Sinner-to-Saint

League Reconstruction 20/21 season

3 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

SunSport understands

Oh dear :( 

Just now, Trackdaybob said:

Oh dear :( 

Robert Thomson is usually pretty accurate when it comes to Scottish football as a fan of the club you support should know.

1 minute ago, Lebowski said:
4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Robert Thomson yesterday

« SunSport understands Anderson is ready to commit around £4.75 million — the equivalent of just over £110,000 per club if split evenly between the league’s 42 members. »

What's the betting the remaining 2.75m is being held in reserve if Hearts are relegated....

Don’t be daft it’s a no strings bribe!

3 minutes ago, rainbowrising said:

The BBC wording is interesting as he isnt looking for a straight Yes/No but to tell him what the issues are and what would work for those clubs voting against.  It at least implies the SPFL would then try to shoe-horn a solution to then meet those concerns.  Taking the money via Hearts in this scenario is 'slightly' compromising. 

He’s going to struggle to please everyone much in the same way that Budge has so far. I’ll be surprised if any sort of reconstruction gets approved but the SPFL and Hearts are certainly trying their best to do it.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Robert Thomson is usually pretty accurate when it comes to Scottish football as a fan of the club you support should know.

Should I? 

Oh ok then. Whatever you say boss. 

I've lived in England for 10 years now. I have hardly a clue what goes on up home really. 

None of this is newsworthy down here, unless I go digging, it's easy to lose track. Frankly, I can't be bothered. 

“Ok Mr Anderson we voted for a 14 team league.  Can we have that money now?”

”What money?”

394259AB-1A30-43CC-A410-B4A7180CA37A.jpeg

Just now, Trackdaybob said:

Should I? 

Oh ok then. Whatever you say boss. 

I've lived in England for 10 years now. I have hardly a clue what goes on up home really. 

None of this is newsworthy down here, unless I go digging, it's easy to lose track. Frankly, I can't be bothered. 

'Oh dear :('

30 minutes ago, Lebowski said:
What's the betting the remaining 2.75m is being held in reserve if Hearts are relegated....

It would be needed to make up for the TV money that we will be denied if we aren’t included in the top flight.

Helping to save the rest of Scottish Football is a good cause but it's not the only one that's important.

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, JamesM82 said:

My view is that if you're curtailing the league season, you really should be curtailing the league post-season (playoffs) as well. There's no logical consistency in what the EFL are doing.

It's not an academic exercise. The aim is to establish which teams most deserve to come up and which teams most deserve to go down. Ideally all the originally scheduled games are played, but in the absence of that, surely the closer they get to the full schedule, the less unfair it is to all the teams? Maybe too, more clubs are likely to litigate down there and for bigger sums of money.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

When are the first ties of the preliminary rounds for 2021-22 Scottish Cup scheduled to be played ? As long as it is possible (Covid-19 permitting) to complete the three outstanding matches prior to the commencement of the upcoming season's tournament then I don't see any reason not to go ahead. 

I assume you mean the 2020/21 Scottish Cup here? If so, the preliminary rounds would normally take start in August, but that's obviously not going to happen given that none of the teams who usually participate in them will be able to play by then.

I'm also not sure why it would be a big deal if the 2019/20 tournament finishes after the 2020/21 one has started.

24 minutes ago, Zing. said:

He’s going to struggle to please everyone much in the same way that Budge has so far. I’ll be surprised if any sort of reconstruction gets approved but the SPFL and Hearts are certainly trying their best to do it.

23 Best Agent Smith images | Agent smith, Hugo weaving, Keanu reeves

There's real vibes of a frustrated boss from Doncaster here. Asks Budge on two separate occasions to see if she can propose a sensible reconstruction plan, then gets so exasperated by her utterly hopeless incompetence than he steps in himself to try and get something sorted. I suspect he'll get a bunch of different answers from the clubs about what would work for them, so I'm not convinced it's going to make it more likely to happen, but at least there's a bit of flexibility compared to Budge's weird insistence on acting as though she held the power here.

4 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

There's real vibes of a frustrated boss from Doncaster here. Asks Budge on two separate occasions to see if she can propose a sensible reconstruction plan, then gets so exasperated by her utterly hopeless incompetence than he steps in himself to try and get something sorted. I suspect he'll get a bunch of different answers from the clubs about what would work for them, so I'm not convinced it's going to make it more likely to happen, but at least there's a bit of flexibility compared to Budge's weird insistence on acting as though she held the power here.

Why was he leaving it to her anyway? If he believes it's the right thing to do, he should have been leading the way all along. If he doesn't believe it's the right thing to do, he should be nowhere near it now.

Just now, Pet Jeden said:

Why was he leaving it to her anyway? If he believes it's the right thing to do, he should have been leading the way all along. If he doesn't believe it's the right thing to do, he should be nowhere near it now.

Because, as Budge and Doncaster admitted at the weekend, Budge was always acting as the middle man and refusing to allow Doncaster to speak direct to the Messiah.

Just now, Pet Jeden said:

It's not his job to "believe" anything - it's his job to act on the will of the clubs. He can certainly recommend things, but the SPFL is a club led organisation and if they disagree then they'll vote it down.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's not his job to "believe" anything - it's his job to act on the will of the clubs. He can certainly recommend things, but the SPFL is a club led organisation and if they disagree then they'll vote it down.

Interesting.

So what he is doing now is the will of which club(s)?

And what he did in preparing the original board paper in March was the will of which club(s)?

Edited by Pet Jeden

Interesting. So what he is doing now is the will of which club(s)?

And what he did in preparing the original board paper in March was the will of which club(s)?

a) Hearts and Inverness. Possibly Partick and Falkirk too.

b) everyone else except Rangers.

What do I win?

4 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Interesting.

So what he is doing now is the will of which club(s)?

The proposal to end the season (from April, not March) came from the SPFL Board, of which he is a member alongside various representatives from different divisions. It was claimed at the time that this was based on requests from several clubs, particularly those in the lower leagues, and that was borne out by the fact that the vast majority of the clubs voted in favour of it.

The current proposal is directly linked to that, in the sense that the April paper included a commitment to explore league reconstruction. Therefore the idea of at least discussing league reconstruction was the will of all of the clubs who voted in favour of that proposal (in addition to many of those who voted against it). Budge was put in charge of that committee, which ultimately made a pigs ear of the whole thing to the extent that they couldn't even reach enough agreement to produce a proposal that the clubs could vote on.

It's worth noting that there were several other committees meeting at the same time on a number of issues as part of the SFA/SPFL Joint Response Group, and Doncaster himself was chairing the one related to broadcasting rights. Possibly he now has a bit more time on his hands now that he's sorted that out.