League Reconstruction 20/21 season

The only significance to this Rangers plan is that it looks like a permanent proposal, rather than a Budge-style temporary adjustment. It suggests Rangers might be willing to support a permanent change, if they get something in return. 

Before now it looked like any plan was doomed because there was a bloc of Premiership teams (Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen) who were opposed to permanent change, and a bigger bloc that were opposed to temporary change. Obviously this Rangers plan would have a lot of difficulty passing as the BBC describe it, but it may be a starting point for negotiation. Say permanent 14-10-10-10, with strategic partnerships rather than reserve/B/colt teams.

Edited by JamesM82

Motherwell have a better record than most when it comes to bring through players from the youth team. I still wouldn't want them playing in the league set up. Get this shite in the bin next to the blue pound , operation stop 10 in a row and we're leaving to join the Atlantic league. More old firm pish that is neither wanted nor needed

6 minutes ago, JamesM82 said:

The only significance to this Rangers plan is that it looks like a permanent proposal, rather than a Budge-style temporary adjustment. It suggests Rangers might be willing to support a permanent change, if they get something in return. 

Before now it looked like any plan was doomed because there was a bloc of Premiership teams (Rangers, Celtic, Aberdeen) who were opposed to permanent change, and a bigger bloc that were opposed to temporary change. Obviously this Rangers plan would have a lot of difficulty passing as the BBC describe it, but it may be a starting point for negotiation. Say permanent 14-10-10-10, with strategic partnerships rather than reserve/B/colt teams.

The b teams part is all rangers care about tho. The rest is just padded out with little thought to try and get others on board.

A permanent 14 team top league would be awful unless they relegated/promoted more teams and somehow fixed the awful split situation to avoid mid table sides being left with half a season of meaningless games, the Budge Euro playoff thing could be an answer but even that doesn’t appeal to me all that much. 

Edited by Zing.

A permanent 14 team top league would be awful unless they relegated/promoted more teams and somehow fixed the awful split situation to avoid mid table sides being left with half a season of meaningless games, the Budge Euro playoff thing could be an answer but even that doesn’t appeal to me all that much. 

The 6/8 split is batshit. You've got an additional 4 games to fit in for the bottom 8 clubs scheduled from February going on the current calendar. There's a decent chance of cancellations in Scotland in both February and March.

At least if it was a 7/7 split the calendar would be aligned between both half of the league. That raises the issue that 2 clubs wouldn't have a game each round of fixtures, but the top 6 clubs wouldn't have fixtures in 4 separate game days anyway. 7/7 at least gives one additional club higher away supports too.

I have never understood the logic that playing young players in our bottom league will somehow turn then in to international standard players.

Celtic and Sevco already have players on loan throughout the leagues. At a push roughly 1 of those might, at some point in the future, play for Scotland, and that's a goalkeeper.

Also, to the guys who was shrieking about the Scotland national team, not all of the Celtic and Sevco youth players are Scottish. We had an Irish guy on loan from Celtic at the start of the year (and I sincerely doubt he'll ever see a cap for the full Irish squad).

This garbage proposal would actively harm youth development in Scotland, as it would lead to the hoarding of players just to fill out a squad. Players won't be forced to go elsewhere and work harder for their opportunities. There will be far too guys who think they've made it if they turned out for a Celtic or Sevco B side rather than being released and made to really think about how much they want it and if they're willing to put the work in (obvious example being Robertson).

Colt teams! Kill this idea with fire and get it in the sea for good this time.

The only game that would see a crowd is Rangers Colts v Celtic Colts as 6-7 chances to hurl bigotry at each other isn’t enough for the knuckle-draggers in both supports. Guaranteed the lower league televised games would involve the Colts too as while they won’t go to the games the armchair Old Firm fans will watch it, so less televised game for everyone else like the Premiership sees.

As for the help the National team bullshit (like either club gives a shit), travelled to watch Scotland home and away for nearly 20 years and not once heard a fan say “you know what would make us a force, Old Firm Colt teams in the lower leagues” I’d wager 99% of Scotland fans think it’s a shit idea too as they’re club fans too and a fair few will support lower league teams.

If they want their Colt teams to play in a proper league can I suggest Republic of Ireland for Celtic and Northern Ireland for Rangers although I suspect the good people of Ireland will tell them where to go.

Just don’t have a split? It serves absolutely zero purpose.
It does have a purpose, it enables more teams in the league while having a number of fixtures acceptable to UEFA. The alternative to a split is a 10 team league.

1 minute ago, Lebowski said:
9 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It does have a purpose, it enables more teams in the league while having a number of fixtures acceptable to UEFA. The alternative to a split is a 10 team league.

Or a bigger league.

7 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

It does for Celtic,Sevco and Sky Sports and that's the problem with Scottish football and any decent reconstruction... our entire league structure from top to bottom is geared towards having four effin games a season between Celtic and Sevco.. 

Or a bigger league.
I want free beer and hookers but I'm not getting it.

Have you really just watched events unfold in Scottish football and concluded that clubs will take a financial hit willingly? They won't, and they never will.

I'd prefer an 18 team league. It's not happening.

I hear Celtic and Sevco fans complain how they cant compete anymore with English clubs because the English clubs hoover up all the talent from Europe and just loan them back out to smaller clubs. The likes of Chelsea and Man City use it as a business model, yet Celtic and rangers  try do the exact same thing in Scotland.. 

9 minutes ago, Lebowski said:

I want free beer and hookers but I'm not getting it.

Have you really just watched events unfold in Scottish football and concluded that clubs will take a financial hit willingly? They won't, and they never will.

I'd prefer an 18 team league. It's not happening.

A couple of cans and a rub and tug doesnt cost that much mate.. so I'm told... far more achievable than an 18 team league.

Edited by Bohemian

How come the Bigot Brothers get to put their Colts teams in the SPFL while everybody else has to settle for the lower leagues? Never mind, it's a rhetorical question.

Here's a suggestion: Celtic Colts go into the Highland League and Rangers Colts into the Lowland. That way they get to play against full-age players, which seems to be the main idea, and avoids additional holy wars because they'll never play each other.

8 minutes ago, GordonD said:

How come the Bigot Brothers get to put their Colts teams in the SPFL while everybody else has to settle for the lower leagues? Never mind, it's a rhetorical question.

Here's a suggestion: Celtic Colts go into the Highland League and Rangers Colts into the Lowland. That way they get to play against full-age players, which seems to be the main idea, and avoids additional holy wars because they'll never play each other.

Anyone wanting in the Lowland League should have to earn their place ahead of the 141 clubs in the East, West and South of Scotland leagues first.