League Reconstruction 20/21 season

36 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

Craig - I think worries about Killie's financial situation are clouding your otherwise logical thinking. The issue is not £1.5m versus £150m. That's a very deliberate misrepresentation you're making there.

Year's 2 onwards of the SKY deal will either be for normal football, or the whole game is goosed anyway - the biggest clubs most of all. Celtic's wage bill is £1m per week. The issue is/was starting year 1 on August 1st or risk the first £30m being renegotiated (and any personal bonuses vanishing) versus losing £1.5m for SKY's lost games + £5-10m given away with 5 years free sponsorship + £5m (?) potentially lost from BT + any compo due to the shafted teams.  Pushing the decision a certain way would be any Celtic supporters on the board because their overwhelming  concern was that absolutely nothing should jeopardise them being ready for starting Euro competition and the £20m or whatever that brings them. And some 9 in a row thing you might have heard of.

Hearts, Partick, Falkirk, Stranraer, Kelty/Bonnyrigg/Brora were barely a consideration.

I have no particular worries about Killie's financial situation. I can't imagine it's amazing, just like it won't be for any club, but we used the furlough scheme, and had lots of players out of contract this summer anyway. We also sold a player for £2m last summer and have a chairman who appears to be willing to put money in if need be.

I don't believe you are posting in good faith here whatsoever. You have repeatedly claimed (despite having no evidence for it) that you think Sky will be wanting to renegotiate the TV deal, even if the SPFL adhere to it to the letter. Now you are suggesting that if they do start the season on time it will be fine, and if they don't then they're only going to want to renegotiate the first year of it. I don't see why that would be the case - if the deal is breached then they would surely be entirely within their rights to rip up the whole thing. Obviously there would still be some TV deal, but there would be no guarantee it would be anything like the same value. You've also added in some conspiracy theory stuff about Celtic fans on the board, a line which you must be raging has got absolutely no traction, even from your own fans or Rangers fans, in the 300 previous times you've alluded to it.

Going back to James Anderson and his money.

I'm assuming the 'no strings attached' line is just in terms of not conditional on reconstruction and not in exchange for anything tangible (i.e. no repayment, no place on the board etc etc).

There must be some conditions attached surely to how the money is split between clubs, what it is spent on etc i.e. retaining administrative staff, Covid testing or other essentials. I'm not convinced Premiership clubs should see any of it either.

10 minutes ago, The_Judge said:

I genuinely expected the majority of Scottish football fans to be incensed at this injustice BUT in actual fact the vast majority of feedback on P&B and Twitter has been "Ha Ha we fucking hate Hearts...get doon!!".

Sorry, I just don't agree that this is an injustice. It's a massively unfortunate way to have to end the season and as I said I have sympathy for any club impacted whether that be by relegation or promotion denied by a play off - i'd hate it if it was my team impacted in such a direct way - but it was, in my mind, the only way to finish the leagues. I'm actually all for reconstruction but it should be as part of an overall review of what is needed going forward and not for what would seem way to assist one of the larger teams in the country.

As for the feedback on P&B, Twitter etc. I think that's generally to be expected given the forums that they are. I would say that the majority of the pushback of this type is either due to rivalry, 'banter' or in a number of cases due to some Hearts fans showing a level of arrogance as to it being almost a 'right' to stay up and teams should be falling over themselves to help them.

I have no beef with Hearts (or any other team) but things teams need to be able to start looking at next season and how that'll work pretty quickly to help clubs survive. FWIW I think that they should be looking at getting talks on reconstruction, SPFL governance review etc. on the table for when the teams are playing again with crowds in the grounds and aim to have something in place for season 21/22...

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I have no particular worries about Killie's financial situation. I can't imagine it's amazing, just like it won't be for any club, but we used the furlough scheme, and had lots of players out of contract this summer anyway. We also sold a player for £2m last summer and have a chairman who appears to be willing to put money in if need be.

I don't believe you are posting in good faith here whatsoever. You have repeatedly claimed (despite having no evidence for it) that you think Sky will be wanting to renegotiate the TV deal, even if the SPFL adhere to it to the letter. Now you are suggesting that if they do start the season on time it will be fine, and if they don't then they're only going to want to renegotiate the first year of it. I don't see why that would be the case - if the deal is breached then they would surely be entirely within their rights to rip up the whole thing. Obviously there would still be some TV deal, but there would be no guarantee it would be anything like the same value. You've also added in some conspiracy theory stuff about Celtic fans on the board, a line which you must be raging has got absolutely no traction, even from your own fans or Rangers fans, in the 300 previous times you've alluded to it.

1. Good. So you don't deny that your £1.5m v £150m comparison was pish.

2. SKY are not the devil. They won't want to create havoc for the sake of it. But they will be under financial pressure and they will want a fair deal.  You think they  won't renegotiate. I say you're naive. Doncaster has just admitted they've taken £6.5m - £11.5m out of the SPFL for last quarter of last season (assuming league sponsorship is worth £1-2m pa). Wakey, wakey.

3. The stuff about Celtic supporters on the board isn't a wind-up. It's just an acknowledgement of human nature. Would be the same for any other team - although nobody else currently has huge dollops of Euro money built into their budgets. You think the Chairman, the lawyer and maybe 1 or 2 others wouldn't let their heart influence them?  Oh, Craig.

