League Reconstruction 20/21 season

10 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

We should follow the Brazilian setup.

I really like the way they do promotion from the non-league into Serie C as it happens. If that means having 32 leagues based on council divisions to start the season each year so be it. Means we have a 16 team league but the Glasgow Premier League will still give the telly company their 4 Old Firm games a season.

36 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Eredivisie, amongst others, has a play off for European places. No reason we couldn't do that to keep things interesting.

16 team league (for instance)

Top 2 UCL qualifiers
3rd: EL qualifier
4th: ECL qualifier
5th-8th - Play off for last ECL place.
9th-10th - meh
11th-14th relegation play off
15th-16th relegated

I'm sure I've mentioned on here before that a few years ago, Scottish Hockey attempted a "no dead rubbers"-type league. The top four went into the European play-offs, the bottom team got relegated, and the other 5 went  into the relegation play-offs with the 2nd placed team in D2.

Grove Menzieshill had missed out on the European playoffs by a point, and ended up getting relegated, losing the final play-off game to local rivals Dundee Wanderers, who had only won about 3 games all season until that point.

Utter carnage.

2 hours ago, FTOF said:

Fucking pish idea, which keeps rearing its ugly head. Apparently on the premise, that you say it enough times it will happen.

Get it to fuck along with any self centred, ill-timed reconstruction shite.

The only reason that it keeps rearing it’s head is that Rangers and Celtic want to hover up all the young talent in the hope that they hit gold dust with 1 or 2

The rest of the are just collateral damage to there objective and in all probability will be lost to the game 

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm sure I've mentioned on here before that a few years ago, Scottish Hockey attempted a "no dead rubbers"-type league. The top four went into the European play-offs, the bottom team got relegated, and the other 5 went  into the relegation play-offs with the 2nd placed team in D2.

Grove Menzieshill had missed out on the European playoffs by a point, and ended up getting relegated, losing the final play-off game to local rivals Dundee Wanderers, who had only won about 3 games all season until that point.

Utter carnage.

Utter Carnage is what makes sport great. I'm in... just tell sky to f**k off with their 4 shitfests and make it happen.

13 minutes ago, ropy said:

Where would Rangers young foreigners play?

In the first team, obvs -  the colts team is just for shitey underdeveloped Scottish players to get a kicking by older guys in the lowest division.....................which then allows them to moan that "Scottish Football is holding them back" and they lobby to join some made up Atlantic league shite and parachute their "cunolts" team into the Premiership.

57 minutes ago, staggy4life said:

Uncle Roy saying no to any reconstruction as he thinks it's now too late for any change before the new season. Good lad.

The virtuous triumvirate of Ross County, Hibs (you'd assume) and, hopefully, St Mirren getting this absolute pish in the bin.

Then Hearts can get on with claiming their £3-5m compo.

giphy (2).gif

If this was forced through it should not be hidden behind reconstruction, there would still be four leagues and colts should not be able to rise above the third level.  Equally no club should be able to enter two teams in the same competition. Plus if any club transitions to another (English) league system then all of their teams go with them.

1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Eredivisie, amongst others, has a play off for European places. No reason we couldn't do that to keep things interesting.

16 team league (for instance)

Top 2 UCL qualifiers
3rd: EL qualifier
4th: ECL qualifier
5th-8th - Play off for last ECL place.
9th-10th - meh
11th-14th relegation play off
15th-16th relegated

Is there not only 4 european places? And one is reserved for the winners of the Scottish Cup, so theres no guarantee 4th would get it.

Your play off for a European place would presumably be 3rd-7th. Ridiculous to think a team finishing mid-table (7 out of 16) can make Europe ahead of a team who finished 3rd.

EDIT: Forgot about the ridiculous new "Conference League", so ignore this.

The same applies for the idea of relegating 11th while 14th survives.

I agree with the suggestion a larger league would kill my interest, the drop off in quality from to the 17th best side (this season it was Abroath), is so stark I'd be surprised if it didnt end up just the same 4 or 5 sides swapping between divisions, while 6th-14th just spend their time endlessly swapping position in mid-table.

At least a 12 team division gives you no room for error. Any team outwith the OF/Aberdeen have a poor season and relegation is a real possibility, add in some dross below these clubs and the threat vanishes.

