League Reconstruction 20/21 season

56 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's nothing at all appealing about it to bottom six Premiership clubs - less prize money for no tangible benefit.

It's hypothetical as the prize money breakdown would presumably have to be agreed but it may be to these teams' long-term benefit if they believe they have a greater chance of staying up. Hover around 12th collecting +£1m and Old Firm money for eternity rather than drop into the Championship abyss and suffer the massive income loss. 

I imagine the 'decreased' prize money could still represent a small increase from season 19/20 as well, given the new TV deal.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

There's nothing at all appealing about it to bottom six Premiership clubs - less prize money for no tangible benefit.

Don't forget less gate money too from bottom 8 games..

42 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm too thick, how would it affect Clyde? Apart from the bung.

It is financially a bad move for us ( and everyone else in that division). Getting ourselves out of the bottom league was going to help us due to away crowds being more than a mini bus and Falkirk and PT have and will do that. Losing them means only Airdrie bring any sort of support and budgets have to be trimmed again as no one was expecting reconstruction in March. It would be good if we were in a position to ignore that, but we aren't and I would think that is true of several others.

4 minutes ago, SouthLanarkshireWhite said:

It is financially a bad move for us ( and everyone else in that division). Getting ourselves out of the bottom league was going to help us due to away crowds being more than a mini bus and Falkirk and PT have and will do that. Losing them means only Airdrie bring any sort of support and budgets have to be trimmed again as no one was expecting reconstruction in March. It would be good if we were in a position to ignore that, but we aren't and I would think that is true of several others.

Fair enough. Nice to have someone appreciating having Falkirk in the league!

I wouldn't have minded Clyde supporting a 14-10-10-10 at the start of this. It is still very much a joke that teams were relegated. We would also have been in a division where we would have a fighting chance of the promotion playoffs.

However, given that no-one has shown any solidarity with ourselves with their nonsense 14-14-14 and colts proposals, I would hope at this stage we would vote no. It will be a financial victory and also an enjoyable one (that's directed at Budge) if status quo is maintained.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Would guess they will add the PPG approach explicitly into the rules from next season onwards.

Wonder how many teams will over-water the pitch for some tactical postponements of games they expect to lose.

It's the level of pettiness I would 100% support.

14 fundamentally doesn’t work for me, would rather have 16, play 15 x 2 then seven after a split.

14 has a split far too early in the season then it’s lopsided whatever you do after that.

Edited by ropy

I also can't see 14 working very well. You either get a split of 7/7 where you've got 1 team left out each week, or you get a split of 8/6 where some teams in the league play more times than others.

The way it is is fine for now. Don't have a problem with reconstruction but only if it's actually given proper consideration over some time and not just forced through because some fake-posh Edinburgh c***s are moaning like f**k.

41 minutes ago, ropy said:

14 fundamentally doesn’t work for me, would rather have 16, play 15 x 2 then seven after a split.

14 has a split far too early in the season then it’s lopsided whatever you do after that.

I liked the mad Belgian Jupiter League thing that everyone slagged off for being to complicated. Think they dropped it.

5 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If Celtic hoover up all the young talent why do we still shop in the Scottish market?

Because your youth system isn't particularly good at identifying who will make it?

Times is saying today that the reconstruction plans are doomed, and claiming that the SPFL board will move on from them at a board meeting tomorrow morning (Wednesday). 

"The governing body will hold a board meeting tomorrow morning and the chief executive, Neil Doncaster, is expected to discourage any further talk of reconstruction for the coming campaign, and send a message that the focus now must be on planning for a 12-team top tier to start on August 1."

Rangers are apparently "relaxed about the time frame" for their plan, i.e. it wouldn't have been able to start in 2020/21 anyway due to the pandemic, and were "encouraged" by the "generally positive reaction" to it. Although obviously not having enough support to be voted through now.

2020/21 fixture list can't be finalised until UEFA say what they're doing with their competitions - they're supposed to be having a meeting next Wednesday.

Championship clubs are "close to agreement" on a short season (either 18 or 27 games) starting in October. Nothing on the two lower leagues yet. Championship teams will still get their share of the collective pot in August.

2 million from Anderson likely to be paid/received this week.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scotland/hearts-moves-for-change-doomed-lz3zpf8jp

10 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

You really think they're relevant comparisons?

Given that they're all professional football leagues with a container ship's load of 'dead rubber games', they quite obviously are.

6 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

If Celtic hoover up all the young talent why do we still shop in the Scottish market?

Because in many cases, per my story above, young players and/or their families get so annoyed with the situation with Celtic or Rangers that they move while still young.

That doesnt mean that Celtic or Rangers cant or wont pay for that player several years later.

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Because they discard 95% of their youth players there are only there, as has been said previously as jersey fillers 

And both Celtic and Rangers shop in the Scottish market to weaken other teams to weaken them so that they are not a  challenge to them

Clubs voting for colts is chucking their youth policy and scotlands national game in the bin for a few pennies.
It's already been proven that teams will wipe the floor with them in the challenge cup.
As stated they ruin hundreds of youth players careers every season. Every team can think of at least one player who moved there and disappeared when they were at a very promising part of their career. This will just allow them to strip teams of any young talent and then hoover up anyone decent to rot on their bench.
Look at Lewis Morgan, total waste.

Given that they're all professional football leagues with a container ship's load of 'dead rubber games', they quite obviously are.

Even ignoring their top league in 16 years working down south I’ve never heard any fans of English League 1 or 2 teams crying about meaningless games and wanting smaller divisions 24 teams in that division. The reality is playing each team 4 times a season is utterly shite but the top division smaller clubs are too reliant on away gates from the Ugly Sisters.