League Reconstruction 20/21 season

4 hours ago, Jeffo said:

championship was my best season watching Hearts. As someone who goes home and away knowing I don’t have to go to shiteholes like Kilmarnock, Motherwell, Paisley & Glasgow is refreshing.

Rather stay home in Kirkcaldy

Hi Peachies !!!  Hiya pal.....

Edited by C4mmy31

9 hours ago, virginton said:

Seem to recall similar arguments being made when Sevco started up and the ‘finance is everything’ crew confidently predicted that they’d be let into the top flight. And then the second tier. Neither of which actually happened because the clubs voted against it despite the backdrop of Armageddon.

If it were a straightforward majority vote then you’d probably be correct about financial self interest prevailing but it only takes a few dissenting voices - as little as two top flight clubs - to vote it down for other reasons. And if Budge keeps bleating about how hard done to they are then it is only natural that club executives will turn against any proposal that seems to give Hearts a get out of jail card. As working a room of potentially very petty football clubs go she’s demonstrably shite at it.

The two things aren't remotely comparable. In one case we have a club who overspent, went bust and demanded to keep their place at the top table as though nothing had happened. In the other case we have a club who would be relegated before the full season has been completed due to a global pandemic. There will be an element of sympathy for Hearts at boardroom level but not on football fan forums and the like. Reconstruction will stand or fall on whether it makes sense for clubs rather than any chairman holding the view that hearts/thistle etc deserve their fate. 

There were some chairmen who took a principled stance from the outset against sevco rejoining the top flight. Quite rightly as it was an abomination. There were others who were strong armed by fan pressure to reject their admittance to the top flight and then subsequently the first division. Those clubs then did infact make a decision based on finances when faced with a boycott from fans. 

Funny how I've never heard one Cove, Edinburgh City, Stranraer or Forfar fan call for a regionalised league higher up the pyramid. Seems to be a bit of an obsession amongst fans of diddy Premiership clubs.

Since this is a thread that's supposed to based in reality, I'll wager that if there is any reconstruction it will be very subtle (such as a 14 team Premiership) and possible autorelegation from L2. Nothing big will happen, because it doesn't need to.

Seeing fans of teams like Raith suggesting an 18 team league would be exciting, where about 15 teams would have nothing to play for by January, just so they can call themselves a top flight side for the first time this millennium, is a real high point of the whole saga.

Edited by RandomGuy.

8 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Funny how I've never heard one Cove, Edinburgh City, Stranraer or Forfar fan call for a regionalised league higher up the pyramid. Seems to be a bit of an obsession amongst fans of diddy Premiership clubs.

Hard to keep up with all the threads on this but since this is the latest comment, will just add I totally agree with it.

Full-time clubs who exclusively live in the top two leagues shouldn't be making decisions on regional lower leagues. That should be left to clubs like Brechin, Stenhousemuir and Falkirk.

Equally though, the part-time clubs shouldn't be putting forward brainwaves for a top division they'll never trouble.

22 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Seeing fans of teams like Raith suggesting an 18 team league would be exciting, where about 15 teams would have nothing to play for by January, just so they can call themselves a top flight side for the first time this millennium, is a real high point of the whole saga.

A 12 team league stifles fitba with far too many teams too scared to actually play fitba, a larger league would hopefully open games up a bit as teams got a bigger safety margin. 

18 top league and we could even add to the remaining 24 teams, allowing the lower leagues to expand if they wanted too.

4 minutes ago, bennett said:

A 12 team league stifles fitba with far too many teams too scared to actually play fitba, a larger league would hopefully open games up a bit as teams got a bigger safety margin. 

18 top league and we could even add to the remaining 24 teams, allowing the lower leagues to expand if they wanted too.

Naw. Fans go to games that mean something. How many would attend Hamilton v ICT if they were both mid table and nothing to play for? The 18 team League was shite after January when teams levelled out and everyone knew the couple of teams in the frame to be champions or be relegated and the rest were just playing out time.

3 minutes ago, bennett said:

What's this actually based on?

I see people say it constantly on this site, even folk claiming the 12 team division somehow stops clubs playing youth players. 

It's not based in reality at all.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What's this actually based on?