Edited by RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, TheScarf said:

How is it relevant exactly?  Explain to me why every single game in the Scottish Premiership needs to 'mean something;?

Every single game my club plays in matters to me and I’m sure others feel the same, even when I’m playing Fifa or FM the Kilmarnock results matter to me. That’s sadly true. 

If we had an 18 or 20 team league and my team and Motherwell (to give a realistic example) were sitting in no danger of relegation nor have a chance of Europe but were close to each other in the league with 5 games to go you can be sure those last 5 games and the chance to finish above a rival means something to me.

Puts a bit of the onus on clubs to make an effort to draw crowds. I’m not an advocate of the cheesy stuff like the samba dancers I remember at a European decider against St Johnstone but at least in the late 90s our board used to try to create excitement and atmosphere at Rugby Park. Results always helped of course but we were drawing in big crowds back in those days. 

For me, if we were going to see reconstruction it should only be for a league that allows you two games a season against each club. The OF factor seems to scupper that but in my view it’s really short term thinking from the tv companies. It’s surely in Sky’s interest for Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen, Dundee Utd to flourish and create their own tv viewing figures? Sadly that is a gamble that will probably never be allowed to be taken.

I don’t understand why anything thinks that some kind of magic wand will be waved at this 4x fixtures against each other and magically it will become the best thing ever overnight. I just can’t see it.

Football has changed massively of course and you won’t get Aberdeen beating Real Madrid in a European final any time soon but it’s worth remembering that the 80s success came (I think I’m right, haven’t checked l) just a few years after the reconstruction into smaller leagues? Maybe it wasn’t the size of the league that created that, maybe it was just the change and the freshness in Scottish football towards the late 70s that led to the success in the 80s?  

23 hours ago, gannonball said:

Well no that was ones who became internationals,there will be dozens who have played in the first team. We have a very decent record considering the general quality of our team and the pressure to win every week.

In terms of a policy It does look like we are getting more promising players from down south, I think because we generally offer opportunities if your good enough we have managed to poach players from Arsenal and Southampton where they might be ‘jersey fillers’ there.

As for the colt thing I wouldn’t have minded trying it but given the backlash on here for it I don’t  wish fans of other teams in the lower leagues to stop going to the football over it. Clearly there feelings on it are much stronger than mine and it wouldn’t be right. The development loan system will suffice for me.

Isn't that what these colt teams are for, to improve the national side? "Dozens" of others never made it to the national side, so that's kind of irrelevant.

21 hours ago, Aylo vanal said:

Cove would go into the third bottom tier of Scottish football, not the same as they will without reconstruction so how are they are worse off. 

Just now, Jacksgranda said:

Isn't that what these colt teams are for, to improve the national side? "Dozens" of others never made it to the national side, so that's kind of irrelevant.

Nah that is about as believable as Ann Budge claiming that her league reconstruction was for the good of scottish football. 

The poster Initially said how many actually became internationals from Celtic developing them in past 20 years so I pointed out nearly a teams worth, then he said so celtic are only producing a player for there own team every two years which wasn’t strictly true.

51 minutes ago, ropy said:

If this was forced through it should not be hidden behind reconstruction, there would still be four leagues and colts should not be able to rise above the third level.  Equally no club should be able to enter two teams in the same competition. Plus if any club transitions to another (English) league system then all of their teams go with them.

No conditions, no negotiations. Dossier not to be touched, not even to the bin without being opened, is the right course of action.

7 hours ago, AberdeenHibee said:

Absolutely.  The fact that all of the Jambos have quoted legal action and not a single one has managed to even muddle together what basis they are making it. 

Equivalent to me saying I am away out to marry Kate Beckinsale.  By all means I can try and slide into her instagram DMs and  offer to drop down on one knee, but on what possible basis would she want to go out with an Aberdeen-based Hibee/I have absolutely no grounds to do so.  Complete and utter fantasy land.    

Don't be so hard on yourself.

7 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

After all that do you honestly think he would've stayed in the colts team?
Celtic set out a career path for him to move through the leagues and gave him all the opportunities to play.
If you think he would've stayed in the colt/B team then you're thicker than two short planks. 
Plus at the same time Celtic had Liam Henderson in a similar position winning the Scottish cup for Hibs. 

High praise indeed, coming from you.