Doncaster hasn't "admitted" anything at all - I don't think he's commented on broadcasting rights once, certainly not that I've seen. And I would expect them to be repaid money for last season given that last season was unable to be played finish - the total TV deal was worth something like £18m a year, so if you're not getting a chunk of what you paid for then you're going to be refunded for that. Given the ban of 3 months and counting on football being played in this country, it would be impossible for the SPFL not to breach either last season's TV contract or the upcoming five-year TV contract.

I applaud the arrival of James Andersons cash which will - hopefully - save the lower leagues seasons.

But (back on topic) the official "reconstruction is officially deid - lets boot Hearts into the Championship" really cant come soon enough  -  Its telling that the decent Jambos have disappeared like snow off a dyke on this thread and all we are left with is the intellectual pygmies.

21 minutes ago, Pet Jeden said:

3. The stuff about Celtic supporters on the board isn't a wind-up. It's just an acknowledgement of human nature. Would be the same for any other team - although nobody else currently has huge dollops of Euro money built into their budgets. You think the Chairman, the lawyer and maybe 1 or 2 others wouldn't let their heart influence them?  Oh, Craig.

Selling Tierney was one years Tv deal plus Lawwwell has already said one year out of three in the champions league is what Celtic budget for.

25 minutes ago, Green Day said:

I applaud the arrival of James Andersons cash which will - hopefully - save the lower leagues seasons.

But (back on topic) the official "reconstruction is officially deid - lets boot Hearts into the Championship" really cant come soon enough  -  Its telling that the decent Jambos have disappeared like snow off a dyke on this thread and all we are left with is the intellectual pygmies.

What is there to say?

Guest DAVIDB69
I genuinely can’t believe there are people still arguing the season could have been finished. We’re going around in circles here, it’s been discussed in this thread 5-6 times. 

There was never an attempt to even think about finishing though and Doncaster had no intention of.

The June 10th was a made up date between Doncaster and the sfa to get the season abandoned. he later claimed it was a government decision June 10th which it never was

I appreciate a cross between no money and a defensive government probably would not have allowed it.
40 leagues have resumed or in the process of doing so. 4 did not.

It’s the kick the can philosophy , what happens if leitch says no to the 1st of August restart and if it comes back do we abandon again in say November this time.

The Scottish Government literally banned all football activity until June 10th.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/scottish-football-suspension-extended-until-june-10-medical-advice-paints-gloomy-picture-timely-resumption-201920-season-2535084

“Mr FitzPatrick stated that these restrictions were unlikely to be lifted for at least 13 weeks and that NHS Scotland had been placed on an emergency footing until at least 10 June 2020. Mr FitzPatrick indicated that no group training would be permitted before the legal restrictions are lifted and noted the medical advice that competitive matches could not take place for about six weeks after training and conditioning recommences."

Edited by craigkillie

Guest DAVIDB69
The Scottish Government literally banned all football activity until June 10th.
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/scottish-football-suspension-extended-until-june-10-medical-advice-paints-gloomy-picture-timely-resumption-201920-season-2535084
“Mr FitzPatrick stated that these restrictions were unlikely to be lifted for at least 13 weeks and that NHS Scotland had been placed on an emergency footing until at least 10 June 2020. Mr FitzPatrick indicated that no group training would be permitted before the legal restrictions are lifted and noted the medical advice that competitive matches could not take place for about six weeks after training and conditioning recommences."

It was never a government decision

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52236228

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/scottish-fa-extend-football-suspension-until-june-10/e7q4dladcubz1p2nf4g34edth

1 minute ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Stop trying to be cute with the words.

The SFA spoke to the Govt and implemented the advice before being ordered to do so.

It was clearly a decision made centrally by the Govt, being told to stay indoors and only go out when necessary doesnt translate into "go training and play football".

1 hour ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Are you suggesting Dundee got a brown envelop?
Over 80% of clubs voted to end the season time to move on zippy.
Plus your manager is still in a job because of the early finish to the season.

Actually wasn't there reports of the big hitter offering Dundee a highly lucrative friendly.....

1 hour ago, Ric said:

1) Have any games in the UK gone ahead so far? No. Which suggests getting them played before now is not a reasonable assumption.

2) Have most teams had to let go players (or players intentionally deciding to leave) due to their contracts expiring? Yes. Which suggests getting them played now is not a reasonable option.

I hope that clears up any daft nonsense that we could have somehow finished the season. Calling it was the only option left, either null/void or promotion/relegation.

Cherry picking and pomposity from the usually sensible Rick, did you used to post as Captain Sensible or have I got the wrong guy?

Your putting words in my mouth here Rick, ofcourse games haven't been played yet. Could we have fitted in 8 games plus the new season from August onwards, scrapped the winter break and shortened the league cup.....

Your second point is invalidated by the associations plan to continue the Scottish cup.

Ofcourse it would be daft not to mention your self interest in seeing St Mirren safe from relegation.   So there wasn't only one option available but everyman and his dug already knows that. 

45 minutes ago, Green Day said:

Why so condescending?  It's not a good look.