League Reconstruction 20/21 season

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The above was never true despite people thinking it was. It used to be 17% for the champions and 15% for 2nd place. It's now 13.4% for the champions, 9.6% for 2nd place and so on.

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-prize-pot-reaches-25m

Thanks for the link.

It's not a bad split. I don't agree with giving the best teams more money but at these levels it isn't that big a factor.

What are the clubs more likely to agree on?

League expansion with no relegation - Even temporary for a season and making more relegation slots available to get back to normal the following season?

Awarding Celtic the title, relegating Hearts and promoting United.

Finishing this season first - The most ideal scenario but quoting sporting integrity, is finishing the season with different squads fair?

Voiding the season doesn't appear to be an option.

7 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

League expansion with no relegation - Even temporary for a season and making more relegation slots available to get back to normal the following season?

Finishing this season first - The most ideal scenario but quoting sporting integrity, is finishing the season with different squads fair?

I think  the first option is the fairest.

To be honest, no-one apart from brain dead bigots should really care who wins the league, it's completely irrelevant. Who gets promoted and relegated is much more important.

Edited by Hendo

I think all the European leagues will need to do the same thing. The UEFA president has already said Liverpool cant be handed the title.

As much as people quite rightly give them shit, it's a tough one for the SFA and SPFL - a case of damned if they, damned if they don't. Think they are desperate for UEFA or FIFA to come down with some ruling.

Best bet if season can't be finished - Award Celtic title and European places accordingly, have a 14 Team Top Division next year with United and ICT. Equally distribute the prize money between all the Premiership clubs as an olive branch.

Have a 14 team top flight next season playing 39 games, with a Scottish Super Cup added in to please Sky (i.e. give them another Celtic vs Rangers).

On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 18:29, The Reverend said:

As much as I despise the Old Firm, I do acknowledge that they bring money into the game.

The Old Firm bleed Scottish football dry.

With no Old Firm, the rest of the clubs would have a more competitive set up, more fans coming through the gates and more money.

The above was never true despite people thinking it was. It used to be 17% for the champions and 15% for 2nd place. It's now 13.4% for the champions, 9.6% for 2nd place and so on.

But is that not 13.4% of the full 42 team pot rather than 17% of the 12 team pot?

36 minutes ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

The Old Firm bleed Scottish football dry.

With no Old Firm, the rest of the clubs would have a more competitive set up, more fans coming through the gates and more money.

Exactly.

Why do fans feel we need the old firm money, we need that extra money to try and compete ('compete') with them, if they weren't there we would just need to cut our cloth accordingly.

Starting the season with a genuine chance of winning the league or being relegated is far more exciting and appealing to me than more money and knowing 3rd is the height of your clubs ambition.

35 years since a non old firm winner. When does that figure become utterly ridiculous? 

Genuine question, do Celtic and Rangers get the same level of happiness winning a league or cup as any other team? The scenes when Liverpool win the league or Hearts/Hibs winning the Scottish cup I doubt the old firm will ever experience unless they won a European title. 

1 minute ago, ahemps said:

Exactly.

Why do fans feel we need the old firm money, we need that extra money to try and compete ('compete') with them, if they weren't there we would just need to cut our cloth accordingly.

Someone has already forgotten the "ARMAGEDDON" that happened when Rangers died and they created a domino effect and half a dozen other clubs went to the wall?

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

Have a 14 team top flight next season playing 39 games, with a Scottish Super Cup added in to please Sky (i.e. give them another Celtic vs Rangers).

How is home advantage for the final OF game decided - potentially a crucial ten in a row match - and how many police officers will be roped in to give them protection from the idiot bigots on either side?

A 39 game season is a non-starter in the top flight for that reason: if there's a 14 team league at any point in the future then there has to be a split.

2 hours ago, true_rover said:
5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

But is that not 13.4% of the full 42 team pot rather than 17% of the 12 team pot?

Yes, but the overwhelming majority of the 42 team pot comes from the Premiership anyway, so there is no material change in that respect. The lower league clubs are making substantially more than they did in the old SFL - the SPL clubs "gave up" a big chunk of money to enable the merger.

Ross County received £562k for winning the Championship last year, while Partick Thistle got £68k for winning the 1st Division in the last year of the SFL. The STV link in the post below no longer works, but the prize money for the entire SFL followed a similar pattern.

On 18/05/2019 at 20:34, craigkillie said:

The prize money for Division 1 clubs in the final year of the SFL was as follows (STV link):

1st - £68,000
2nd - £67,000
3rd - £66,000
4th - £65,000
5th - £64,000
6th - £62,000
7th - £61,000
8th - £60,000
9th - £59,000
10th - £57,000

If clubs managed to operate at full-time level on that sort of money, then they certainly shouldn't be struggling on 3-8 times as much. If they are, then I'd suggest that's down to their own mismanagement rather than anything else.