I see people say it constantly on this site, even folk claiming the 12 team division somehow stops clubs playing youth players. 

It's not based in reality at all.

On the youth players point, Hamilton are one of the best at bringing through youngsters despite being in perpetual threat of relegation, and it seems to have helped them. 

I don't think clubs are scared to "play football" they're just not very good at it. 

Just now, coprolite said:

On the youth players point, Hamilton are one of the best at bringing through youngsters despite being in perpetual threat of relegation, and it seems to have helped them. 

Exactly. St Mirren long term proponents of playing youth players in relegation/championship battles aswell.

St Johnstone been the same this season with Ali McCann and Callum Hendry emerging into the first team in the first half of the season despite us being well in a relegation battle.

The "scared to lose" line only ever gets spouted by fans of bigger clubs who never actually watch bottom half games, or fans of lower league clubs who never actually watch bottom half games.

17 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

Naw. Fans go to games that mean something. How many would attend Hamilton v ICT if they were both mid table and nothing to play for? The 18 team League was shite after January when teams levelled out and everyone knew the couple of teams in the frame to be champions or be relegated and the rest were just playing out time.

Right now most of the premierships games are two teams sitting in and basically just sitting in. One of the worst games I watched was  killie v the sheep, even Sawers fell asleep and started snoring. 

Give a larger league a chance to see if it would benefit our game,  it can't make it even worse and we may even see some football played. We've nothing to lose here and spreading the cash around a bit wouldn't do any harm either.

It's just an opinion, I haven't researched it for years and don't have barrowloads of evidence to back it up. (For Random guy)

Will Ann Budge's previous views on league reconstruction come back to bite her on the arse? 

:

"Budge, who recently joined the Scottish Professional Football League's board, said: "I think 42 senior clubs is too many for Scotland.

"You're looking at about half that number.

"We're not throwing people to the dogs and saying you don't matter. We should be saying this is what will work better for you, what fits your profile.""

People calling for an 18 team top division have a romantic notion of how it used to be. It was changed for a reason. The reasons not to have it have been compounded by changes in wider society. The novelty will wear off quickly and the argument that teams can "blood youths" is fine in theory, but will enough people pay about £25.00 to watch it.

An 18 team division also creates a low quality second tier that the 18 would be terrified to drop into because of the disastrous financial consequences.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

7 hours ago, San Starko Rover said:

No one runs Scottish football down as well as our own fans and other than a few loudmouths you’ll meet down south no one gives a shit if we have 10 teams 14 teams or 20 teams. All you ever see on social media is Rangers fans constantly on about the “blue pound” and how every club needs their money, the sad thing is they’re right reading through this. Half the clubs and fans are desperate to keep things as they are to get one extra visit from Old Firm fans most claim to despise.

I'm dipping in and out of these threads but I really don't think fans are desperate for visits from the Old Firm. The issue of Old Firm visits is relevant to what is likely to happen, rather than what most fans want. Most club owners in Scotland are boot-licking arseholes who think their club exists purely to sell its arse to Celtic and Rangers a few times a season. The point is they probably won't back reconstruction.

35 minutes ago, bennett said:

It's just an opinion, I haven't researched it for years and don't have barrowloads of evidence to back it up. (For Random guy)

Well as someone who's spent the last decade following a team who are generally around mid-table, be assured you're talking absolute pish.

30 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Will Ann Budge's previous views on league reconstruction come back to bite her on the arse?

notsurprisedkirk.jpg

MPci4iT.jpeg

it's almost.. and bear with me here.. like she is doing this entirely out of self interest and that she's lacking any objectivity or mental fortitude.

It clearly underlines why it was such a "good idea" to appoint her head of a taskforce.

Edited by Ric

19 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

An 18 team division also creates a low quality second tier that the 18 would be terrified to drop into because of the disastrous financial consequences.

It's certainly a point worth discussing, but that seems like riding two horses. If reconstruction was to happen, then surely that would extend to ensuring there isn't such a cliff edge. You can't look at the current setup and say that's definitely how it would be under the new one.

That said, it is Scottish football of course, so will tend to focus on the slightly myopic top league concerns and ignore the "tail of the snake".