in about 18 months, that is certainly not the worst development for the guy given we signed him from the Scottish championship.

No myth peddling here, given the resources and pull that the OF have on young players their record at producing top players is woeful. 

Many of the OF players are capped just because they are OF players so your ‘team of internationalists’ is pretty irrelevant. 

Allowing the OF to have colt teams in the league so that they can secure future talent for Scotland as is proposed is perpetuating the mistakes of recent times. 

We need fewer young players going there not more.