4 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Aye, apparently if the season was voided the clubs would potentially lose sponsorship money, TV revenue and the prize money.

3 hours ago, Jeremiah Cole said:

Best solution is to make the season null and void.

No promotion and relegation and draw lots for the European slots.

5 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Image result for father ted down with this sort of thing gif

The top division should have a minimum of 16 clubs playing each other twice, with no split - though I could perhaps be open to persuasion on that. As for the loss of two New New Firm games, I have an ideal solution which no right-thinking person could possibly disagree with - the NNF should be drawn together in the first round of both cups, thereby giving the tv companies and their delightful fans alike what they crave. Sorted.

How is home advantage for the final OF game decided - potentially a crucial ten in a row match - and how many police officers will be roped in to give them protection from the idiot bigots on either side?
A 39 game season is a non-starter in the top flight for that reason: if there's a 14 team league at any point in the future then there has to be a split.
Just take turns like they do in the 6 nations.

One season 2 at ibrox next season 2 at parkhead.

15 hours ago, ftk said:

Just take turns like they do in the 6 nations.

One season 2 at ibrox next season 2 at parkhead.

Egg chasing is not a real sport so can offer no credible solutions.

If you're running a 14 team league then you should just have a normal 7-7 split after 26 games: the teams in the top and bottom halves then play each other twice, with the teams that finished 7th and 8th being given their free weekend on the last day of the season. You could also sort out the fixtures after 32 games with the same principle applying to the final run-in. Everyone gets 38 games; everyone plays each other home and away an equal number of times; the TV companies still get their obligatory pound of flesh in the likelihood of four bigot games.

For me, that would be the best setup applied across three national leagues. Have two automatic relegation/promotion spots between each league, with 12th (league above), 3rd and 4th all qualifying for the semi-finals of a play-off system. Then hold a run-off between the 5th placed side in the top half and the 8th placed side 'winner' of the bottom half to see who gets the last semi-final spot. By expanding the leagues the immediate threat of relegation is lower for clubs in the top flight and second tier than it is right now, while having more movement between the divisions instead of playing the same half dozen teams forty times over a decade. A similar play-off system (including 8th from the bottom half) should apply for at least one of the European spots, but I haven't even tried to work out the effects of the coefficient/new Europa League 2 nonsense on how that should work.

Guest Moomintroll
If you're running a 14 team league then you should just have a normal 7-7 split after 26 games: the teams in the top and bottom halves then play each other twice, with the teams that finished 7th and 8th being given their free weekend on the last day of the season. You could also sort out the fixtures after 32 games with the same principle applying to the final run-in. Everyone gets 38 games; everyone plays each other home and away an equal number of times; the TV companies still get their obligatory pound of flesh in the likelihood of four bigot games.
For me, that would be the best setup applied across three national leagues. Have two automatic relegation/promotion spots between each league, with 12th (league above), 3rd and 4th all qualifying for the semi-finals of a play-off system. Then hold a run-off between the 5th placed side in the top half and the 8th placed side 'winner' of the bottom half to see who gets the last semi-final spot. By expanding the leagues the immediate threat of relegation is lower for clubs in the top flight and second tier than it is right now, while having more movement between the divisions instead of playing the same half dozen teams forty times over a decade. A similar play-off system (including 8th from the bottom half) should apply for at least one of the European spots, but I haven't even tried to work out the effects of the coefficient/new Europa League 2 nonsense on how that should work.

f**k, much as it pains me given your unwarranted shenannigans elsewhere that makes perfect sense, therefore it will never even be under consideration. Bloody good idea though.

On 17/03/2020 at 18:09, The Reverend said:

With Ann Budge apparently calling for league reconstruction, I was wondering how people felt this would work.

I am not sure how a 14 team league would work. I would imagine current TV contracts would specify four Old Firm matches, which would mean the split would have to be retained. 

I would have two national leagues and then regionalise them below that. I think reconstruction won't happen and wither there will be a legal battle or Hearts will be offered a settlement.

The 'fairest' solution under these extraordinary circumstances would be to cancel relegations, promote top-twos throughout & bolt-on the HFL/LFL top-placed sides ~ Brora Rangers/Kelty Hearts ~ to League Two. 

Personally, I'd rather like to see the three lesser divisions each raised to 12 teams at the same time - two teams promoted to Premiership; four teams promoted to Championship; six teams promoted to League One & eight teams promoted to League Two ~ four from HFL & four from LFL. The 12-team divisions would copy the Cymru Premier League split to play a 34-match season.